Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Water Heater Installation Time

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Water Heater Installation Time

    Sometimes it's a pain have the homeowner breathing on you. Right? Majority of them I don't mind though.

    J.C.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Water Heater Installation Time

      It depends if they think they know more than me, or if they're a hairy homeowner, or if they ask 1,000 questions then it pisses me off.

      But if they're a retired tradesmen, just looking for a fellow tradesmen to bullshit with while I repair a pinhole in their copper in the basement, then that's different.
      Proud To Be Union!!

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Water Heater Installation Time

        Water is 8.33lbs per gallon, + the water heater. I always drain them before I move them...I want to be able to walk upright, and bend at the knees when I retire. Why kill yourself?

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Water Heater Installation Time

          There's a trick for homeowners that supervise...talk.
          I mean talk ALOT.
          I work alone, gets lonely...you wanna hang?...I'm all for it..hehehe.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Water Heater Installation Time

            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            There's a trick for homeowners that supervise...talk.
            I mean talk ALOT.
            I work alone, gets lonely...you wanna hang?...I'm all for it..hehehe.
            Rick, is this you posting under Ducky's handle?
            I love my plumber

            "My Hero"

            Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Water Heater Installation Time

              Originally posted by turdjerker View Post
              I must say im pretty SHOCKED at some of the times listed that it takes to replace a 40-50 gal. electric w.h.

              I usaully never have a helper and it rarely takes 2 hours from start to finish! Most of them in my area are in a basement, i immediately disconnect the old water heater and (with the help of my hand truck) move the tank to a location near a floor drain and begin draining. If Im lucky enough to have an outside entrence, i take the tank outside the door (still full), and just let it drain. I never wait on the tank to drain prior to moving it.....While the new tank is filling, i then take the "empty" tank to the truck.

              I cannot imagine taking 4-5 hours with 2 men to replace even much larger more difficult heaters?
              We are talking about GAS heaters, not electric. In my experience they take longer. Electric don't have gas piping or venting to deal with.

              Gas: I figure 3 hours total time including pick-up, selling, removal., etc.
              Electric: I figure 2 hours total.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                I guess we really have to look at this apples to apples. We didn't need to sell the heater as we were called out to fix or replace the heater to begin with. We didn't have to run to pick one up as we stocked them on the truck. If we had to send a guy to the supply house every time we would have to add 2-hours to every heater.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                  Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  Water is 8.33lbs per gallon, + the water heater. I always drain them before I move them...I want to be able to walk upright, and bend at the knees when I retire. Why kill yourself?
                  Dang! You mean you can STILL walk upright and bend at the knees? I'll give you 5 more years.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I guess we really have to look at this apples to apples. We didn't need to sell the heater as we were called out to fix or replace the heater to begin with. We didn't have to run to pick one up as we stocked them on the truck. If we had to send a guy to the supply house every time we would have to add 2-hours to every heater.

                    Mark
                    Not possible here. I see everything from 30 gallon electrics to 100 gallon powervents. Just because someone calls you, you still need to SELL the heater when you get there, or do you price over the phone?
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                      Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Not possible here. I see everything from 30 gallon electrics to 100 gallon powervents. Just because someone calls you, you still need to SELL the heater when you get there, or do you price over the phone?
                      We only carried a 40-gallon gas and a 50-gallon gas (two of each on some trucks) but that covered 90% of the water heaters we did. If it was a commercial heater we had the supply house bring it out while we were draining the tank. We did not go out to the job to sell water heaters. If we didn't sell them over the phone we didn't do the job. The over the phone price was for a standard change out. If the water heater needed extras it cost extra.

                      Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        We only carried a 40-gallon gas and a 50-gallon gas (two of each on some trucks) but that covered 90% of the water heaters we did. If it was a commercial heater we had the supply house bring it out while we were draining the tank. We did not go out to the job to sell water heaters. If we didn't sell them over the phone we didn't do the job. The over the phone price was for a standard change out. If the water heater needed extras it cost extra.

                        Mark
                        Wow, thats easy then. Like I said before, it wouldn't work out here.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I guess we really have to look at this apples to apples. We didn't need to sell the heater as we were called out to fix or replace the heater to begin with. We didn't have to run to pick one up as we stocked them on the truck. If we had to send a guy to the supply house every time we would have to add 2-hours to every heater.

                          Mark
                          Right, I keep at least a few spare 40 & 50 gal nat. vent and Pv, as well as electric on the truck at all times.
                          I have 3 different supplies within 15 minutes of where I live, they'll deliver , but I have yet to want to try that out as far as timing is concerned.
                          I just call ahead and pick up on the fly.

                          A point to mention that larger shop owners who see a larger number of tasks done in comparison will attest to, experience.
                          If the stock, fittings and routine are more familiar to you, the time spent is less.
                          If your running back to the truck to grab tools or parts you didn't think to bring, it's more time.
                          If you're taking more time to think about things that should be second nature, it's more time.
                          If your solder technique is still in the trial and error stage, it takes more time.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                            I had posted this in the truck threads but below is a picture of my old service truck. I saw the guy I sold it to driving around Las Vegas so I got him to stop so I could snap some photos. Having room for stuff was not an issue and saved us a lot of time.

                            Mark
                            Attached Files
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Water Heater Installation Time

                              9 to 19 hours for me lately


                              I sometimes feel I need Aflac! after doing them.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X