Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Health Insurance....

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Wow, you go with the gold treatment, I just go for duct tape and motrin.
    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I wonder how many wounds trademen have repaired with ducttape. I know it's the first thing I go for to keep me moving.

J.C.
    Rick too! I even bought him duct tape band aides. By the time the adhesive of the duct tape wears off the cut is healed.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I have the best work bandaid, duct tape and paper towel!!

I look at medical insurance as something I need when I get hurt bad enough to have to stay in the hospital.

I never go unless something is falling off!!!
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'm in Canada.....so I pay for the dentist, chiropractor, prescriptions....but if I get hit by a bus or need chemo, etc., I'm covered by Medicare. Of course, my outrageous taxes I pay are fees in themselves. Still, to go to the doctor is pretty easy.....

Then again, in Canada, I can't buy Twinkies or get 5 magazine subscriptions for the price of 1.

Or that funky Smuckers peanut butter and jelly mix in the bottle....

Or get one of those Monster Thickburgers I keep reading about....

Or a 24 Volt starter kit marked down to a penny.....

Or a 24 Volt combo kit for $199 or less.....

But the beer is 5 percent alcohol or more....thereby increasing the chances I will have to partake of the Canadian health care system perhaps sooner than later.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I wonder how many wounds trademen have repaired with ducttape. I know it's the first thing I go for to keep me moving.

J.C.
          I keep a bottle of alcohol in the cab to drown any open cuts or when bad things come in contact with broken skin, if it's a bad cut...PVC solvent seals it nice.
          It works, I have yet to get so much as a pink spot in the area.
          I might consider a ride to the E.R when somethings been cut off...but when avoidable, I avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            I keep a bottle of alcohol in the cab to drown any open cuts or when bad things come in contact with broken skin, if it's a bad cut...PVC solvent seals it nice.
            It works, I have yet to get so much as a pink spot in the area.
            I might consider a ride to the E.R when somethings been cut off...but when avoidable, I avoid.

Uh, you won't need HEALTH insurance if you keep putting pvc solvent on open wounds. Your life insurance might come in handy though--for your family.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              Uh, you won't need HEALTH insurance if you keep putting pvc solvent on open wounds. Your life insurance might come in handy though--for your family.
              Yeah, that stuff can cause cancer if I recall correctly. Might want to cut that habit out!
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

in all the times i've been to kaiser, i only had 1 bad experience. the e.r. is great and they know me there

my personal dr. is also great and the specialty dr's are great too.

i guess when you work for 5 different kaiser dr's, they talk.

even my dr. is watching my plumbers milkshake

my blood pressure and cholesterol both fell into good/ normal #'s yesterday.

he asked what i was doing different.
                i told him about the k-60 shake

so far so good for kaiser. even though the deductibles and co-pays are up, so is my health

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  in all the times i've been to kaiser, i only had 1 bad experience. the e.r. is great and they know me there

my personal dr. is also great and the specialty dr's are great too.

i guess when you work for 5 different kaiser dr's, they talk.

even my dr. is watching my plumbers milkshake

my blood pressure and cholesterol both fell into good/ normal #'s yesterday.

he asked what i was doing different.
                  i told him about the k-60 shake

so far so good for kaiser. even though the deductibles and co-pays are up, so is my health

rick.
                  Sadly I spend a lot of time a Kaiser but I really do like the doctors there so it could be worst.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

First Plan is our Insurance. 80%-20% at pretty much at any Clinic or Hospital, but if I go to our Hospital 100%. Family Doctor visits, $10.00 co-pay the rest covered. All meds, $7.75 a bottle, doesn't matter if the meds are $10.00-$10,000.00 a bottle. The kids are on a better plan, for 100% coverage and Dental. The wife and I go threw her work Insurance and I buy the kids plan. 2 plans for them, to get the 100%.

We all also have Life Insurances and I also have Dismemberment Insurance, because of my type of work, so far I have never used it, Knock on wood 3 times...

And let me tell you, what we pay a month is outrageous, but we have to have it.
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      If PVC solvent causes cancer, we're all done.

