Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Train You Family For The Future?

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    There wasn't any IT jobs back in 1901 because the technology wasn't around.

Straight to the point, I think your alil high strung on the tradesmen thing. It takes all types of jobs to make this world go round smoothly.
    Yes, I am "high-strung" on craftsmanship for sure, thats because I am a craftsman and this world was built on the very same principles that trades offer..

But thats ok, Nothing wrong with having pride.

Sure, IT is great now, But it will fade.......

Anyone remember the Grumman layoffs in the 80's?

My stepfather still has not recovered.................

What I do find Most interesting though is how MOST tradesman want "better" for there kids..........ask yourself, which is really better ...

Just because you have a bad back and feel you are no use at 40 , doesn't mean you are done.

How about teaching plumbing when you hit 40?

How about starting a plumbing camp?

They have "code camps" for the IT guys , GEE, I wonder why no on wants to be a trade guy....

Its all good, and thats what also makes this country GREAT, We can become as we choose.

Thanks for your honest input !
    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      I'm 40, my back is twisted, knee's are going, joints ache...once thats done I'm dead weight...maybe.
      Or maybe YOU can stand up and be proud that you were a plumber and protected thousands of human lives by making health possible, THEN you could be come an expert in your field, for instance get paid to write a column, teach plumbing, company rep etc .

With YOUR experience your choices are just beginning NOT ending.

You can't go to any school in the amount of time that school is and know what you know,

Give yourself some credit and be Remarkable, I know its hard, but just do it,

All your years in the business is a blessing and should be seen that way , NOT the opposite ...Think about it.......
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
        Or maybe YOU can stand up and be proud that you were a plumber and protected thousands of human lives by making health possible, THEN you could be come an expert in your field, for instance get paid to write a column, teach plumbing, company rep etc .

You can't go to any school in the amount of time that school is and know what you know,

All your years in the business is a blessing and should be seen that way , NOT the opposite ...Think about it.......
        I can relate to much of what you say but I feel my one failure in life was not getting a college degree. I believe a college degree opens up many opportunities which are unobtainable otherwise. At the same time there are no laws that say a person with a college degree cannot work as a Tradesman.

My kids are not all working in their majors. My Highway Patrol son was in Mechanical Engineering. My Army Officer son was in Criminal Justice. My Commercial Pilot son was in Fire Science. The three girls are all working in their majors. All six kids are happy with where they are.

You talk about your stepfather never recovering from the Grumman lay-off and I have a brother-in-law who never recovered from the Trail-mobile layoffs from the same time period. I always wondered what might have happened to him had he had a college degree to fall back on. I know his wife (my sister) went back to college and earned her second degree and ended up supporting their family working for the State.

The work I do today I started doing 20-years ago and part of why I do it is I knew my body would not last doing hard labor until I was 65 and retired. At 55 I doubt I will ever get the chance to go back to finish college but I know if I had earned a degree when I was younger I would have more choices available to me today.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm really not following your logic plumbingskool.

I'll let my boys decide what path in life they choose. I hope whatever it is that they will have the same passion for it as I do plumbing.

Sometimes doing what you love is tough. If someone is in debt upto to their eyeballs getting their masters but doing what they love, they win.

If you want to see a miserable person, talk to someone that hates their job. Before I went into plumbing I followed the dollar. I regret not doing what I always wanted to do (plumbing) and I am sorry my family had to tolerate me during that period.

Some people look at my dirty hands and smelly van with disgust, but it's them I feel sorry for.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
            Yes to college. I might give birth in Croatia so they have a dual citizenship.

If my boy wants to be a plumber and carry on with the family business that is fine.

If my girl wants to marry a plumber I will tell her to think twice

If the kids strive to learn more and succeed they.
            dual citizenship is cool but, they wouldn't be able to be the President of the United States.
            Brent

Comment

[quote=ToUtahNow;144903]I can relate to much of what you say but I feel my one failure in life was not getting a college degree. I believe a college degree opens up many opportunities which are unobtainable otherwise. At the same time there are no laws that say a person with a college degree cannot work as a Tradesman.

Do you really feel that ?

Or has society made you feel that way?

Think about if you were a plumber in 1940....Would you feel that you missed out then?

I bet NOT!

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

The work I do today I started doing 20-years ago and part of why I do it is I knew my body would not last doing hard labor until I was 65 and retired. At 55 I doubt I will ever get the chance to go back to finish college but I know if I had earned a degree when I was younger I would have more choices available to me right now.

