• Show
Clear All

Re: Train You Family For The Future?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    44 post in 1 afternoon

don't any of you guys work

rick.

LOL. ITs the Holiday weekend

Well not yet, But I consider this work because I converse here and then it gives me all kinds of neat ideas
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      44 post in 1 afternoon

don't any of you guys work

rick.
      These long threads SUCK! I should be invoicing and instead i've been reading for an hour.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Wow, this thread sure grew fast. Just shows the passion we all have for what we do. I have two kids now 4 and 2, another on the way in a month. Will I take them with me and teach them something on Saturdays and during the summer? Of course. What they decide to do with that knowledge is up to them. It certainly can't hurt them, even if it simply installs a good work ethic and the pride in a job well done. I know too many unemployed college graduates. I also know too many under-employed people overall, who run the gamut from high school dropout to college graduates, the only thing they know is "Would you like fries with that?"
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
          Yes, I am "high-strung" on craftsmanship for sure, thats because I am a craftsman and this world was built on the very same principles that trades offer..
          I think that people in any profession can be "high-strung" on craftsmanship. There are a lot of people who would say me about software. I think of myself more as a "Software Artisan" than a "Software Architect" or "Software Engineer".

Anyone remember the Grumman layoffs in the 80's?
          Yep, my dad worked at Grumman from the early 80s to the late 90s. They are much smaller than they used to be on LI, but they still have a pretty big presence, especially in radar and technology stuff.

BTW, I noticed that in another thread you are also from LI. I grew up there, and moved to the Hudson Valley two years ago.

Comment

Hey CPW

This thread is like da ja voo ( ya, I know I spelled it wrong )

Seems like I just replied,

Oh hey look , My avatar is now different as well
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

I'm a plumber, my 3 brothers are plumbers, my father and his brother were plumbers. I've got a BA, one of my brothers has an MBA. My uncle got his BA before WWII. College is a great place to grow up and to learn how to learn.
              My son graduated from Stanford with both a BA and an MA in four years. He's now at Google. Do I wish he were following in my footsteps? No. Am I jealous? No. Actually, I'm proud as a peacock. My daughter is heading down a similar path. If I can just get one of the nephews to take over the business. But, that's a story for another day.

Comment

My son will come with me to learn plumbing and hvac. Not because knowing how to snake a drain or changeout a compressor is essential in life, but the qualities that come with hard work are. My Dad used to make me do all kinds of manual labor and I think I'm a better person for it. Kids today lack the drive or ambition to succeed, they think everything will be handed to them. My son will pay his own way through college or at least have a job while going to college. Skills in life don't matter as much as the qualities behind them. I don't care if my son is the worst plumber out there as long as he does his best.

I don't believe college gets you ready for the real world. I see young college educated officers everyday who are book smart but lack any hard drive to succeed. All college gave them was an education. I go to college now and see the same thing. David Allan Coe has a song "Get a little dirt on your hands" and I think that America needs to hear this song again(minus the criminal part).
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  My son will come with me to learn plumbing and hvac. Not because knowing how to snake a drain or changeout a compressor is essential in life, but the qualities that come with hard work are. My Dad used to make me do all kinds of manual labor and I think I'm a better person for it. Kids today lack the drive or ambition to succeed, they think everything will be handed to them. My son will pay his own way through college or at least have a job while going to college. Skills in life don't matter as much as the qualities behind them. I don't care if my son is the worst plumber out there as long as he does his best.

I don't believe college gets you ready for the real world. I see young college educated officers everyday who are book smart but lack any hard drive to succeed. All college gave them was an education. I go to college now and see the same thing. David Allan Coe has a song "Get a little dirt on your hands" and I think that America needs to hear this song again(minus the criminal part).

Hey Gear,

Nice post !

Thanks for sharing man, I like your thoughts !

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

Great post, Ben

What field are you studying for?
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                      Great post, Ben

What field are you studying for?
                      Associates in applied science with a specialty in HVAC.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You guys remember this thread?

Still think the MBA'S and the "degrees" are the "wave of the future"

HAHAHAH!!!

WRONG!

Watch how many plumbers, steamfitters, electricians and other trades will soon be re bounding to fix America's infrastructure

You bet ta trade that MBA in for a tool belt, :-)

The trades are on the way back.....

Comment

Oh yea, ANOTHER thing....

How are those student loans now....yea.....hard to pay student loans when today alone there was 71,000 layoffs.....

As many of us know the plumbing industry is getting more interesting to many college grads now that they have there "Mba's" and are working for dead end wages because they were duped by this "IT is the new wave bullshit"

So I ask you this:

Will you be training your sons and daughters to be plumbers?

I have 6 kids personally ( 4 boys, 2 girls ) ,and I will be training each one of them to be plumbers in there own way ( Customer service, jobbing pricing etc ).

Whats your thoughts?

Still want to send the kids to college for an empty promise with your heard earned money?

Comment

This is something that I talk about alot, mostly I think because I have alot of friends who went to college, and alot who became tradesmen. Career wise, the tradesmen are doing better than 90% of the other guys. It goes past money too, I find my tradesmen friends have a better work ethic, and are way more proficient around the house and in the garage.

My Dad is a plumber who has had a company for almost 15 years, and growing up my brother and I both worked with him on a regular basis. Aside from the actual plumbing technics we learned, I think we both learned the value of a dollar and a hard day of work. (we also learned alot about things we wouldn't do when we started a company)

I give credit to my dad all the time for the success we have had in our short plumbing careers, I received my gas and plumbing tickets at the age of 21, and I've been self employed for 2+ years.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I went to college off and on for several years, my parents paid for it, and were willing to pay all the way through my bachelors, just like they did for my brother. A few years of that, and I realized the Associates in Internet Technology I was ever so slowly working towards had nothing to do with the interests I'd developed as I matured.
                              A good friend of mine works for a major IT company in Seattle as a project manager, He constantly points out that in his job, he doesn't get to go home at a decent time, and even when he goes home, he's still stressed about work. I go home the only parts of the job I think about are the parts that interest me, and I read trade pubs, and this forum "and play Warcraft".
                              He makes more money, but which of us currently has the better quality of life? Granted, if I ever decide to go out on my own, i'll be in the same boat as he is.
                              Back to my brother, He went above and beyond what my parents paid for, and has his Masters degree, and a teaching certification, His wife is a physicians assistant. They started their married life over $60k in debt to student loans between the two of them.

I used to get looked down on as the uneducated one in the family. I bought my first home at 21 years old, it's been 5 years now, i've sold and bought, improved my situation, and started my own family. This trade has been the best thing that could have happened to me, I would never discourage anyone to not go to college, I do discourage them from borrowing the money to do it.
                              Also, regardless of what you want for your kids, or what you think is best for them, in the end they'll do what makes them happy.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                                I would never discourage anyone to not go to college, I do discourage them from borrowing the money to do it.
                                That is great advice.

I'm very glad that NY has schools that if you are willing to work while going to, anyone can afford (the undergraduate tuition is $6,600 for in-state students). If you work just 1000 hours a year, you should be able to swing that without borrowing money. When I started 9 years ago the tuition was only $4300 (and I made money on the deal through scholarships).

Even if you borrow money, the total for the whole thing should be $25,000; not much more than a new car. An MBA is more expensive at $10,000/year, but still I've found that every additional degree that I've gotten has paid for itself very quickly. On the other hand, I don't believe in borrowing $200,000 to go to the ivy league school.

Comment

Working...
                                X