Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water...

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Because people are using it up and the water infiltration doesn't meet the demand. This is the first I've heard of a 40 year cycle, can you go further in depth?
    I was quoting from an earlier post in the thread about the 40 year drop.

But your statement makes the most sense to me. The water is always the same. But we have increased our uses of it and efficiency to remove/use it faster than replacing/filtering it.

This would explain lower tables. At least in my mind.

Learn so much on the forum.

J.C.

Comment

How about Grey water settling and re-use tanks in yards...

Example: All water from Clothes washer, showers and bathroom sinks goes into settling tank and is pumped back into house for toilet flushing than toilet water goes to sewer. Overflow from greywater tank will tie to sewer.

Progress is taking us back to where we were 100 years ago ( rainwater collection / Cisterns).

Comment

That's what they are (NC) in discussions of making CODE in the future.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Because people are using it up and the water infiltration doesn't meet the demand. This is the first I've heard of a 40 year cycle, can you go further in depth?
          It's based on information specific to my industry. Wells are having to be dug deeper and deeper nation wide. One of the interesting outcomes of this drop in the water tables is a higher concentration of Arsenic. In the mid 90's when the levels starting showing up in higher and higher concentrations there were several areas where they actually thought that massive amounts of Arsenic were dumped in the early 1900's. It turns out that the form of Arsenic that is now showing up as a natural occurrence from bed rock where these wells have been drilled down to.

It's the main reason the EPA changed the water quality standards two years ago and now require every well in America to be tested at least once a year and the results published to the end user, where public and semi-private water is concerned. Personal Wells should also be tested.

One of our largest customers is the Department of Defense. One project we worked on had to have a will dug down to around 15,000 feet before they could find water that met EPA standards.

One of best friends from college lives in Wisconsin. Back in the mid nineties he bought a new home in a new development. While the house was under construction they were eating at a diner near the development.

He’s talking to the owner of the restaurant and tells them that they are moving in the area in a couple of months. Owner tells him he better get a water test. So he does and sends it to me. The whole area had an Arsenic plume under it. Needless to say he got out of the deal since the cost of putting in a well deep enough far outweighed living there, estimated well cost was around $29,000.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            How about Grey water settling and re-use tanks in yards...

Example: All water from Clothes washer, showers and bathroom sinks goes into settling tank and is pumped back into house for toilet flushing than toilet water goes to sewer. Overflow from greywater tank will tie to sewer.

Progress is taking us back to where we were 100 years ago ( rainwater collection / Cisterns).
            Great idea and could easly be done, except for the hurtle of getting past the tree huggers. They want double walled containment and permit issued that are specific to underground tanks.

Believe me people in my industry could, and have come up with the solutions, but there are so many regulations and rules that it makes the solution to expensive.

Comment

Watersurgeon looks like you are pretty new to the forum. Just want to say Welcome!

I know I can learn alot from your expertise. Hope you stick around.

J.C.

Comment

I am currently doing a small subdivision in Utah and in the CC&Rs I limit grass to 300 sq ft (lots are 2-5 acres). I am also requiring all homes be built with a gray water drainage system but I am not requiring they hook up a storage tank at this time. My understanding is Utah requires a minimum 500-gallon storage tank for a gray water system and I have been told 500-gallons is too large and the water will become brackish before it is used.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Our water here in Memphis is drawn solely from Artesian wells from the Memphis Aquafier. I have a private well at my home about 350 ft deep which taps this aquafier. My home is connected to a septic system.

I use a device for my washing machine which uses silver probes to disinfect the laundry. It uses ozone and hydrogen peroxides and uv light for cleaning and disinfection. We use no detergent except for extra tough stains and we only use cold water.

If you have ever read the book "Flushed", you may recall the chapter about the Dr. in India who is marketing a biogas system, where they trap the gas from the decomposition of human waste and use it to heat water and cook with. The liquid is uv'd and ozoned and used to water the gardens. They also have a two-pit latrine system that converts the waste into compost. I know it's been done sporadically for centuries. I like the idea of on-site treatment and reclamation.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X