X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oldest Pump???

swapped out an old jet pump i believe it was about 30 to 35 if my memory serves me it was a burks

Comment

I have a customer that has a Burks Jet Pump right now that is at least that old. I'm VERY easy with it if adjustments are needed.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        They make this already. Cannot think of the name to save my life but I've used it before. Check with a well supply company. We used it hold pvc pipe during the grouting of a well.
        http://www.aermotorwindmills.com/pipe-tools.htm

check here only ones i can find I have the #8871 "Rancher's pipe holder" and the $90 vise grips!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Back to my original question though... What's the oldest pump you've replaced? Submersible, jet, circulating-whatever.

This one was around 35 years old. That's the oldest one I've pulled.

J.C.
          I see some B&G 100 recirc pumps over 40. Oil 'em up, slap in a set of spring couplings and you're good to go.

I don't know how old it was but I pulled a 100' galvanized line once We used one of those things Wrench Spinner showed. I never knew what it was called. It slipped a few times on us. I thought we were gunna lose it

Comment

I have worked on and replaced jet pumps way older than I am subs in the forty range also and the big Q is my state says you have to be licensed to work on a well from the discharge side of the pressure tank back but well drillers are inspected but not others holding a license

Comment

Hell, on the lake we still have customers with piston pumps. Gotta be close to 60, 75 years old anyway. Bet damn few plumbers know how to service and replace the leathers.
              sigpic

Comment

Piston pumps forgot about those done a few I think I saw a manual for one once think it had stone pages have worked on a fair amount or pump jacks too rods and cylinders that's work

Comment

my father in laws jet pump was over 40 years old when I got it and used it for about 5 more years, then had to replace it,

we had been getting about 10 to 15 out of the submersible pumps, in our well, but they pump a lot of water, for cattle,

our well is 285' of 2" galvanized pipe on the house well, and the other well is 265' of 2" pipe,

I use a system of pipe elevators on them and a "U" shaped plates,
                  My dad and Grandfather used a unit similar to the "ranchers pipe puller on the DEAN BENNETT page, I do not like them as if you have worn pipe they can crush the pipe and the pipe does not hang straight,
                  I have used pipe holders and work well for coming up but not as good for going down, I pull my own using the windmill towers, the first I used the old well block and tackle jsut like my grandfather used "I used a pickup" he used "horses", if your going to use a vehicle tie to the front of it and that way one can see and watch what is going one much easier.

my current submersible pump is nearing a good 20 years old, but it has not been used much since I put the windmills back up and let them do the majority of the water pumping,
                  (by using the 2" pipe I use the 1 7/8" open top well cylinders and I can pull the sucker rod and the leathers up by hand, or after I pull the first 3 or 4 lengths of sucker rod, the 10' mill has the 5/8 fiberglass rod, and the 12' mill has the 3/4" fiberglass rods, a little heaver, under the house cylinder I have the submersible as a back up pump, if needed, the cylinder pumps through an adapter between the two pumps, and the submersible pump pumps thought the cylinder.

I am not sure which way the pictures will load,
                  but there is a pipe holder of the "ranchers style"
                  then there is a nice pipe lifter similar to a baker manufacture,
                  and then the old pipe type lifter, (this one I think is hand forged)
                  and the last two are of the pipe elevators I like better, they are on the pipe and clamp on tight, and I am not saying one can not lose the pipe but it would be hard,
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I first picture is of the U plates I use, the different sizes one is for the sucker rods, one is for the 1 1/4" pipe, and one for 2" pipe,

the second is of the winch cable and the swivel and hooked on ready to pull the pipe, or it has jsut lowered it,

the next is of the winch I made to pull the wells,

the next is of the adaptor for the well for a cylinder and a submersible pump,

the next is a drawing of the adaptor,
                    Attached Files
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the first is of two different types of cylinders one is a closed top 449B and one is a open top 442, and the pump section of a submersible. by Red Jacket.

the second is of the leathers and the check valve, and the last is a plunger and some used leathers,
                      Attached Files
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        They make this already. Cannot think of the name to save my life but I've used it before. Check with a well supply company. We used it hold pvc pipe during the grouting of a well.
                        Elevators! That's it. Thanks BHD.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X