Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: moving to the dark side

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    thanks Adam and everyone else for your well wishes I do plan to continue to frequent the forum and keep everyone abreast of how the white collar life is but i am still blue collar through and through and it is going to take more than a fancy office job to change that!

I did the white collar job for about 10 months a long time ago. Being that I am blue collar like you I found it extremely difficult to tolerate those people.

Blue collar guys tell it how it is period. If you smell, I will tell you. If you say something stupid I'll tell you what a stupid idea that is. White collar job, oh no, they have these games that are played out daily. It's like going into work and playing chess. People complaining on why they are out of pens and who got into the supply closet and took their staples. The most important thing I learned about was lunch. Lunch is very serious business in the office world. Who is going to get it? Who is eating with whom? Who is taking 3 minutes longer than they are allowed? Oh ya, it was some good times.

So, if I could offer you any advice it would be this. Do not ever talk, insinuate, or gesture anything negative about any person in the office.

Good luck with your new job. I am happy you are going the direction you want, just don't tell a coworker take a bath because they smell like bacon.

Stay with us.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I did the white collar job for about 10 months a long time ago. Being that I am blue collar like you I found it extremely difficult to tolerate those people.

Blue collar guys tell it how it is period. If you smell, I will tell you. If you say something stupid I'll tell you what a stupid idea that is. White collar job, oh no, they have these games that are played out daily. It's like going into work and playing chess. People complaining on why they are out of pens and who got into the supply closet and took their staples. The most important thing I learned about was lunch. Lunch is very serious business in the office world. Who is going to get it? Who is eating with whom? Who is taking 3 minutes longer than they are allowed? Oh ya, it was some good times.

So, if I could offer you any advice it would be this. Do not ever talk, insinuate, or gesture anything negative about any person in the office.

Good luck with your new job. I am happy you are going the direction you want, just don't tell a coworker take a bath because they smell like bacon.

Stay with us.

LOL thanks ill try not to tell anyone that they smell like bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

Stay with us.
        Did the office thing for a few years, Monte Blanc in the pocket, having a double windsor was the "test" for the guys, if you wore a single, you were a newbie.
        You couldn't have said it better.
        I'd go home some days wondering what we really accomplished.

Comment

Good luck with the new company.

Recently where I'm currently at, they've been sending me into Baltimore City to ****ed up jobs. The morning I put my 2 weeks notice in, I was scheduled to go there again. I just had a feeling that it was the right time to leave. Sort of like you with the water line.
          Last edited by Aaron91; 05-25-2008, 03:03 PM.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            Good luck with the new company.

Recently where I'm currently at, they've been sending me into Baltimore City to ****ed up jobs. The morning I put my 2 weeks notice in, I was scheduled to go there again. I just had a feeling that it was the right time to leave. Sort of like you with the water line.
            Good call, last shop I worked for was the same deal.
            Not alotta fun working with angry GC's & homeowners staring over your shoulder.
            Some of the jobs were so bad I'd be afraid to tell the boss how much work was involved in doing it right, lots of pressure to get done quick, yet get it done right...the second, third & sometimes fourth time.
            The shop owner really beleived he was saving money paying less hourly for unlicensed help.

On topic, Mark/Utah has it right, Wrench Spinner will be nothing but an asset to anyone he works for with his background...regardless what direction he goes in the future.

At 26, he has the world by the "nads".

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Some of the jobs were so bad I'd be afraid to tell the boss how much work was involved in doing it right, lots of pressure to get done quick
              Exactly!

I'm currently at a small shop, and me and another guy have already said, we need wood around the 4"x3" cast iron closet bends to screw the '2 finger' (gasket-ed) cast iron insert flanges down. The boss doesn't even seem to give a ****. Very frustrating trying to set a toilet and having the gap between the floor and the bottom of the bowl be an 1" or more. The gap's there because as you tighten the Johni bolts up, it pulls the flange out of the 4"x3" cast iron closet bend because it's not anchored down.
              Last edited by Aaron91; 05-25-2008, 03:34 PM.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Exactly!

I'm currently at a small shop, and me and another guy have already said, we need wood around the 4"x3" cast iron closet bends to screw the '2 finger' (gasket-ed) cast iron insert flanges down. The boss doesn't even seem to give a ****. Very frustrating trying to set a toilet and having the gap between the floor and the bottom of the bowl be an 1" or more. The gap's there because as you tighten the Johni bolts up, it pulls the flange out of the 4"x3" cast iron closet bend because it's not anchored down.
                Last straw for me, back to a finished job with a boatload of troubles and a pissed off GC.
                Toilet was sitting lobsided & moving like a rocking chair, I remove it to see the flange itself warped...the 2 screws were pulling it down so hard was it warping.

I took out the screws and it jumped almost 3" above the finished floor.
                The "qualified" installer decided to cram it down and back-pitch the drain below, rather than do it right, if he even knew it wasn't right in the first place.

Boss shows up later that morning asking what was taking me so long and why I'd taken the toilet up when it was already set, I explained why..he blasted me because it "wasn't necessary".
                The guy had gotten the biz from his father who was semi-retired, his own father would tell me how horrified he was.

I walked.

Comment

It sounds to me that, let say 6 months after that, if you would have shimmed and caulked the toilet, and there would of been a stoppage, and someone would of found out about the back pitched line, he would of been all over you, asking why you didn't pull the toilet and see what was going on.

Hard to work around, or for those type of individuals.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Your ex-boss sounds like a piece of **** Duckbutter. Obviously no integrity.
                    He is an example of why I look down on many new construction plumbers, because I often end up getting called to fix these type of things a few years after the house is finished.
                    Last edited by Service Guy; 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Your ex-boss sounds like a piece of **** Duckbutter. Obviously no integrity.
                      He is an example of why I look down on many new construction plumbers, because I often end up getting called to fix these type of things a few years after the house is finished.
                      The worst part was when his dad would stop by, the man was a 35+ yr veteran who'd broken his back to build the business.
                      He'd do the walk throughs for his son with inspectors (his son thought his presence had weight with inspectors, some of the inspectors knew him for years and he had to look them in the eye) and the stories he had were enough to make me wanna cry...real nice guy, very depressed over his sons way of lowballing jobs to keep his (unlicensed) payroll full.

The idea that there are shops out there pulling this sh-t to keep costs down & win bids goes against everything I was taught.

Comment

Ah yes, the "plumber's son syndrome." Great plumber builds business; snotty-nosed, obnoxious son takes over business without earning it through years of hard work and education. All too common.

Funny thing is, the two best shops I worked at both had this happening. Good bosses, but worthless sons in the process of taking over and ruining it when I quit.
                        Last edited by Service Guy; 05-25-2008, 06:48 PM.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                        X