Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Train You Family For The Future?

BUMP!

Its a while LATER since I started this thread and NHmasters thread inspired me to bump it.

This thread: Help Josh

SURVEY OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS REVEALS CAREERS IN THE SKILLED ...

SURVEY OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS REVEALS CAREERS IN THE SKILLED TRADES ARE AT BOTTOM OF THE LIST
    A RIDGID Survey Reveals Top and Bottom Career Paths
    Elyria, Ohio—February 4, 2009—A recent survey by RIDGID, a leading supplier of professional grade tools, reveals that a scant six percent of high school students hope to have a future career in the skilled trades—defined as plumbers, carpenters, electricians, heating, ventilation or air conditioning installers, or repair people.

Some MORE stats you might be interested in:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos211.htm#outlook

Average employment growth is projected. Job opportunities are expected to be very good, especially for workers with welding experience.
    Employment change. Employment of pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters is expected to grow 10 percent between 2006 and 2016, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Demand for plumbers will stem from new construction and building renovation

Can New Programs Fix America's Plumber Drain?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...t/4305487.html

A new survey detects a slow leak in the supply of skilled American plumbers. Will manufacturers pouring money into education help refill the labor pool?

Hope that helps!

Comment

Does everyone STILL feel the same way OR has anyone changed their mind?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        This is also AN EXCELLENT video that NH and Tankless linked in another thread,

Mike Rowe does a great job!

Thanks NH & Tankless!

Comment

I am a plumber-HVAC/R tech and my Dad is also, i helped him when i was little. i was about 5 or 6 when i was first siting in equipment on jobsites while he measured for ductwork or large steel pipe, he guided my hand soldering when I was 6, I started building stuff out of sheetmetal when i was 10. I was 16 when i first started helping pipe boilers and do other odds and ends on jobs. i graduated high school and went to a tech school for a year for HVAC/R and couldnt do college level math. I am now 20 and trying to get math credits so that i can continue school, i work more than full time as a service tech and plumber/pipefitter for my Dad, I chose this trade because it interested me. Did my dad push me into this trade? maybe, but he said go to school for whatever you want and i chose this trade and im glad i did, somedays residential work makes me frustrated but then other days i like getting back in the van after diagnosing and repairing a problem. i hope to someday take over my fathers company and hopefuly teach one of my sons the trade also.
          "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

I don't want my kids to become plumbers. I want them to become "Mr. Doctor Professors," just like Patrick on Spongebob. No, really, I want them to go to college, and get good white collar jobs. If they want to become plumbers, fine. But I won't push them into it.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
              As many of us know the plumbing industry is getting more interesting to many college grads now that they have there "Mba's" and are working for dead end wages because they were duped by this "IT is the new wave bullshit"

So I ask you this:

Will you be training your sons and daughters to be plumbers?

I have 6 kids personally ( 4 boys, 2 girls ) ,and I will be training each one of them to be plumbers in there own way ( Customer service, jobbing pricing etc ).

Whats your thoughts?

Still want to send the kids to college for an empty promise with your heard earned money?

I have two sons 18 and 21. The 21 year old is going to college to be a mechanical engineer and the younger one we will see.

I have left that decision to them, the last thing you want in your business is a person who does not want to be their. I have seen way too many companies whose kids ruin the business. I would rather have my kids work somewhere else then return and realize how nice it is to work for dad.

Many business's fail when the kids take oer, they lose the sincereity and professionalism of the founder.

Never force the issue on them. My younger son would make so much more money working for me than what he is doing. But that is his choice.

In this economy our field is a great place to be....

Comment

I think Mark is right about the old threads popping up! No Harm.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was told that I had to go to college to be some one. A few years after high school my big plans of taking over the family business someday, crashed when my old man sold off the company. I worked for a cell phone company doing retention sales for a while. During that time I tried to go back to school but I new it was not for me and I hated every minute of it. I did about one year and decided not to go back.

