X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permits

Where I'm from a permit is required for just about everything.

(c) Exceptions to the Permit Requirement: A Permit is not required for plumbing involving the repair of leaks in a faucet, valve, or other working part of a plumbing fixture, or the clearance of a stoppage.

do you pull all required permits?

If you change out a lav faucet do you pull a permit and get it inspected?

Re: Permits

They are required here as well but no one enforces a permit for a faucet replacement. In the old days they did not enforce water heater permits either.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-24-2008, 10:27 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You practically have to pull a permit if you even consider changing a fixture here. But, most plumber I know only pull permits for the big stuff.

I pulled a permit once to install the customer's kitchen sink and disposer simply because he wanted me to. The inspector looked at me like I was nuts for doing so. The inspectors here are spread pretty thin already.

So, to answer your question. I install everything up to code. I do not pull a permit for everything.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the replys,thats ptetty much what I do
        permits for the big stuff and anything with gas or
        if the home owner specifically asks me to.

Comment

Originally posted by cjmacph View Post
          Where I'm from a permit is required for just about everything.

(c) Exceptions to the Permit Requirement: A Permit is not required for plumbing involving the repair of leaks in a faucet, valve, or other working part of a plumbing fixture, or the clearance of a stoppage.

do you pull all required permits?

If you change out a lav faucet do you pull a permit and get it inspected?
          I pulled a permit for a tankless, the inspector just waved it off when I called, "Oh, you're fine..I don't need to inspect that."

I had to explain it was a tankless changed from tank type, I needed it signed off for the gas co.

Comment

There are a lot of permits depending where you live. Where I born, there are no such permits, you can do whatever you want inside your home :P
            Bathrooms

Comment

Originally posted by siukin View Post
              There are a lot of permits depending where you live. Where I born, there are no such permits, you can do whatever you want inside your home :P
              Worked with an English tradesman once...kept using the term "knuckle" in reference to plumbing.
              I didn't wanna sound stupid so I never asked...what the heck is a "knuckle"?

Comment

it appears to be a tight or sharp 90 degree elbow,

http://www.gwsupplies.co.uk/plumbing...gs+solvent.htm

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/plumbingsup..._nwylf--1.html
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  LOL...thank you for showing me how effective a simple websearch is.

*Note to self, stop asking dumb questions prior to web search.

Comment

In Oregon we use a modified version of the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) that exempts minor repairs from requiring a permit or inspection...(here is a brief section from our code)

"Exempt Ordinary Minor Plumbing Repairs"

(2) The Term "ordinary minor plumbing repairs" is defined as follows:

(a) Includes repair, replacement or maintenance of existing plumbing fixtures, appliances, appurtenances and related water supply and drain attachments for the purpose of restoring a plumbing installation to a safe and sanitary operating condition.

... that section alone legally exempts us from having to pull permits on most repair type jobs. Note that in our code NOBODY can replace a water heater without a permit, including a homeowner. HOWEVER, our state has permits called "Minor Label Permits" which are essentially these "stickers" that we fill out and place on the electrical panel and these allow us to perform different types of repairs INCLUDING water heaters that are NOT exempt from the above "ordinary minor plumbing repairs". These sticker permits only cost $14 each and the State randomly selects one out of every ten to do an inspection on.

Never had a red tag on any inspection since I've been a plumber for 14 years so they have worked out great for me.

Douglas

Comment

Working...
                    X