Turn In For No License

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turn In For No License

I was a bootleg plumber up here for years, never advertised, but stayed very busy. Always backed up what I did, took care of my customers. Then I went legit, started advertising and rarely get a day off now. Word of mouth, referals from other customers always kept me busy, still does. Its the hackers that really get to me, I'd turn them in with no regrets.
    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      If unlicensed contractors are working inside my jurisdiction then I'm competing against them for work so then it becomes my business

You go ahead and look the other way, maybe it won't affect you
      I'm not saying look the other way entirely.

If I see work that looks like a non plumber who's calling himself a plumber.I'll rase some dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        You guys all sound like a bunch of whiny cry-babies. If he is doing plumbing, regardless of whether or not he has a license, he will either go out of business because of inferior work, or he will be a success because of his superior work. If that is all you have to worry about you need to do something to make yourself a little busier. Either way, none of you have any business sticking your nose into his. You guys all sound like a bunch of tattle-tale snitches. Let the Mexican make a little money.

"Let the Mexican work"

What about all of us who lose work because they are taking over all the trades because they live 20 to a house, and send all their money back. They don't pay taxes and insurance, they use our public hospitals.

Most of all they do crappy work, what works in mexico does not work here. I just looked at a 3 bath remodel that was completely messed up, an example, all the water stub outs were on the right side of the toilet, down at the floor, behind newly laid 18 x 18 special order tile.

Just 1 example of what i saw at this house.

Good luck!
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          "Let the Mexican work"

What about all of us who lose work because they are taking over all the trades because they live 20 to a house, and send all their money back. They don't pay taxes and insurance, they use our public hospitals.

Most of all they do crappy work, what works in mexico does not work here. I just looked at a 3 bath remodel that was completely messed up, an example, all the water stub outs were on the right side of the toilet, down at the floor, behind newly laid 18 x 18 special order tile.

Just 1 example of what i saw at this house.

Good luck!
          Now that I would have something to say about to someone.What does the homeowner know about this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Now that I would have something to say about to someone.What does the homeowner know about this guy?

Yeah, I was gonna say something, it is a crime. The only thing, I was there to give a Tankless Estimate, and I was the only licensed contractor who spoke english and knew about permits and inspection, so I would have looked like an azz to the owner, and it was a referall. But I promise you, I told him exactly what was on my mind. I didn't get the Job by the way

Also, the closet flanges were 3" below the mortar floor, I toild them how much it would take for me to fix this and all the angle stops, the wife said I was to expensive. I told her "look, you got what you paid for, didn't you?"
            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-31-2008, 11:44 PM.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I like that. Telling them "You got what you paid for."

J.C.

Comment

Illinois requires the license, unless its your own house.

A while back, I interviewed for a well known "bath tub replacement" company. I wont say the name, due to legality. I will say they promised me work, but never called.
                A few questions I asked:
                -who sets the temperature on the shower valves, because you say the plumber does not trim them out? The tub installer does, he knows "about" where the parts go, to get a good temp.
                -what do we do if we convert a tub to a shower, and the waste is all 1-1/2 inch? (State code is 2 inch). The installer can throw a reducing band on.
                I asked a couple more questions, they were not to well received. Search me why they never called back. Oh yeah, they only would pull plumbing permits if the villages required it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I like that. Telling them "You got what you paid for."

J.C.

Yeah, she didn't get it though. She will when those 4 wax rings on each closet start to slowly leak
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Oh now quit
                    You can't tell me that Robert didn't do any side work while he was working for another company.And what did he do during the period from the time he had had enough with the thieves he worked for until he got his numbers,sit on the street corner panhandling

I did side work,so it is hard for me to be a hippocrite and just rat someone out.

Sorry
                    Adam
                    Must be different there...
                    You have a license, you can do your own work, end of story.
                    I used to moonlight at one shop with the bosses son doing smaller jobs his dad had no time to deal with, the biggest problem was setting up for inspection while we were at the full time gig...one of his dads rules was we had to get the homeowner to stay home because he was NOT going to allow us time off for inspections when he was already nice enough to set us up in the first place.
                    Side work...no big deal.
                    Unlicensed work, big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Yeah, I was gonna say something, it is a crime. The only thing, I was there to give a Tankless Estimate, and I was the only licensed contractor who spoke english and knew about permits and inspection, so I would have looked like an azz to the owner, and it was a referall. But I promise you, I told him exactly what was on my mind. I didn't get the Job by the way

Also, the closet flanges were 3" below the mortar floor, I toild them how much it would take for me to fix this and all the angle stops, the wife said I was to expensive. I told her "look, you got what you paid for, didn't you?"
                      'Nuff said, I get that constantly...domineering spouse who thinks they know prices, then refuses to see the fact that the bargain hunting has created the problems...they just whine n' moan about how crappy tradesmen are.
                      Some people don't change, tell them over and over why it happened...they still choose to see it conveniently.

Comment

I think there is a big difference between side work, where everyone knows up front and agrees to the arrangement vs. someone representing themselves as a licensed contractor who isn't.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          I think there is a big difference between side work, where everyone knows up front and agrees to the arrangement vs. someone representing themselves as a licensed contractor who isn't.
                          Hmmmmm... then I might be better off dropping my license & insurance. Drop my price a certain % below the going rate and do everything on the "side". I'd stay just as busy, make as much, and have less to worry about.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            Me too

Comment

Hmmmmm... then I might be better off dropping my license & insurance. Drop my price a certain % below the going rate and do everything on the "side". I'd stay just as busy, make as much, and have less to worry about.

J.C.
                              I think there are honest people working for companies who have experience and are just getting their feet wet and set things up to go out on their own. In the mean time they are working on getting licensed, as they strive for more and have pride in their work.

Then there are people who just don't care. They feel they don't have a lot to lose and are trying to make a quick buck. They will probably never get licensed or even try to.

The people I turned in fit into the latter category. I think most of the people here fit into the first category as they were doing side work.
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

J.C.
                                I started dabbling on my own on the side...NO customers from my boss that he wasn't aware of.
                                I had insurance, and if anything I probably charged more because I had less to loose back then if I didn't get the jobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X