X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train You Family For The Future?

As many of us know the plumbing industry is getting more interesting to many college grads now that they have there "Mba's" and are working for dead end wages because they were duped by this "IT is the new wave bullshit"

So I ask you this:

Will you be training your sons and daughters to be plumbers?

I have 6 kids personally ( 4 boys, 2 girls ) ,and I will be training each one of them to be plumbers in there own way ( Customer service, jobbing pricing etc ).

Whats your thoughts?

Still want to send the kids to college for an empty promise with your heard earned money?
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Train You Family For The Future?

there are many reasons to go to collage lawyer, doctor, engineer, ect, but to to go to collage for an "it" type of job i agree is a waste. if that is what you want then go to commuty collage.

people do need to learn to go to the apropite school for what they are learning, these state collages are making a mint teaching kids and young adults these tpyes of courses, the one that really makes me laugh is there are people out there paying a communty collage $12 grand or more to uptain a C.D.L.. some one needs to regulate what is taught and where it is taught at.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
      there are many reasons to go to collage lawyer, doctor, engineer, ect, but to to go to collage for an "it" type of job i agree is a waste. if that is what you want then go to commuty collage.

people do need to learn to go to the apropite school for what they are learning, these state collages are making a mint teaching kids and young adults these tpyes of courses, the one that really makes me laugh is there are people out there paying a communty collage $12 grand or more to uptain a C.D.L.. some one needs to regulate what is taught and where it is taught at.
      Yeah 12g's to learn how to drive an EMPTY truck. I've seen some that couldn't even get out of the pit once the truck was loaded.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
        As many of us know the plumbing industry is getting more interesting to many college grads now that they have there "Mba's" and are working for dead end wages because they were duped by this "IT is the new wave bullshit"

So I ask you this:

Will you be training your sons and daughters to be plumbers?

I have 6 kids personally ( 4 boys, 2 girls ) ,and I will be training each one of them to be plumbers in there own way ( Customer service, jobbing pricing etc ).

Whats your thoughts?

Still want to send the kids to college for an empty promise with your heard earned money?
        Yes to college. I might give birth in Croatia so they have a dual citizenship.

If my boy wants to be a plumber and carry on with the family business that is fine.

If my girl wants to marry a plumber I will tell her to think twice

If the kids strive to learn more and succeed they.

Comment

My son is 12 years old and has been helping me for a couple years on jobs where I may not even need help just so he learns the trade. I usaully discuss every aspect of what I am doing so he will learn. I make him tell me what fittings are what and just misc. things trhoughout the day to educate him. On many jobs he is very helpful. Even if he never works as a plumber, he can always use the skills he learns............So many kids today no nothing past "TEXT BOOKS".............It makes me sick!

Comment

Oh yea, I wasn't saying don't go to college, I was just trying to say . why not show them a real trade and then let them decide, so many kids are just pushed into college because society thinks thats best , when in fact most hands on trades can make more money then most it jobs..,...............

Originally posted by turdjerker View Post
            My son is 12 years old and has been helping me for a couple years on jobs where I may not even need help just so he learns the trade. I usaully discuss every aspect of what I am doing so he will learn. I make him tell me what fittings are what and just misc. things trhoughout the day to educate him. On many jobs he is very helpful. Even if he never works as a plumber, he can always use the skills he learns............So many kids today no nothing past "TEXT BOOKS".............It makes me sick!

Yea, I agree,

We need more "real world" skills in the classrooms for sure,

When I was in High school it was nothing but wood shop, auto shop etc ,

Now, well.....I need to say no more............

The skills of the "craftsman" are slowly fading, WE all need to keep that alive......
            Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM.
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Having six kids as well I have been there and done that.

My oldest daughter was great on the phone but is now an educator.

My oldest son was a good plumber but is now an Apache helicopter pilot.

My middle son was an okay plumber and is now a commercial helicopter pilot.

My youngest son was an excellent plumber but is now a Highway Patrol Officer.

My middle daughter never had an interest and is now an educator.

My youngest daughter was a good helper but is now running a Park & Rec program.

The bottom line is they will all use what they learned working with me later on as homeowners but they are all living their dreams rather than mine.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

My youngest son was an excellent plumber but is now a Highway Patrol Officer.

Mark
                I have the reverse of that , My father was a Police Officer for 28 years and told me to become a "tradesman"

I guess the world does work in all weird ways

Thanks for sharing ,

Comment

I have the reverse of that , My father was a Police Officer for 28 years and told me to become a "tradesman"

I guess the world does work in all weird ways

Thanks for sharing ,
                  Actually until last month the one I listed as a commercial helicopter pilot was also a police officer. However, he resigned with a partial retirement because he wanted to fly.

