X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to the dark side

Ok a little background I began working for my grandfather plumbing company 15 years ago when i was 12 over the summers, then after school when i was in high school. After High School I went to college for a Mechanical Engineering Degree, after recieving said degree I was unable to find a job right after college so i went back to work for the family business. Grandfather retired gave the business to me stayed on for another year until I was able to get my license. That was last year.

Well I got a job offer today from a civil engineering company to design Backflow Prevention Devices, Sewage Pump Stations and to inspect the installation of these and various other sewage and water components. The salary pretty much matches mine now, a lot less headaches room to grow (I am only 26) and steady work. I think I am going to take it. I already took and passed the FE test which is the fundamentals of engineering in college. That is Part one to get my Professional Engineering License which I can take the test for after Five years of Practical Study.

I know it is going to be hard going to work for someone else but a nice warm office in the winter is inviting as well as A/C in the summer. Besides Im sure you guys would rather Install what i put together rather than some pencil pusher who doesnt even know how to work a tubing cutter!

Re: moving to the dark side

Is it possible?
    An engineer with a smidgeon of respect for the trade?

Congratulations...you have nothing but leverage for your future.

Comment

actually duck, I went to college in Springfield and my roomate was a plumber from Nattick, We worked weekends together for a plumbing co. out of Natick I forget the name I think it was Anthony' P&H, any way one year we worked at Bose doing some work on a reno to their headquarters, probably one of the biggest plumbing jobs I'd ever been on. The moral of this story is there is another Engineer out there acutally in your neck of the wood that has a hands on background too

Comment

Now that sounds like an awesome plan to me, !

Good luck man !

I hope you do well, and you should
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Congrats!

I think I have it backwards though. I have a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology and I am fixing my own toilets at work

Doing it in the direction you are going seems better
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Congrats, you'll do well with your hands-on knowledge to aid your booksmarts.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              actually duck, I went to college in Springfield and my roomate was a plumber from Nattick, We worked weekends together for a plumbing co. out of Natick I forget the name I think it was Anthony' P&H, any way one year we worked at Bose doing some work on a reno to their headquarters, probably one of the biggest plumbing jobs I'd ever been on. The moral of this story is there is another Engineer out there acutally in your neck of the wood that has a hands on background too
              Heck, I know my share of college grads that became plumbers.
              Just see an irony here, I'd posted a rant thread last week citing engineers as a gripe because they so frequently assess the level of work & costs involved with so little concept of the reality.
              You won't be one of those guys.

Comment

way to go, do us and yourself proud, designed with the guys in the field in mind makes me wanna cry good luck.

Comment

Congratulations! Hurry up and get your Khaki's and loafers.

Glad someone who has been there and done that is actually going to contribute to designing.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I am taking the job i decided it today after spending 10 hours in trench wrestling with a new water service and chipping drilling prying out a 2" hole in a fieldstone foundation to get the water service into the building. the companies website is http://www.johnmeyerconsulting.com the look like a class act and ill keep you all updated with how it goes i plan to start June 1st and phase the plumbing business out and pass my good clients onto my uncles company. I dont know if i can sustain enough sidework to cover insurance and other bs so i think ill just focus on the engineering part. Ill probably just stick with testing Backflow Preventers.

Comment

Good luck Spinner.They will be lucky to have you,literaly coming out of the trenches.You know what hard work is.I hope you still drop in on us and let us watch your rise to prosperity.

ADAM

Comment

thanks Adam and everyone else for your well wishes I do plan to continue to frequent the forum and keep everyone abreast of how the white collar life is but i am still blue collar through and through and it is going to take more than a fancy office job to change that!

Comment

It's funny we just talked about this the other day and here you are the perfect example. Because of your choice to go to college you have expanded your marketability. Congratulation on your choices and good luck.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I hope you enjoy it - I know I am enjoying my change in routine...
                            I went from field work (commercial construction plumbing) to designing plumbing systems using CAD..
                            A lot easier on the body, takes more thinking too (a good thing) and is a lot better to be in the air conditioning in the summer rather than outside in the 115 degree heat...

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
                              I hope you enjoy it - I know I am enjoying my change in routine...
                              I went from field work (commercial construction plumbing) to designing plumbing systems using CAD..
                              A lot easier on the body, takes more thinking too (a good thing) and is a lot better to be in the air conditioning in the summer rather than outside in the 115 degree heat...
                              Had a long time freind out here that did the exact same thing a few years ago.Put himself through school while taking care of his own and working for the union.

Comment

Working...
                              X