Comment

Did a little reading, PVC used to have additives that were known carcinogens that have been removed from production.
                        The cancer was mainly a concern for factory workers that were constantly exposed to high levels over years.
                        I may be wrong, but I think it's what that liquid bandaid stuff is made of...the base is acetone, also the base for nail polish remover.
                        You can put this to the test by putting PVC primer or glue on hard nail polish.

Comment

Originally posted by UA22PLumberdude View Post
                          ...:shudder:.....I've been to military doctors......I'd rather go with an x-acto knife,and a surgery for dummies handbook.

I did that just 2 days ago.......cut a cyst out of my foot, followed up with hydrogen peroxide and super glue to close it back up and seal it.

As long as it don't turn black I'm moving on with it.

And DB that is why I don't like being around PVC Glue and Cleaner; no one has retired from that stuff yet.

Messes more with the respiratory system, nervous system.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Did a little reading, PVC used to have additives that were known carcinogens that have been removed from production.
                            The cancer was mainly a concern for factory workers that were constantly exposed to high levels over years.
                            I may be wrong, but I think it's what that liquid bandaid stuff is made of...the base is acetone, also the base for nail polish remover.
                            You can put this to the test by putting PVC primer or glue on hard nail polish.
                            That liquid bandaid stuff is like super glue. Did you just say you were polishing your nails. . .for the sake of science
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Did a little more reading, from what I read the solvent can be EXTREMELY dangerous, if you drink it....guess I'll have to stick with coffee.
                              Here's a copy/paste from an article on the CDC's research on PVC:

"One recent study linked premature human births to maternal exposure to two phthalates, MEHP and DEHP, the most commonly used plasticizers (Environmental Health Perspectives, 2003, vol. 111, no. 14). Another showed that women with endometriosis had significantly higher-than-average DEHP concentrations in their blood (Human Reproduction, 2003, vol. 18, no. 7). And the CDC’s 2000 study found significantly higher levels of MBHP, a proven reproductive and developmental toxicant in rodents, in its female subjects of reproductive age (20 to 40 years old).
                              However, a conflicting recent study concluded that DEHP and DINP phthalates are “not likely” to cause cancer in humans (Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 2003, vol. 33, no. 6). Also in 2003, the CDC issued a report stating that “median phthalate exposures” remain far below levels that could adversely affect humans.
                              Still, controversy continues, especially about soft plastic toys and teethers, which usually are not labeled as containing PVC. Following a four-year scientific review, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently declared PVC toys safe. The Toy Industry Association claims that generations of children have played with, and sucked on, toys made from pliable vinyl, with no evidence of adverse effects."

The chemicals mentioned are known components in PVC that can be health risks ...I agree with the fact that continuous exposure ain't good, but for the once or twice every year that I get a cut thats big enough to worry me for infection, it works better than a bandaid or superglue thats brittle and cracks quickly in an active area.
                              I've used the liquid bandaid and found myself having to constantly re-apply it as it cracked, PVC cement is more elastic, flexible.
                              There's no question that PVC solvent is NOT made with human use in mind, but the simple fact is I come in physical contact with it all the time....often when I get home I have to peel off the "extra skin" as my wife calls it.
                              Using band-aids (or duct tape) is almost pointless when working. If anything, it creates a place for dirt and nasties to hide in an enclosed & moist area...I'd sooner keep the area open and dry.

The right thing to do for a cut that is big enough to concern anyone for infection is to get stitches.
                              The base in superglue is Acetone, also known as dimethyl Ketone...which is the base for PVC solvent.
                              Superglue also warns of negative effects from continued long-term exposure, there's a warning even on the liquid bandaid label against longterm use.
                              I'm no Doctor, chemical engineer or expert, but until I see hard facts to the contrary..I won't worry.
                              As for PVC solvent exposure...no residential plumber I know is able to avoid it, there's no good way to ventilate the underside of a sink, some guys wear gloves but the majority don't because it makes gripping and working in tight spaces too difficult.

Comment

So the upshot is to wear gloves and not drink from the bottles no matter how pretty the color

Everything has it's warnings. Just use common sense.

It probably isn't so safe to play in strange people's poop all day either.
                                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                                X