Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn In For No License

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Turn In For No License

    Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
    However, there will always be a market and a demand for unlicensed workmanship, as much as anyone tries to eliminate it.

    You must not care about the plumbing trade or the future of it, for that matter.

    What you said is very true, but at the same time very insulting to guys like me who spend a good deal of my profit on making sure I am being a good business to the public, and upholding the importance of the trade for others after me.

    If you cared, you would try to eliminate the problems we have in the trade, not just try to make a quick buck.
    sigpic

    Robert

    Comment


    • Re: Turn In For No License

      15 pages, that has to be some sort of record. What are three plumbers and a hack doing up past midnight anyways. Nevermind, that sounds like the opening to a really bad joke.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

      Comment


      • Re: Turn In For No License

        Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
        Since we are talking about licenses, its kind of weird how you don't need a license to work on a vehicle where you would probably get killed (or kill someone) easier than installing plumbing. I'm not saying installing plumbing wrong can't get someone killed or seriously hurt (installing gas lines wrong, not installing a T&P valve on a water heater if one has to be manually installed, etc.) but with vehicles, it just seems like one would need to be licensed since I'm thinking (just a guess) more people are killed on the road due to faulty work on a vehicle than faulty plumbing.

        Just random thoughts since we are on the topic of licenses. I'm not backing anyone up here. Just throwing out random stuff LOL!
        I believe you discount the risk to public health from improperly maintained or installed plumbing. How many people died or were infected with the SARS outbreak? Our good buddy dog recommended a book to us last year named "Flushed: How the plumber saved civilization". It is a great book for all of us to read.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • Re: Turn In For No License

          Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
          How in the world did you hear that?

          With the computer you can find anything. Heres your myspace account

          http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=55859962

          Comment


          • Re: Turn In For No License

            LOL!


            Time to amp this thread up!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

            Comment


            • Re: Turn In For No License

              Obviously I do care about it and spend quite a bit of time discussing it with others, studying, etc. Want to know what I spent on advertising last year? $0 Except for the $3.99 a month to keep my website activated, and the cost of having my business cards made up, so I can give one to the guy at Home Depot with a puzzled look on his face after I show him what he really needs. All of my work has come from repeat customers and referrals and maybe a couple from the website which I just created in December. This enough shows a general concern and well-being for my customers. I am on-time, courteous, clean, honest, and know what the hell I'm talking about regardless of any license. I am not trying to lure anyone in with a fancy ad in the Phone Book, or any phony flyers, newspaper ads, etc.

              Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              You must not care about the plumbing trade or the future of it, for that matter.

              What you said is very true, but at the same time very insulting to guys like me who spend a good deal of my profit on making sure I am being a good business to the public, and upholding the importance of the trade for others after me.

              If you cared, you would try to eliminate the problems we have in the trade, not just try to make a quick buck.
              Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-01-2008, 11:24 PM.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

              Comment


              • Re: Turn In For No License

                Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                With the computer you can find anything. Heres your myspace account

                http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=55859962
                Take a look. There I am in all my plumbing glory. Cute kid by the way. Oh well, anyone want to buy any Drum machines,Tristands, tools, fittings, truck. Rick my truck kinda looks like yours, but a little bigger. In the market for another one?.
                Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-01-2008, 11:22 PM.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

                Comment


                • Re: Turn In For No License

                  Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Take a look. There I am in all my plumbing glory. Cute kid by the way. Oh well, anyone want to buy any Drum machines,Tristands, tools, fittings, truck, etc.
                  You're not a plumber.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Turn In For No License

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I believe you discount the risk to public health from improperly maintained or installed plumbing. How many people died or were infected with the SARS outbreak? Our good buddy dog recommended a book to us last year named "Flushed: How the plumber saved civilization". It is a great book for all of us to read.

                    Mark
                    Good call, Mark I might have to look into that.
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

                    Plumbing Reviews

                    Comment


                    • Re: Turn In For No License

                      [quote=Devine Plumbing;147477]1. Trust me, if the market in my part of the country would allow me to charge more, I certainly would. If I could make $400-$500 on an install I think that would be great. However, I would be putting myself right out of business. If you're not working, it doesn't really matter what you charge. All I have heard about is how low this price is, yet none of you are disclosing what a simple WH replacement is in your area cost the customer or the profit margin. You can tell me all you want about their not being a standard price, due to too many variables, but with the price of gas I have to at least give a rough estimate over the phone to all of the price checkers.

                      2. Tell me about my competition. They are all complaining about the economy and how there is no work to be had, while I usually end up out until after 8:00 at night.

