Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turn In For No License

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Is this a good plumber, does he do good work? I think this is the most important question. Why does the plumber working for the GC piss you off? Isn't he just an employee and not a subcontractor which would require the liscense? Maybe the beef should be with the GC. Maybe the GC doesn't know the current law. As far as him doing side work, I think the majority of us have done side work if we worked for another company. What type of side work is he doing? Big work-repipes, main line replacements or is it just small stuff-fixing a toilet? Another question-would you care about this plumber if he wasn't Hispanic?
    Maybe it is on the GC. All types of sidework with some that would require licensing. I don't recall doing any sidework myself that required licensing before I was licensed.
    Just feel there should be a level playing field in business and was wondering how others felt. I would feel the same way about the situation regardless of ethnicity, sex, race, religion etc.

J.C.
    J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Is this a good plumber, does he do good work? I think this is the most important question. Why does the plumber working for the GC piss you off? Isn't he just an employee and not a subcontractor which would require the liscense? Maybe the beef should be with the GC. Maybe the GC doesn't know the current law. As far as him doing side work, I think the majority of us have done side work if we worked for another company. What type of side work is he doing? Big work-repipes, main line replacements or is it just small stuff-fixing a toilet? Another question-would you care about this plumber if he wasn't Hispanic?
      In Illinois you can't perform the trade without a license, whether you are a contractor or an employee, even the apprentices have to carry an apprentice license and have a journeyman on the job. In Chicago you can't pull a permit without a license, even if you are the property owner.

Comment

jc sorry it so long to post on this thread, but i just finished rounding up a posse and were heading your way, hel# yeh i would turn him in,i like so many of you out there i busted my as# to learn paid my dues got my journeymans license then my masters lisc in plumbing and gas and boilers, i would turn this sack of shi# in in person you want to play in the big leagues do it right, iam sure hes to cheap his work sucks hel# if i dont have a license why have insurance, probably doesnt even have a drivers lice.get this parasite of the street. ps let him read all of our posts

Comment

The band of brothers has spoken.

After some thought, it sounds to me like the GC should be the one reported, since its his employee. He knows rules, he's just breaking them to make a bigger profit. After the house is occupied and the plumbing problems start arising...he'll probably be long gone.

The homeowner is the one who pays for this kind of dishonest business in the end.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

In the end, the consumer drives the sale and there are two type of consumers; those that understand the value of a professional and those that don't (only because they haven't been burned yet).

Take out the scab and another scab fills in right behind him/her. Why??Dumb consumers will always exist and they look in every crack and crevice for the next deal.

I gave up trying to enforce ethics of the trade a long time ago. I found that I am better off spending my time looking for consumers that understand the value of a professional.

Income from the professional oriented consumer = plenty $$
            Income from turning in a scab and making an enemy = 0 $$
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

A couple years ago I turned in 2 people who were working without licenses. 1 was doing tile work under his deceased father's electrical License-he paid back our non-profit and chose to spend 30 days picking up trash on the freeway. The other had his plumbing license suspended in 1985. He is still paying back the $ and chose jail time instead of trash.

The process took about 2 months but the satisfaction was priceless
              Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

For those who consider doing work in California without the proper license, not only can you not be awarded a judgement in court but now the owner can sue you and get back every cent they paid you regardless of the type of work you did. Hopefully, this will stop some of the unlicensed guys out there but it may hurt those who are sloppy with their paperwork as well.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  For those who consider doing work in California without the proper license, not only can you not be awarded a judgement in court but now the owner can sue you and get back every cent they paid you regardless of the type of work you did. Hopefully, this will stop some of the unlicensed guys out there but it may hurt those who are sloppy with their paperwork as well.

Mark
                  Yep. Our City Attorney is actually who sued and got the $ back. I forgot to mention. Guy #2 was TEACHING plumbing! He knew he was in trouble when I was watching him, questioning him, and he discovered that I was right!
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    Yep. Our City Attorney is actually who sued and got the $ back. I forgot to mention. Guy #2 was TEACHING plumbing! He knew he was in trouble when I was watching him, questioning him, and he discovered that I was right!
                    Curious as to how many students got their hours under him ...whether it was a problem for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Curious as to how many students got their hours under him ...whether it was a problem for them.
                      I don't know, but his boss use to be a plumbing inspector. He was totally on my side when I explained what was going on. He was fired after he was convicted-it was actually his second conviction. So he also owes $15,000 in fines ones we get our money back.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Last year NH ammended our code to make plumbing without a license a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

So....what are you in for kid. "plumbing without a licence"
                        sigpic

Comment

Due to overcrowding in jails here. They really do not serve the entire sentence since they are not considered dangerous to society-comparatively.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            I don't know, but his boss use to be a plumbing inspector. He was totally on my side when I explained what was going on. He was fired after he was convicted-it was actually his second conviction. So he also owes $15,000 in fines ones we get our money back.
                            Whoa!
                            I can only imagine how many hacks back away from any idea's when they hear about something like this...

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                              I'd turn their IN!!
                              Oh now quit
                              You can't tell me that Robert didn't do any side work while he was working for another company.And what did he do during the period from the time he had had enough with the thieves he worked for until he got his numbers,sit on the street corner panhandling

I did side work,so it is hard for me to be a hippocrite and just rat someone out.

Sorry
                              Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                Oh now quit
                                You can't tell me that Robert didn't do any side work while he was working for another company.And what did he do during the period from the time he had had enough with the thieves he worked for until he got his numbers,sit on the street corner panhandling

I did side work,so it is hard for me to be a hippocrite and just rat someone out.

Sorry
                                Adam
                                I find there to be a difference between side jobs and an unlicensed company representing themselves as licensed. At least with side jobs all parties know what they are getting in to.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X