X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWV Between Floors

We are seeing some discussion on copper DWV.There has been rumor that it is not allowed to penetrate the concrete between floors.The only reason I can see is it having to do with some type of fire penetration issues.Both cast and copper need to be insulated for expansion so I know it's not that one can say it's the insulation on copper.

Any thoughts?

Re: DWV Between Floors

I thought it had to do with the lime from the concrete eating away at the copper?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
      I thought it had to do with the lime from the concrete eating away at the copper?
      Sorry about that,I'm the worst at clarification.Some have said that the insulation required is combustible.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Sorry about that,I'm the worst at clarification.Some have said that the insulation required is combustible.
        Good point, with PVC we sleeve it with steel, any penetration through concrete requires 1" of annular clearance.
        On residential we use firecode, heat resistant foam insulation, which I imagine is ok for the gap inside the sleeve on commercial.

Comment

all piping in contact with concrete has to be taped./ isolated. i don't see anything different with copper as i do with cast or gal.

it's no different than what we see with copper water in 95% of all new construction.

still have to fire caulk it if it's sleeved. same as other metals.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Anyone got any ubc.

Comment

Working...
            X