                      Obviously, I do offer a little more than a month warranty. I will usually offer a 2 yr. warranty on workmanship. However, what do most of you do if a WH fails after just a year, when the manufacturer won't reimburse for costs? Obviously there are not too many people doing this out of pocket, unless there initial install costs are exceedingly high.

                      I guarantee I do more free work for my regular customers than anyone else who participates on this board. Not a charity organization, but I do end up working about 2-3 hours a week pro-bono. I work directly with a church and helping those who cannot afford it. The referrals from these jobs have multiplied many times over.[/quote]

                      douglas, i would like to take you up on that bet




                      Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Obviously I do care about it and spend quite a bit of time discussing it with others, studying, etc. Want to know what I spent on advertising last year? $0 Except for the $3.99 a month to keep my website activated, and the cost of having my business cards made up, so I can give one to the guy at Home Depot with a puzzled look on his face after I show him what he really needs. All of my work has come from repeat customers and referrals and maybe a couple from the website which I just created in December. This enough shows a general concern and well-being for my customers. I am on-time, courteous, clean, honest, and know what the hell I'm talking about regardless of any license. I am not trying to lure anyone in with a fancy ad in the Phone Book, or any phony flyers, newspaper ads, etc.
                      you spent $3.99 more than me on advertising

                      douglas, i for one always moonlighted when i was an apprentice through journeyman. the difference was, i was a licensed plumber and not a licensed contractor at the time. i never took on big work moonlighting.

                      i think what you do is no different than what all of us have done 1 time or another. but the guys here do take their careers serious. that's why they are devoted and are here.

                      i think you do a better job than most of the non licensed guys i run across. that's why you're successful. but truthfully the liability you are risking is way too much.

                      it's not too difficult to apply for a contractors license. passing the test is a different issue. out here the business part of the test was the part we all have to study.

                      spend the time to research what you need to and go for it.
                      i'm sure all the guys will cheer you on, like they have for the others here on the forum.

                      you have exposed yourself too much, to too many and i'd be concerned you might have an issue

                      please go and talk to your state contractors board and get started on your license. don't risk all you have built up on a poor decision

                      keep us posted and feel free to ask for help or p.m. us for help. no one wants to cause issues.

                      guys, please cut douglas a little slack. i'm sure he means no harm and will come back with good news.

                      good luck and keep us posted on getting licensed.

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • Re: Turn In For No License

                        What I don't get, he has a degree in Aeronautics.
                        Oh wait...that means he's an engineer...ahhh it all adds up.
                        Sorry Wrench Spinner...just a light jab, but then you're the real deal, legit to the bone.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Turn In For No License

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          .....guys, please cut douglas a little slack. i'm sure he means no harm and will come back with good news.

                          good luck and keep us posted on getting licensed.

                          rick.
                          I'll think it over the next time my family wants to go out to dinner and I have to say no because I had a slow week over hacks stealing work.
                          His wife drives a real nice new car though.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Turn In For No License

                            Devine I did a little research and found some information for you. The bad news is your State has decided to be the toughest State in the Union when it comes to unlicensed Contractors. The fine is one year in jail and a $25,000 fine plus the possible seizure of your property and civil judgements up to $50,000. The good news is you can apply for a contractors license by hiring a Master Plumber to work with you. That will give you hours under a Master Plumber plus open your business to bigger and better jobs. Had you done this years ago it may have been easier but today it is what it is. In addition to the other requirements to get a Contractor's license as of today you now also need to take a 60-hour class on being a Contractor. I believe that is where I would start and I would start looking for the class tomorrow.

                            Good luck-Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • Re: Turn In For No License

                              Hmmm, Maybe I am missing something. If I still am not legally able to do plumbing, what benefits does a general contracting license provide me? As I have understood it the only way to obtain a journeymans license is apply for an apprenticeship and then work for three years under a master plumber, followed by another two years under a master plumber to obtain a masters license. I applaud all of you that have done it. However, after about 2 years and only making $11 an hour, (back in 98) while the boss charges $75+ an hour for my time. Spend about 3 hours in travel time during the day, meaning the chief has $375 worth of billable time, and I am only seeing $88. I know there is a lot of overhead to running a business, but man I guess there were too many easy ways around the system and there were too many people begging me to come and do side work for them for $50 an hour. When I was 21 and only making $11 it was just too tough to say no. Now that I have become accustomed to working for myself and setting my own hours I don't know if I could make the transition back very well.
                              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Turn In For No License

                                Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                                I'll think it over the next time my family wants to go out to dinner and I have to say no because I had a slow week over hacks stealing work.
                                His wife drives a real nice new car though.
                                Her soccer mom SUV is five years old, but someone has to make the damn payments.
                                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X