X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Turn In For No License

Complete water heater replacement...................$600.00

Advice you get on this forum.............................Priceless

You struck a nerve making light of not having a license on this forum. Many of us have worked very hard to achieve what we have. Sure, running a legitimate business has a high overhead, but you can go for the big jobs and the big money legally and safely. Your license protects you and your customer. If your going to do it right you can't take shortcuts, just because you know how to do it doesn't mean you can do it, there are rules that must be followed. If you know the trade, you shouldn't have any problem passing the test. You may get credit for the time you worked at the plumbing company, so it may not take you as long as you thought it would. Is it worth the risk to lose everything you have gained so far? Listen to these guys, they are very smart and are here to help you, if you want the help. Good luck
    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      Boy isn't that the truth. Plus I enjoy what I do. Flying is fun, but plan on making about 50K flying corporate a$$holes, or less if you end up instructing. If you do land a job with a well known carrier pay is not much better and you are stuck in the right seat until you turn 50 and they finally let you fly in the left hand seat for about 5 years before forcing you into retirement. Plus I went to college in Daytona Beach, FL and at 18 school is not always at the top of your priority list. Spent a year partying plus $20K down the tube.
      I know this is off topic but my middle son just resigned his position as a police officer to become a helicopter pilot working the Gulf of Mexico. He took a hugh cut in pay but it's what he loves to do.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I know this is off topic but my middle son just resigned his position as a police officer to become a helicopter pilot working the Gulf of Mexico. He took a hugh cut in pay but it's what he loves to do.

Mark
        Yea, pay isn't that big of a deal if you're doing what you like. If your doing what you like, you become better at it, and the pay follows.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post

You struck a nerve making light of not having a license on this forum. Many of us have worked very hard to achieve what we have. Sure, running a legitimate business has a high overhead, but you can go for the big jobs and the big money legally and safely. Your license protects you and your customer. If your going to do it right you can't take shortcuts, just because you know how to do it doesn't mean you can do it, there are rules that must be followed. If you know the trade, you shouldn't have any problem passing the test. You may get credit for the time you worked at the plumbing company, so it may not take you as long as you thought it would. Is it worth the risk to lose everything you have gained so far? Listen to these guys, they are very smart and are here to help you, if you want the help. Good luck
          Perfect, scathing retort here beats a $50K fine and loss of home any day, well said.

Comment

What a serious pain in the a$$ to get licensed though. I would just rather hand someone about $10K and have them give me the approval to take the test.

Comment

Nothing worthwhile comes easy
              The Other Rick

Comment

Boy isn't that the truth. Plus I enjoy what I do. Flying is fun, but plan on making about 50K flying corporate a$$holes, or less if you end up instructing. If you do land a job with a well known carrier pay is not much better and you are stuck in the right seat until you turn 50 and they finally let you fly in the left hand seat for about 5 years before forcing you into retirement. Plus I went to college in Daytona Beach, FL and at 18 school is not always at the top of your priority list. Spent a year partying plus $20K down the tube.
                I see an irony there, thats more than the average salary for a plumber makes.
                Leads to the probable conclusion that you now make more than the average plumber by skipping the overhead, insurance and fee's we have.(by the way...we make more in my area...cost of living is higher as well)

Comment

douglas, since your fairly close to were we'll be for the week at the roundup in ohio.

can you come and fly 9 of us around

our private charter is only to get us there and home. we still need to get to the events.

the bus is nice, the plane is better

plus mark, adam/ dirtyhands and myself are not busting your chops

we'll even give you a crash course on the plumbing test

you in

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I see an irony there, thats more than the average salary for a plumber makes.
                    Leads to the probable conclusion that you now make more than the average plumber by skipping the overhead, insurance and fee's we have.(by the way...we make more in my area...cost of living is higher as well)
                    I don't doubt there are a lot of plumbers making a hell of a lot more than I do (I've seen some of their invoices). There are probably even a couple making less. I certainly don't outcharge them, but I might outwork them. I live pretty simple and things are pretty cheap up here right now as many are worried about the economy. I might make that or a little more after expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      douglas, since your fairly close to were we'll be for the week at the roundup in ohio.

can you come and fly 9 of us around

our private charter is only to get us there and home. we still need to get to the events.

the bus is nice, the plane is better

plus mark, adam/ dirtyhands and myself are not busting your chops

we'll even give you a crash course on the plumbing test

you in

rick.
                      As long as you don't mind a few rough landings. Only legal to fly a four-place aircraft. That only leaves room for three so a few of you are going to have to stay home or ride on the wing. I would come to the roundup, but would probably end up tarred and feathered.
                      Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-02-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

What a serious pain in the a$$ to get licensed though. I would just rather hand someone about $10K and have them give me the approval to take the test.
                        I'll trade woes.
                        I lost years in my apprenticeship over a friend who swore he could cover my hours as long as I agreed to work for the equivalence to a licensed hourly pay on the cuff so he could avoid comp & insurance.
                        I repeatedly told him it didn't sound right, that I'd heard the board checked paperwork.
                        He told me I was wrong, that he had ways around it.
                        It didn't happen, in the end he found out the board was pulling W-2's and yanking licenses at the drop of a hat.
                        I was left to decide on reporting a friend who had a wife & kids to prove my time, or doing the time over again.
                        I did the time over.
                        I distinctly recall thinking exactly what you just said about wishing I could just pay someone off to get a signature.
                        Nobody in their right mind would take that chance.
                        I didn't get to take any shortcuts.

Edit: add to that, I got hit for my share with uncle Sam years down the road also...he found out the hard way that there was no way to botch the figures.
                        In the end I wound up making less than I would have for that time as a legitimate apprentice.
                        Last edited by DuckButter; 06-02-2008, 02:09 AM.

Comment

As long as you don't mind a few rough landings. Only legal to fly a four-place aircraft. That only leaves room for three so a few of you are going to have to stay home or ride on the wing. I would come to the roundup, but would probably end up tarred and feathered.
                          the three of us don't mind if the other 6 take the bus

fortunately we're out to help you, not eat you

plus now your a senior member in record time so you're one of us

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Nothing worthwhile comes easy
                            YUP

Comment

rick.
                              Me too, just turned senior tonight!!!!!!!!!!
                              The Other Rick

Comment

rick.
                                Geez, 20 pages. When did I get an upgrade? If only getting a license was that easy. I guess I am either going to have to go get a job and moonlight like crazy. Or go through the paperwork and find myself a mentor. I don't know what time zone the rest of you are on but it is after 3:00 here. Wife is going scrapbooking until noon, so at least I can sleep in a little, unless my kids decide to get up at 8:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X