Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Train You Family For The Future?

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    By the way Rick's wife and my buddy Joey is one of my heros as she earned her Masters at a very young age.

Mark
    Oh Mark

I always knew I wanted to finish school early and play later. I learned the art of partying like a rock star and ace-ing my classes though

After College (I was 20) I had to decide if I wanted to go to art school or get my Master's degree. I decided to get my Master's and I could always go to art school later. So at 22 I had a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology.

Rick always knew he wanted to be a plumber and chose not to go to college and put off what he knew he wanted.

At the end of the day I don't think the route we took matters. What matters is we both love our jobs-I even have an affinity for his!
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      Some people look at my dirty hands and smelly van with disgust, but it's them I feel sorry for.
      Hats off to you sir, thats exactly what goes through my mind when I stop at the store on the way home from an emergency w/h at 6pm as the others in line look at me...some know, others prefer the superficial righteous look of judgement.
      The boys still going to college though, I'll let him do plumbing once he has his PHD in nuclear physics

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        After College (I was 20) I had to decide if I wanted to go to art school or get my Master's degree. I decided to get my Master's and I could always go to art school later. So at 22 I had a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology.
        This might explaIn my strangely inherent gravitation towards whining 'bout my woes to you...LOL...I really didn't know this about you.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Hats off to you sir, thats exactly what goes through my mind when I stop at the store on the way home from an emergency w/h at 6pm as the others in line look at me...some know, others prefer the superficial righteous look of judgement.
          The boys still going to college though, I'll let him do plumbing once he has his PHD in nuclear physics
          Duck isn't it really about what your son wants to do in life?

Rick's parents had all kinds of plans for him too. Not going to college and becoming a plumber was not at all what they had in mind. But he is happy and successsful.
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            This might explaIn my strangely inherent gravitation towards whining 'bout my woes to you...LOL...I really didn't know this about you.
            I have lots of surprises. Besides it takes a special kind of girl to be married to Rick
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
              See my point exactly , He wanted to be something , YET he became it anyhow

Does that make sense?
              I mean no offense to Mark, as I think he might agree...the word "became" in the context you used it should been been "seems".
              I can articulate pretty effectively at high levels of conversation on a variety of topics.
              I have a pretty good understanding of the unified theory (M-theory)..I know the basics of programming, I adore following up on the latest breakthroughs in technology, bio-technology and even cosmology as the Hubble, Chandra & others have completely opened vast fronteers into the topic.
              I love those things, I have even been mistaken in conversation as a college grad over my vocabulary and depth of knowledge on a variety of topics.
              I still have no degree.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                Duck isn't it really about what your son wants to do in life?
                Yes, and he wants to be a Doctor, or else...dammit

Truth be known, he has almost no similar interests to me...kid loves animals, we're pretty sure he's going to be a zoologist, for now he just belongs in a zoo.

We could combine the trade with his degree, he'd be a zoo plumber.

Comment

Let me preface this with that I'm not trying to say that plumbing or trades are a bad profession, but just that your dismissal of college education is not a good idea.

I rather work "smarter NOT harder" But thanks
                  If you don't want to work hard, it doesn't matter if you are a plumber or a software engineer, you aren't going to be as successful as you can be.

Oh No, The Industry is dead at least In America, If you want to talk GLOBAL, the sure, IT is the way to go, But if you plan to stay here in America, you better learn a trade and learn one fast
                  That is just not true. Take any large IT company, they still have a large american presence, and it isn't going away.

Since beginning of 2008

1. 750,000 + houses lost from this economy
                  2. Gas is rising by the week at this point
                  3. Loss of jobs is just growing
                  So I ask you this....

You think that with this market and economy IT will be booming?

Oh yea, Hold on let me tell my kids that Daddy isn't going to pay for the heat , he rather buy a gadget he don't need.
                  So you think that IT is just going to go away. Not a chance.
                  1. I bet you do plenty of research online, look up specifications, and learn about new things for your trade that way. You probably also manage some of your finances that way too (e.g., online bill pay).
                  2. You think that Wal-Mart the Home Depot and every other large store or business is going to stop using IT to make their operation more efficient?
                  3. Our cars have more dollar value of silicon than steel now. SOmeone needs to design and program that silicon.
                  4. You are going to stop making phone calls, many of which are carried over IP (computer) networks now.
                  5. Cable TV is a thing of the past.
                  6. The defense industry is not going to find new ways to kill things using better technology?

IT is here and it is here to stay. Sure there was a downturn. If I got a job in 2004 after my M.S. instead of in 2006 when I got my Ph.D. I would have made 1/2 as much. SOme of that is the Ph.D., but if I did my search in 2006 with an M.S. I would have gotten 50% more than in 2004.