I believe a higher education is not for everyone. I am perfectly happy and successful with out a degree. I have learned that you can be successful with out a degree but you will typically have to work harder or start further down the chain and work your way up. As to where a degree might get you further up the chain to start.

I look at the results and I am not bragging just making a point.
                  I bought my house when I was 21 and got married.
                  I have no dept other then my house, cars and everything are paid off.

My friends that went to a university are now just settling down and getting married living in their apartments.
                  Have over 100,000 in dept just from school
                  They start off in their jobs typically making less than I

I can't see where I went wrong in this. I have nothing against school and I support anyone who goes. I am just saying you can turn out just fine with out it you just have to work harder. I have a son and I will probably have a few more and they WILL have a college savings account that my wife and I will contribute to. I will strongly suggest that my kids go to college but to a community college then if they want to go somewhere from there then they can go to a four yr school. If they don't want to go to school then I will do what I can to help them find a career that they love.

I have learned there is no amount of money you can pay me to do a job I hate or has no honor in it!

Comment

Just try applying for a job with the county, state or feds without a college degree, GOOD LUCK! There is nothing wrong with getting a college degree, it can only help in the future. This thread is stupid imo considering it was started by someone who is NOT a plumber. Proven and fact on another board.
                    Has anyone been contacted yet about him making you a website? Geesh, give me a break already.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      Just try applying for a job with the county, state or feds without a college degree, GOOD LUCK! There is nothing wrong with getting a college degree, it can only help in the future. This thread is stupid imo considering it was started by someone who is NOT a plumber. Proven and fact on another board.
                      Has anyone been contacted yet about him making you a website? Geesh, give me a break already.
                      Take the Hate back to whatever board you came from... It has not been an issue here so press on.

If it matters so much to ya I am a licensed Master Plumber and hold a Master Mechanical License, There now everything I say is right

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Take the Hate back to whatever board you came from... It has not been an issue here so press on.

If it matters so much to ya I am a licensed Master Plumber and hold a Master Mechanical License, There now everything I say is right
                        No hate here okiebill, just facts. He was banned on another board for doing the same thing, just thought you should know. He's pushing websites, simple as that. Hook line and sinker! Take up fishing, you would be good at it! LOL
                        All my love,
                        -Ironranger

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          No hate here okiebill, just facts. He was banned on another board for doing the same thing, just thought you should know. He's pushing websites, simple as that. Hook line and sinker! Take up fishing, you would be good at it! LOL
                          All my love,
                          -Ironranger
                          I get it you and Drip Trip have an Ax to grind...

What behavior in this thread has been against the rules of this forum?

You are attempting to flame someone for something that has not happened HERE, That is wrong and you are being called on it.

This ruse of being the good samaritan while smearing someone is petty and childish.

This is a great board, Stick around and learn a little about your trade if your lucky while you are at it you will learn some manners...

Comment

Hmmm spreadin hate and closing threads is something Iron Head is good at...
                            It doesn't matter where plbg.com, Plumbing Zone, here...
                            It doesn't matter...

One thing for sure...
                            You won't teach him a thing...
                            He already knows everything he's going to learn...
                            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                              Hmmm spreadin hate and closing threads is something Iron Head is good at...
                              It doesn't matter where plbg.com, Plumbing Zone, here...
                              It doesn't matter...

One thing for sure...
                              You won't teach him a thing...
                              He already knows everything he's going to learn...

I only speak the truth, sorry you don't like it. By the way, how's the new website?
                              Last edited by ironranger; 05-21-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Good your not on it!

So Iron Head you trying to close this thread too?

Redwood makes note to start chiseling Iron Heads comments into stone using Quote Feature of forum...
                                As it Has been noted that Iron head has a tendency to be a internet foum troll and go back and edit his baiting comments....

Or, are you just going to crawl back under your rock?
                                Last edited by Redwood; 05-22-2009, 06:37 AM.
                                411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Working...
                                X