X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I didn't burn the house down Yet

On a row house in S. F. Adding a garage bath. 60 year old red wood clapboard,difficult access .Much heat gel, No room for kool wool. Yes pro press would be great. Can't justify
    the $$$$ with the amount of plumbing I do. What are Your tricks????
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Well I didn't burn the house down Yet

BESIDES THE REQUIRED WATER BOTTLE,
    I ALSO HAVE A 15 LB. C O 2 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
    I HAVE NOT BURNED DOWN A BUILDING YET ! ! !

OR DARE I SAY IT YOU COULD USE SHARK BITE
    FITTINGS
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Soak the combustable product surrounding the fitting with water bottle,use sheet metal to deflect and protect combustables.I've soldered fittings that are actually touching plastic flexible ducting by slightly bending a piece of sheet metal shielding.Cool the fitting with water before removing shield.Don't let anyone tell you that lightly flashing a hot fitting with water affects solder joint.

Adam

Comment

I carry a section of sheet metal, about 5" x 12" with me. It works well. If I need to, I soak a rag in water, and place it between the sheet metal.

what you gotta watch is that old insulation and the draft in the wall, it creates perfect conditions for a fire.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

With the properly sized tip (A-2) I have soldered a fitting which was against a drywall wall with almost no damage to the wall.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks ,good wisdom as usual
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I use a piece of sheetmetal like adam and robert but I fold it in half and slightly offset the slot for the pipe. This will lock the sheetmetal in place when you slide it on the pipe.

Don't forget that galvanized sheetmetal gives off poisonous fumes. No big deal as long as you plenty of ventilation.
              Last edited by gear junkie; 05-26-2008, 06:24 PM.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                I carry a section of sheet metal, about 5" x 12" with me. It works well. If I need to, I soak a rag in water, and place it between the sheet metal.

what you gotta watch is that old insulation and the draft in the wall, it creates perfect conditions for a fire.
                Pay attention to this. I've seen MAPP light up Kraft backed insulation from around 16" away. Burns like gas.

J.C.

Comment

i keep a spray bottle with soap and water in it to spray all the wood around the joint and never had a fire .the soap in the water keeps it from drying up to fast .
                  and i always use a wet rag to cool the fittings down after soldering ,it also cleans all the flux off to .
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

hawk, exactly what i use too.

not only does the soap cling to the wood, it also allows for cooling off and cleaning up. plus you can wash your hands and test for gas leaks

i have the cool gel and also the woven pads. proper tip and placement of the torch/ flame is the real trick.

of course with propress, there is no fire danger. or water dripping from keeping you from finishing the joint. 5 seconds wet or dry

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

NOW IF YOU CAN JUST GET THE HOMEOWNER
                      TO PAY YOU 1,000.00 BUCKS TO DO A COUPLE OF 1/2" COPPER JOINTS TO PAY FOR THE PROPRESS AND THE FITTINGS

JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I learned my lesson on this topic quite a few years ago. I was doing a repipe on a big old Victorian. Soldering next to a 2nd story outside wall, a spark somehow fell into a crevice between the floor plate, tar paper and exterior lap sheeting. Must have dumped two-three gallons of water on the area, but it still kept smoldering. Finally, the HO, a friend of course, hustled down to the basement, retrieving a very large extinguisher, the contents of which he proceeded to dump into the wall. Happy ending, but a very stressful learning process. I know all the tricks, but, the plan b extinguisher is now a must.

Comment

Working...
                        X