Mark
              No need , here is an idea,

Write your local boy scouts chapter and ask them to consider a plumbing merit badge, and then help teach it,

Man, I am so saddened when I here this kind of stuff.......

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              I'm really not following your logic plumbingskool.

Excellent , That means I am not boring and the same ole

The logic is "why do we NOT share our skills, But instead pay to learn others"

Sometimes doing what you love is tough. If someone is in debt upto to their eyeballs getting their masters but doing what they love, they win.
              You just made my night with that statement

I love to teach plumbing , talk about it , blog about it and converse / debate as much as I can , I eat and sleep as little as I can so I can learn more and more,

I know others think I am nuts , "over passionate" etc , But thats ok, I am who I am, and in fact I am one poor dude, after having 6 kids BUT that was my choice, skill and family are my life, Call me a young old fashioned guy , but thats ok too,

If you want to see a miserable person, talk to someone that hates their job. Before I went into plumbing I followed the dollar. I regret not doing what I always wanted to do (plumbing) and I am sorry my family had to tolerate me during that period.
              Oh yea, My parents were all about college and always forcing me into some retarded thing that makes no difference,

So yes, doing something you love is better then anything

Some people look at my dirty hands and smelly van with disgust, but it's them I feel sorry for.

Oh , I could tell you a story about that and maybe in fact I will.

Besides me just being a plumbing buff, I also work on swimming pools, because they have cool plumbing and nice ladies poolside

Anyhow , One day this "rich *****" comes out telling me to "hurry, I have to go" while I was balancing her chemicals.

She said: " Hey pool guys, lets go , hurry hurry hurry"

I responded: Would you rush your Doctor?

She responded: Your no where as important as a Doctor...

I responded: Oh yea, Why do you think that > If I was not trained right your water could fill up with tons of bacteria and then you could get sick and would need a doctor.....

So point being , I think that many people in this world in many positions are just purely under-appreciated if you ask me,

Comment

Do you really feel that ?
                Yes I am an over-achiever by nature and not having a degree is a failure.

Or has society made you feel that way?
                You would need to know me better as society has little affect on me.

Think about if you were a plumber in 1940....Would you feel that you missed out then?
                Yes I would as they had college back then as well.

I bet NOT!
                I would take that bet and you would lose.

No need , here is an idea,

Write your local boy scouts chapter and ask them to consider a plumbing merit badge, and then help teach it,
                Having been a Boy Scout leader at both the local level and District level for better than a decade I am fairly familiar with what is needed.

Man, I am so saddened when I here this kind of stuff.......
                Don't be sad for me as I am quite happy with my current position. I am still in the industry but I am making more of an impact now and getting paid much better than when I had a shop full of plumbers. Still a degree in Mechanical Engineering would be a plus right now.

Mark
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

By the way Rick's wife and my buddy Joey is one of my heros as she earned her Masters at a very young age.

Mark

Comment

I want my (on its way) kid to be a doctor, that way they will make tons more money than their plumber dad and also be able to take care of my health when I am old. I need to start a savings program for medical school before she is even born!
                    (I am partly just kidding around, of course I want my future kids to do whatever they want to do, but I hope I can give them lots of opportunities to choose from!)
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yes I am an over-achiever by nature and not having a degree is a failure.

You would need to know me better as society has little affect on me.

Yes I would as they had college back then as well.

I would take that bet and you would lose.

Having been a Boy Scout leader at both the local level and District level for better than a decade I am fairly familiar with what is needed.

Don't be sad for me as I am quite happy with my current position. I am still in the industry but I am making more of an impact now and getting paid much better than when I had a shop full of plumbers. Still a degree in Mechanical Engineering would be a plus right now.

Mark
                      Mark,

Yea, I wasn't sad for you , More just at the general statement, I often hear to many people say " Yea, I never went to school, like it was a bad thing."

@the boy scout thing:

My Dad was scout and then became a scout master of our troop as well for a time, then he stopped after he retired, My brother and I were also a boy scouts as well.

I had no idea you were even in the scouts when I actually wrote that , How could I have known, but yea, It was just an example that turned out bad.

In the end , the choice is up to the individual, My preference is a skilled trade not a text trade,

Mark,

I really enjoy our conversations, so here is another question that I would love to hear your opinion on.

