X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Installation Time

Just out of curiousity, how long on average does it take you guys to replace a gas water heater? I am somewhere between 2 to 2.5 hours if all goes relatively well.

Re: Water Heater Installation Time

In and out, nothing to change -1 1/2 hour or less. Add a stand, expansion tank, gas up to code, all the extras; I 'm about the same as you- 2- 2 1/2 hours.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Seems fast Does that include time to drain the old one?
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Yup. I usually drain them them halfway or if they're on the ground, I'll just cart them off outside with my appliance dolly and break the drain valve off. Most WH are in the garage so it makes for an easy day.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ok. Rick just got home. He said anywhere from 1-4 hours. I guess it just depends on where it is located. You got it made if they are mostly in garages.
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I would guess it takes 3 hours total time on average.

Get there, sell the heater, drain old heater, get new heater, cut out old heater, install new heater, test, clean up, collect $.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Usually two to three hours as most wh's here are in the attic with pull down stairs. I always fiqure 4 hours for pick up, installation (making the new fivr heaters fit!), disposal and any pre-measuring that may have been involved.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Robert says 1-3 hrs depending on the code and venting upgrades.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Gas off
                  Cold supply off, open faucet hot side above to vent water lines, remove aerator for later purging of sediment as tank fills.
                  Attach pump & hose, start draining
                  Start solder-prefabbing hot/cold copper stubs w/vac breaker & 3/4" fip (brass, my preference)
                  Begin disconnect on gas, hot & cold for old heater
                  Drainage should be almost done, if not completely done....slide old tank over w/2 wheeler.
                  Go to town on cold feed, once connected start fill, making sure hot upstairs is still open to vent air from tank...then connect gas & vent as it fills.
                  Measure & cut hot supply as tank continues to fill, tighten into place, shut cold feed to stop pressure, solder hot in place.

Thats an hour, an ideal description of an easy, straight-forward install.

Comment

My wife forgot to mention my heaters drain in about 20 mins, I vapor locvk then, remove the drain bibb and install a 3/4 ball valve, nipple and hose adapter, I then remove the flex and let it fly

Draining this way is great, I sell many service contracts because the customer see's what comes out of his old unit
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

DuckButterI'd love to see that one hour install on a gas water heater. The new heater is never the same size as the old, the flue needs to be shortened/lengthened.... I thought I was slow installing one even though I am steady getting it. About 2-4 hours depending upon location, exp tank. I drain with a 12 v pump, I made a 1/2" cpvc pipe with a hose adapter to fit through the cold inlet if the drain is clogged with setiment.(After draining about 5 gallons from an 80 gallon heater, heater had so much sediment it decided it was done draining) Homeowner had 4 guys drag it over the nice hardwood floors.

Comment

I bid three hours, not including travel time. Most around here are in basements.

Comment

I bid 4 hrs....if you time everything along with draining, you can do it in an hour on the job...conditions permitting.
                          Pickup, stocking, drive time & disposal add up to a half day.

Comment

Did one once in under twenty minutes. Did one once that took two days.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Did one once in under twenty minutes. Did one once that took two days.
                              20 gal point of use electric, difficult indirect added to a boiler with wiring, relay and new zone.
                              I get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X