The Director of the patents department just released an official statement the other day saying " I think everything we need has already been invented".

Like I have said in other threads, These new years coming up will all be about what we really NEED, not what we really want.

I know that many college guys will be depressed as most have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of loans and a paper that says "Masters"

But really ? You're in debt for that "MASTERS"
                  I got paid for all of my graduate work (M.S. and Ph.D.). Most other people in my department did as well. You live in NY just like I do, the tuition for a SUNY school is a bargain at ~$5000 a year. A $20,000 investment isn't that much. How much does a plumber spend on his tools, his truck, advertising, and everything else needed to get started. I would be surprised if it doesn't approach or exceed the cost of a college education.

What are you really a master off?

Learn a trade and your a MASTER PLUMBER FOR LIFE!
                  Get a degree and you have it for life. After your first couple of jobs your degree is much less important as far as grades or what it is in, but that you have your ticket punched still counts for a lot, at least in IT and a lot of other industries.

You learn a lot more than just your core area through a college program, and sitting through classes for 12-24 hours a week is actually a really efficient way to learn things.

And you can even teach it to others and not charge them, OMG , I know that would be insane

Remember one thing:

There was no "IT" in 1901 , BUT there was "tradesman"
                  There are even older professions, but that doesn't mean I want my kids going into them.

Hit me better then that, I can easily rebut that geeks have bad backs from sitting all day,

The point is , if you don't work right, you can get hurt doing anything
                  But does that bad back prevent you from doing your job? Maybe? But you can't argue that there isn't more opportunity to hurt yourself doing physical labor than white collar work.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    I want my (on its way) kid to be a doctor, that way they will make tons more money than their plumber dad and also be able to take care of my health when I am old. I need to start a savings program for medical school before she is even born!
                    (I am partly just kidding around, of course I want my future kids to do whatever they want to do, but I hope I can give them lots of opportunities to choose from!)
                    Service Guy,

You slipped it in there that you're expecting a daughter. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

If you don't want to work hard, it doesn't matter if you are a plumber or a software engineer, you aren't going to be as successful as you can be.
                      Well said.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Let me preface this with that I'm not trying to say that plumbing or trades are a bad profession, but just that your dismissal of college education is not a good idea.

That is just not true. Take any large IT company, they still have a large american presence, and it isn't going away.

So you think that IT is just going to go away. Not a chance.
                        1. I bet you do plenty of research online, look up specifications, and learn about new things for your trade that way. You probably also manage some of your finances that way too (e.g., online bill pay).
                        2. You think that Wal-Mart the Home Depot and every other large store or business is going to stop using IT to make their operation more efficient?
                        3. Our cars have more dollar value of silicon than steel now. SOmeone needs to design and program that silicon.
                        4. You are going to stop making phone calls, many of which are carried over IP (computer) networks now.
                        5. Cable TV is a thing of the past.
                        6. The defense industry is not going to find new ways to kill things using better technology?

IT is here and it is here to stay. Sure there was a downturn. If I got a job in 2004 after my M.S. instead of in 2006 when I got my Ph.D. I would have made 1/2 as much. SOme of that is the Ph.D., but if I did my search in 2006 with an M.S. I would have gotten 50% more than in 2004.

I got paid for all of my graduate work (M.S. and Ph.D.). Most other people in my department did as well. You live in NY just like I do, the tuition for a SUNY school is a bargain at ~$5000 a year. A $20,000 investment isn't that much. How much does a plumber spend on his tools, his truck, advertising, and everything else needed to get started. I would be surprised if it doesn't approach or exceed the cost of a college education.

Get a degree and you have it for life. After your first couple of jobs your degree is much less important as far as grades or what it is in, but that you have your ticket punched still counts for a lot, at least in IT and a lot of other industries.

You learn a lot more than just your core area through a college program, and sitting through classes for 12-24 hours a week is actually a really efficient way to learn things.

There are even older professions, but that doesn't mean I want my kids going into them.

But does that bad back prevent you from doing your job? Maybe? But you can't argue that there isn't more opportunity to hurt yourself doing physical labor than white collar work.
                        Now thats what I call a great response!

Thanks for the great feedback !
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          Well said.
                          In case I have not said it lately, myself like many others on this site are very proud of you for going back for your GED. I'm curious what part the GED played in your soon to be new position?

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Excellent argument.
                            I despise you...for the right reasons.

Comment

Thanks Mark. Without my GED, I would not be able to even apply into the local plumbers and steamfitters union, so it is/was very important.

I honestly think you all telling me to go for it played a big factor in me getting it, because I look up to you guys greatly.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

44 post in 1 afternoon

don't any of you guys work

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X