If learning how to plumb took 7 years and cost $120k, you got a certificate ( degree ) and then you had a fancy graduation and started at $100k a year..Would you consider that a "better education"?

Comment

Mark,

I really enjoy our conversations, so here is another question that I would love to hear your opinion on.

If learning how to plumb took 7 years and cost $120k, you got a certificate ( degree ) and then you had a fancy graduation and started at $100k a year..Would you consider that a "better education"?
                        I don't believe it has to be a one or the other but should include both. When I left a Union HVAC shop to become a plumber I took a 50% cut in pay because I wanted to be a plumber. I enjoy the trade and have been in it for better than 35-years. I have also been a licensed Contractor in multiple States for better than 27-years. At the age of 35 my elbows started giving me problems and I could no longer work with large pipes. At the same time I found another niche I could fill so I expanded my exposure in the Industry and 12-years later sold my shop so I could better concentrate on the niche I found. However, regardless of my accomplishments there is still one I never achieved. I believe it would be a mistake if you don't at least give your kids a chance at college.

Mark

BTW: I had 5-kids in college all at the same time and all six of my kids went to out-of-State colleges. Don't let college sneak up on your kids without putting some savings away.

Comment

I partied like a rock star in my 20's, went military rather than listen to advice to go to school and worked dead end jobs until I finally pinned down a decision to go plumbing within the limited options I had left due to my own sloth.

Pride?
                          Customer calls me to thank me, his gas bill was $180 less in February this year over last years, because when he wanted the cheapy draft vent boiler for $500 less...I convinced him to get the higher efficiency...thats pride.
                          I suspect I'd be alot more proud if I were part of the design team on an engineering project for NASA, or a programmer for a new operating system that finally takes some of the leverage away from Mr Gates.
                          Maybe I wouldn't, but I'll never know.

I love my job, I thoroughly enjoy dealing with the majority of my customers.
                          Plumbing is good, I challenge myself, sure...but I should have gone to college...THEN became a plumber if it suited me.
                          This isn't about me, you, or trade pride, it's about him.
                          He won't have to look back and wonder, not if I can help it.

Comment

I don't believe it has to be a one or the other but should include both. When I left a Union HVAC shop to become a plumber I took a 50% cut in pay because I wanted to be a plumber. I enjoy the trade and have been in it for better than 35-years. I have also been a licensed Contractor in multiple States for better than 27-years. At the age of 35 my elbows started giving me problems and I could no longer work with large pipes. At the same time I found another niche I could fill so I expanded my exposure in the Industry and 12-years later sold my shop so I could better concentrate on the niche I found. However, regardless of my accomplishments there is still one I never achieved. I believe it would be a mistake if you don't at least give your kids a chance at college.

Mark

BTW: I had 5-kids in college all at the same time and all six of my kids went to out-of-State colleges. Don't let college sneak up on your kids without putting some savings away.
                            I have to confess, I thought you were a college grad.
                            I couldn't agree more with your opinion...no exaggeration, I typed my last post not knowing what you'd posted.

Comment

I partied like a rock star in my 20's, went military rather than listen to advice to go to school and worked dead end jobs until I finally pinned down a decision to go plumbing within the limited options I had left due to my own sloth.

Pride?
                              Customer calls me to thank me, his gas bill was $180 less in February this year over last years, because when he wanted the cheapy draft vent boiler for $500 less...I convinced him to get the higher efficiency...thats pride.
                              I suspect I'd be alot more proud if I were part of the design team on an engineering project for NASA, or a programmer for a new operating system that finally takes some of the leverage away from Mr Gates.
                              Maybe I wouldn't, but I'll never know.

I love my job, I thoroughly enjoy dealing with the majority of my customers.
                              Plumbing is good, I challenge myself, sure...but I should have gone to college...THEN became a plumber if it suited me.
                              This isn't about me, you, or trade pride, it's about him.
                              He won't have to look back and wonder, not if I can help it.

Thanks for posting duck !

How about when you set that water heater just right for the customer and they enjoy that "nice hot bath" ....Oh yea, being a plumber sucks
                              /
                              I wonder if we removed all the plumbing in the world and then people needed someone to re-install it........The how important would the plumber be?

Sure we would

Comment

I have to confess, I thought you were a college grad.
                                I couldn't agree more with your opinion...no exaggeration, I typed my last post not knowing what you'd posted.

See my point exactly , He wanted to be something , YET he became it anyhow

Does that make sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X