My father owned an Insurance Agency and even changing a light fixture was a challenge for him. I'm not sure why but I always wanted to be a plumber.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Timing on this topic is interesting.
                    Just had this talk with my wife a few days ago.
                    I said NO!
                    She clarified that she only wants him to learn WHILE in college, that I could do.
                    It would be a great idea for him to learn hands on, while learning the "2+2" of it all in college.
                    I don't think badly of my trade, but it's incredibly important to raise a kid with all the options available to him.
                    Should he decide to go after a license along with a degree, he'd have the world in the palm of his hands, BUT the degree takes precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      BUT the degree takes precedence.
                      Can you tell me why?..

Comment

There is a lot of variation in "IT" jobs. You can get some of them with an associates degree, but most programming jobs do require a Bachelors; and now a Masters is really required to differentiate yourself.

Also, PlumbingSkool characterized IT jobs as dead end, which is certainly not true. There are lots of opportunites for people who work hard and can solve problems.

"IT" jobs run the gamut from scripted tech support, which will always be low wage and doesnt' require much education to software architects and more, which will be high wage. Even in India, the upper echelons of IT workers are making almost dollar for dollar the same as their American counterparts.

Just because there was a periodic dot-com bust doesn't mean the industry is dead. Just like their being a slow down in residential construction doesn't mean that framing, plumbing, painting, or being an electrician is a dead-end job either.

One other benefit of an IT job is that you can do it for the rest of your life. My dad is in his 60s in an IT job. You need to look no further than this forum to read stories of plumbers and tradesmen whose bodies are wearing out on them, and aren't able to do their job as well as they could a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

Also, PlumbingSkool characterized IT jobs as dead end, which is certainly not true. There are lots of opportunites for people who work hard and can solve problems.
                          I rather work "smarter NOT harder" But thanks

Just because there was a periodic dot-com bust doesn't mean the industry is dead. Just like their being a slow down in residential construction doesn't mean that framing, plumbing, painting, or being an electrician is a dead-end job either.
                          Oh No, The Industry is dead at least In America, If you want to talk GLOBAL, the sure, IT is the way to go, But if you plan to stay here in America, you better learn a trade and learn one fast

Since beginning of 2008

1. 750,000 + houses lost from this economy
                          2. Gas is rising by the week at this point
                          3. Loss of jobs is just growing

So I ask you this....

You think that with this market and economy IT will be booming?

Oh yea, Hold on let me tell my kids that Daddy isn't going to pay for the heat , he rather buy a gadget he don't need.

The Director of the patents department just released an official statement the other day saying " I think everything we need has already been invented".

Like I have said in other threads, These new years coming up will all be about what we really NEED, not what we really want.

I know that many college guys will be depressed as most have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of loans and a paper that says "Masters"

But really ? You're in debt for that "MASTERS"

What are you really a master off?

Learn a trade and your a MASTER PLUMBER FOR LIFE!

And you can even teach it to others and not charge them, OMG , I know that would be insane

Remember one thing:

There was no "IT" in 1901 , BUT there was "tradesman"

One other benefit of an IT job is that you can do it for the rest of your life. My dad is in his 60s in an IT job. You need to look no further than this forum to read stories of plumbers and tradesmen whose bodies are wearing out on them, and aren't able to do their job as well as they could a few years ago.

Oh come on

Hit me better then that, I can easily rebut that geeks have bad backs from sitting all day,

The point is , if you don't work right, you can get hurt doing anything

Comment

Remember one thing:

There was no "IT" in 1901 , BUT there was "tradesman"
                            There wasn't any IT jobs back in 1901 because the technology wasn't around.

Straight to the point, I think your alil high strung on the tradesmen thing. It takes all types of jobs to make this world go round smoothly.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Can you tell me why?..
                              LEVERAGE.
                              It is daunting to go to school to get your hours in after an exhaustive day of physical work to get a license, here thats usually 8 hours a week, two nights.
                              Your trying to listen as you fight nodding off.
                              I want him to have a degree FIRST.
                              He can always go back to school for his license after a day at the office as he makes a decent wage.
                              He's MUCH less inclined to get into college working full time as a plumber...substantially more than 8 hours a week.
                              He can always incorporate his license along with a degree, say for an engineering firm, as a consultant or working in design/engineering for a related field.
                              I'm 40, my back is twisted, knee's are going, joints ache...once thats done I'm dead weight...maybe I could try to get certified in something less physical, or go back to college.
                              Some day, should he decide on the trade, he'll have leverage if he's in my shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X