X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Pump???

So I go to one of my loyal customers today with a water problem. Run all the tests. Everything points to dead pump in the well.

I pull it and it's stamped 08-73. The owner has the original invoice..

This is the oldest submersible that I have pulled. So I was wondering... What's the oldest pump you've replaced? (Rebuilds don't count.)

J.C.

Re: Oldest Pump???

jc how deep was it and what did you use to pull it?

Comment

P.S.

Yes I told him the next one probably wouldn't come close to lasting this long!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        P.S.

Yes I told him the next one probably wouldn't come close to lasting this long!

J.C.
        jc how deep was it and what did you pull it with?

Comment

500'. My hands. I don't have any type of pulling rig.

J.C.

Comment

LOL! I can't lie to you. Just kidding around. It wasn't that deep. Only 105'. But did pull it by hand.

J.C.

Comment

nice, dont do a lot of well work,but i know there is good money in it,that is one hel# OF A PULL by hand, well past my bedtime chat with you latter.

Comment

I can do 105' by myself, without stopping. It's not as deep as it sounds.

Me and 2 other guys, pulled one in the range of 400' deep once.

One guy 'steered' the tube, rope, and wire, and me and another guy pulled it.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron, that's a hard pull. Even for three guys. I know how much a submersible 400' down can weigh with all the water in it. I would have had to pull it with something mechanical.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks.

If your by yourself, and you need to stop, have a hose clamp ready and have it 'split open', 5/16" nut driver/torque wrench/flat head screwdriver, and a 14" pipe wrench near by.

Tighten the hose clamp around the poly, and rest the 14" pipe wrench on the top of the well case.

The hose clamp will then rest of the jaws of the pipe wrench.

I've thought about it, but never tried it. I wonder if one of those clamps with the rubber pads on them that wood workers use would hold and not slip?
                    Last edited by Aaron91; 05-31-2008, 01:18 PM.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                      I can do 105' by myself, without stopping. It's not as deep as it sounds.

Me and 2 other guys, pulled one in the range of 400' deep once.

One guy 'steered' the tube, rope, and wire, and me and another guy pulled it.
                      That's pulling about 175lbs. upward for 400'. (Estimating pump & pipe weight)
                      Hard to do. Especially when that pipe gets slick.

J.C.

Comment

I usually pull them with a rope and my pick up truck. Also have a well wheel that clamps onto the caseing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          Thanks.

If your by yourself, and you need to stop, have a hose clamp ready and have it 'split open', 5/16" nut driver/torque wrench/flat head screwdriver, and a 14" pipe wrench near by.

Tighten the hose clamp around the poly, and rest the 14" pipe wrench on the top of the well case.

The hose clamp will then rest of the jaws of the pipe wrench.

I've thought about it, but never tried it. I wonder if one of those clamps with the rubber pads on them that wood workers use would hold and not slip?
                          They make this already. Cannot think of the name to save my life but I've used it before. Check with a well supply company. We used it hold pvc pipe during the grouting of a well.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

up-z-daisy anything over 100' if less than 100' i have a footjack. it grabs the pipe to prevent it from slipping out of my hands. The worst is wehn you have to go "fishing" that is fun!

Comment

Back to my original question though... What's the oldest pump you've replaced? Submersible, jet, circulating-whatever.

This one was around 35 years old. That's the oldest one I've pulled.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X