Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbers' Opinions

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    For unknown, subconscious reasons, my whole family has been using more TP than ever...a mystery.
    I personally wait until Rick leaves then I sell it to the neighbors Check with Becky--I am sure she has similar business deals
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      You can buy a toilet that isn't low flow? Not here.
      Oh yes, 3 GPF's are flyin off the shelves at HD and Blowes so fast we never even see them!
      Last edited by DuckButter; 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: GPF NOT GPM!

Comment

I personally wait until Rick leaves then I sell it to the neighbors Check with Becky--I am sure she has similar business deals
        NOPE, it's all me...I slowly unravel every delightful bit that I can, glad to know how dry I'll be.

Comment

NOPE, it's all me...I slowly unravel every delightful bit that I can, glad to know how dry I'll be.
          I can help alleviate your issue in the form of a brand new-still in box-gift wrapped-minus one missing square-top of the line-super delux-bidet toilet seat
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

You can buy a toilet that isn't low flow? Not here.

A licensed plumber "holds" more authority then a team of "political" junkies.

Write your congress man and tell him we need more water NOT plungers and back ups....

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
              I might get tons of people that disagree with me but here goes, with PVC I never clear a drain with to much slope. to little yes I might get a big bunch of TP plugging things up. I believe, in the IPC code it gives more DFU load to pipe with 1/2inch per foot fall. course it's been a few years since I perused the code book. (sorry Mark) .

Hmmm seems to me if you eliminated paper products this would be a mute point. But how can we reduce the use of paper products in drain systems?
              Yes at 1/2" per foot you pick up between 10% & 15% more fixture units than at 1/4" per foot.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                I might get tons of people that disagree with me but here goes, with PVC I never clear a drain with to much slope. to little yes I might get a big bunch of TP plugging things up. I believe, in the IPC code it gives more DFU load to pipe with 1/2inch per foot fall. course it's been a few years since I perused the code book. (sorry Mark) .

Hmmm seems to me if you eliminated paper products this would be a mute point. But how can we reduce the use of paper products in drain systems?
                I agree with you. I have seen TONS of lines that were plugged up from inadequate pitch, I have not seen any that were plugged up from too much pitch. I prefer more pitch than code requires. I don't go too extreme, but I always err on the side of more pitch than less.

Here is a good example....kitchen drains are always clogged up on the horizontal run, never on the vertical....hmmm.

I don't buy the idea that too much pitch causes the water to rush past the solids, I have never seen it anyway.

Trailers always have back-pitched or flat drains around here, I dread doing a kitchen sink stoppage on a mobile home....the grease builds up like crazy in an inadequately pitched line. I have seen lines 30 feet long and completely flat with 30' of solid grease laying in them.....a nightmare.
                Last edited by Service Guy; 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I can help alleviate your issue in the form of a brand new-still in box-gift wrapped-minus one missing square-top of the line-super delux-bidet toilet seat
                  Customer of mine has one...used his bathroom and I decided to poke at it without realizing what the button was for.
                  I walked out of his bathroom with a gigantic wet spot right in the middle of my shirt...he says "I don't wanna beleive thats what I think it is."
                  I told him "Thats a real nice shirt rinser ya got in there.".
                  That was my introduction to toilet seat bisets.

Comment

I have seen what plumberick talked about, cast-iron that causes paper to stick to it. It seems the cast-iron gets rough, and sticks to the paper too easily.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Customer of mine has one...used his bathroom and I decided to poke at it without realizing what the button was for.
                      I walked out of his bathroom with a gigantic wet spot right in the middle of my shirt...he says "I don't wanna beleive thats what I think it is."
                      I told him "Thats a real nice shirt rinser ya got in there.".
                      That was my introduction to toilet seat bisets.
                      See if I could have just added a on the bottom of your post I would have.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Yes at 1/2" per foot you pick up between 10% & 15% more fixture units than at 1/4" per foot.

Mark
                        We do that on storms, not drainage.
                        1/2" pitch increases the capacity for rain leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                          Forget the low water toilet and plumb how are grandfathers plumbed.

This whole "green" and save the earth bullshit will be over really soon and then once again we will want to flush our "dudy" with some force,

Check this out...

You buy a car that breaks the speed limit , BUT your afraid to tell your customers to buy a regular toilet instead of some crappy low flush,

Come on guys stand you ground and tell the reps that we are plumbers that some marketing crap is not worth our health

Personally I can't see how "skipping out" on toilet water is a "good thing"

Anyone have a pool?

I hope your not splashing the water out , are you.....Just think of how much water that wastes.

Thousands of gallons are "splashed out"

Here;s an idea, invent a "splash free pool" or > a "never leaking hose nozzle".....

The problem is not PIPE size , its these corporate *******s trying to change the industry......

Just at least thing about it before you bash my response......
                          I too would be very interested to hear where it is you are buying non-low flush water closets.

While I agree we need to work out drainage issues with the low flush water closets I believe they are needed. I recall when we went from the standard 5-gallon flush water closets to the 3.5-gallon water closets and everyone said they would never work. Now we have reduced down to the 1.5 gallon flush and it will take time to perfect them.

Assume each member of your family flushes a water closet 4-times each day every day of the year. That would total 11,680 flushes annually. Now consider the savings of 3.5-gallons per flush and you are saving 40,880-gallons each year just with your family flushing toilets. As good clean sources of water become harder and harder to find we all have the responsibility to conserve where we can.

Mark

Comment

We do that on storms, not drainage.
                            1/2" pitch increases the capacity for rain leaders.
                            I believe the argument regarding abandoning solids due to a steep grade is a valid argument. I just don't believe it is too much of an issue at 4%.

Mark

Comment

The main reason I said drain cleaners will know best, they are the ones who'd know...you clean drains so it's in your court.
                              From day one here in school they teach us that if a drain has too much pitch, the s--t is gonna get left behind.

The question of why we use a smaller 1/8" pitch on larger 4"+ pipes and 1/4" on smaller 3" or less comes up.

Anyone feel free to correct me, but volume comes to mind.
                              A 4"+ pipe has more volume (width) for water to rush past solids, it's pitch is lower, less velocity for faster moving fluids to gain when carrying solids.

The idea is that a toilet thats infrequently used could be flushed into a drain with a steep pitch, leaving solids behind to dry in place & adhere after each use.

I highly doubt many blockages are a result of pitch, especially on a lateral/main where there's constant use, despite an extreme pitch.

Again, feel free to correct me, but blockages aside from external interference like roots seem most common at changes of directions where linear objects are most likely to hang up at a radius thats too short to accomodate, corrosion that causes constriction & pitting for debris to hang up on, or a lip on a fitting/connection.
                              If it helps I just finished reviewing videos of 182 separate laterals on a job which some one else cameraed. The project is new enough that all of the water closets are the 1.5-gallon flush. There were only a few instances of solids left behind and none of them were caused by an excessive grade of the pipe.

That being said I believe there is a grade between 15% and 45% where I could see you having problems.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                I believe the argument regarding abandoning solids due to a steep grade is a valid argument. I just don't believe it is too much of an issue at 4%.

Mark
                                I have a humorous mental image of most of the inspectors I know, looking at a 1/2" pitch on a household drain.

Comment

Working...
                                X