Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tool don't you have that you should?

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    I need to get a thermometer for testing the temperature of the hot water, those things are really helpful when adjusting t-stats or mixing valves in water heaters.
    Digitals are a necessity here...inspectors want you to use them when working on any hot water heater or fixture.
    Less than ten bucks.

Comment

RICK!? WITH A DITCH WITCH?! THIRTY BRUSHES ON THE CHAIN!?
      Bet that looked like A$$.

(I know what you meant)

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        24!! SOLD!

Gotta get one. But want the new small, more durable head at the same time. Hard to find right now.

J.C.
        Wait, you can't close down the bidding with only two bids from the SAME bidder!!!

I also should have the micro see-snake with all the diagnostics I seem to end up with (my son said I'll need an aquarium and thick gloves because they're poisonous).
        But, like J.C. I'm waiting for the smaller more durable head. I thought they were supposed to be available in May?
        I should have a better, more powerful, cordless drill. My 15 yr old Makita just doesn't do the trick anymore. (Sort of like me)
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          Wait, you can't close down the bidding with only two bids from the SAME bidder!!!

I also should have the micro see-snake with all the diagnostics I seem to end up with (my son said I'll need an aquarium and thick gloves because they're poisonous).
          But, like J.C. I'm waiting for the smaller more durable head. I thought they were supposed to be available in May?
          I should have a better, more powerful, cordless drill. My 15 yr old Makita just doesn't do the trick anymore. (Sort of like me)
          Actually...good point.
          Can't get through a closet trap with the current head...I'm sure Ridgid won't want a boatload of loot for the replacement...I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Actually...good point.
            Can't get through a closet trap with the current head...I'm sure Ridgid won't want a boatload of loot for the replacement...I'm sure.
            don't count on the new one going through a toilet trap either.

that was something i asked about too.

now if they design a head that will do a toilet.

i'll buy a backup for my backup

otherwise i'll wait till they do. this would be the best camera for checking for toys in a toilet.

ridgid, if you build it, they will sell

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I got one because I felt the same.
              Was getting at least one call a week for mystery leaks.
              After ripping up a ceiling to find the leak was coming from the homes exterior, I decided it was time.
              Only one call that I've used it on...the ceiling was already opened.
              I kept looking and looking for the leak...it was puddling right in the middle of a piece of strapping with no sign of a trail where the water was dripping from.
              After 10 minutes of passing the same length of spiderweb, it occured to me to put down the micro and pull the annoying thing out of the way.
              It was a super fine line of water shooting straight from the pipe to the top of the strapping out in plain sight.
              Seems like once I finally got the tool, I don't need it...I'm sure I will, but there's definitely some Murphy's law goin' on here.

Same here. I had 2 calls last week to look for a "mysterious leak" while I was up on the ladder both times, cutting the sheetrock with my knife I said " I gotta get that micro" and I will, but I know as soon as I do it will bounce around in my truck for a year before I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                Same here. I had 2 calls last week to look for a "mysterious leak" while I was up on the ladder both times, cutting the sheetrock with my knife I said " I gotta get that micro" and I will, but I know as soon as I do it will bounce around in my truck for a year before I use it.
                Trust me, as soon as you get it...no more "mystery leak" calls for months.

Comment

How about this (sorry to hijack the thread). You sell a water heater service/inspection package. You come out in 3 yrs after an install (make a note on the computer calendar) and do a drain and fill to remove sediment. While drained you remove the drain cock and insert said micro see snake for an inspection of the diptube and annode rod and general condition of the inside of the tank.$$$
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    I really want one for looking inside my walls doing structured wiring, and almost broke down again this week for tracing a leaky shower. The one thing that is holding me back is that I think another company will come out with an equivalent inspection camera with a USB or SD port within a year. I don't really need that feature, but it just seems cool and I would hate to spend the $200 and then a month later have it available.

Comment

Stud punch!
                      I hear you Duckman!!!
                      I wish I was in new a new wide open ground up.

They aren't versatile enough for me anymore.You can't work any tighter than twenty four inches in a corner or lid(handles won't open enough)especially if the stud's turned the wrong way.And they won't go much deeper than halfway through a 3-1/2".Most of the work I'm doing is improving so we are one side only with a lot of 6"-10" walls in some of these penthouses.It's just easier to drill.
                      A lot cleaner(to me)
                      Just try to imagine two 2X4 walls butted back to back and your only option was to bore through the butt joint.
                      ADAM

Comment

I don't have a electric hammer drill, but I really want one.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Sewer Camera.

Not junk but a good color, text entry capable, DVD burning, foot counting , self leveling head, 150', able to take a 2"90 degree elbow if necessary...

Now if I just had the 10-15K this beast will cost...

Comment

The laser technology has improved tremendously.I would like to get one that does vertical and two horizontals at 90 degrees for layout.

HELP ME RIDGID
                            perfect market for a cheap(oops...innexpensive) TTI product.
                            Just make sure the plumbob reaches twenty feet within a 1/4" and I'll be satisfied.I don't think anyone standing in line at the Depot is going to see a 1/4 off at twenty feet.
                            YOU?

Comment

By the way we have had this discussion before but one of the most important tools you can carry on your truck which many do not is a current copy of the Codes which apply to your area.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                By the way we have had this discussion before but one of the most important tools you can carry on your truck which many do not is a current copy of the Codes which apply to your area.

Mark
                                DOH!!!

You got me to keep mine in my truck.Now the nieghbors think I'm some kind of exobitionist cause I keep going to the truck at night in my boxers.
                                Last edited by drtyhands; 05-24-2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X