Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turn In For No License

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I started dabbling on my own on the side...NO customers from my boss that he wasn't aware of.
    I had insurance, and if anything I probably charged more because I had less to loose back then if I didn't get the jobs.
    I am sure you were honest about your qualifications, licensing and did a good job because you wanted these people set up to know that you were qualified and did good work, hoping on repeat business.

Rick still has customers from YEARS ago that he started out doing side jobs for and are loyal customers.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Hmmmmm... then I might be better off dropping my license & insurance. Drop my price a certain % below the going rate and do everything on the "side". I'd stay just as busy, make as much, and have less to worry about.

J.C.
      Don't forget you generally discount your work when you are doing side jobs. If you are the same price as a real business the HO will call the real business first. It is just simple economics. If you don't have a license (and the HO knows it) the HO becomes the contractor and carries all of the liability.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        I am sure you were honest about your qualifications, licensing and did a good job because you wanted these people set up to know that you were qualified and did good work, hoping on repeat business.

Rick still has customers from YEARS ago that he started out doing side jobs for and are loyal customers.
        As time passes more and more repeat customers, yes..BUT
        There are the all too often "If you can give me cheap price, I'll call you to remodel my bathroom this summer" that I never hear from.
        You don't want customers to think your priority is you'll do anything to get them back...there's a happy medium and people will play you for all your worth if they think they can.
        There were the mistakes I made early on...the ones I folded and gave in to the price game...they still call back on occasion still wanting cheap work.
        Becky used to get angry when I'd turn away work when the expectations were rediculous....now she'll actually cheer me on.

Just yesterday she sat through a conversation with a fella that insisted I shouldn't charge him for more than 15-20 minutes of my time to replace a disposal...she cheered me for standing my ground when I asked the guy to get another plumber.

The cummute to the job was 45 minutes each way.

Comment

There is definitely a line. Sometimes it is thinner than others.

There are also occasions when someone looks you in the face and says yes I am absolutely licensed. I look them up on the contractors board and either they have never been licensed, are claiming someone else's as their own, or their license was suspended/revoked. These are the ones that get me going!
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            [
            Just yesterday she sat through a conversation with a fella that insisted I shouldn't charge him for more than 15-20 minutes of my time to replace a disposal...she cheered me for standing my ground when I asked the guy to get another plumber.

The cummute to the job was 45 minutes each way.
            I have put in countless disposals and maybe I'm a perfectionist or something, but my disposal installations take longer than 15 minutes, especially replacements.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              I have put in countless disposals and maybe I'm a perfectionist or something, but my disposal installations take longer than 15 minutes, especially replacements.
              Duck is magical-he is the guy that can change a water heater in an hour. Don't question him just sit in awe Besides that isn't the important part of his point
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I gave a tankless estimate to a retired police officer yesterday who told me a story about a contractor that showed up to his house, gave him an estimate and a paper showing his insurance.

this customer had been burned by a roofing guy, so he was cautious, he checked the guy's license and insurance, all fake. he was using some other persons license in another city, and he had made up his insurance paper, with a real insurance company.

the customer notified the contractors board, and the insurance company.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

Duck is magical-he is the guy that can change a water heater in an hour. Don't question him just sit in awe Besides that isn't the important part of his point

I think he meant the customer didn't want him to charge for more then 15-20 mins, I believe it takes the duckman longer to do a disposal
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I teach Rick's customers how and where to do the research themselves. I walk them through the first one (usually former contractors that have screwed up) and then they just call if they get stuck.

When I was in court for the 2 I turned in the Judge was amazed at everything that was available to the public. I printed everything as my proof. He couldn't believe that everyone didn't just look the stuff up! I think people just aren't aware they can.
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I know, lately I am selling disposals easily though, since they can be difficult to install for some people. I sold a replacement to a guy who put the original in years ago, it took him a whole afternoon (he said) and it leaked and eventually rotted apart so he had no problem paying me to install it super tight with a labor guarantee to match the appliance warranty. Its a policy I use on all my fixtures, materials and parts. It takes some time to do a really tight, nice job during a replacement, but the peace of minds is worth it to me that it won't be a callback...ever.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have a one hour minimum charge, that gets me for an hour in case there is the "oh, while your here"
                        The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          I think he meant the customer didn't want him to charge for more then 15-20 mins, I believe it takes the duckman longer to do a disposal
                          I too figured it was probably something like that. But I prefer to believe he is magical
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Your paying attention to what I say, almost.
                            The best time I've done a gas heater in, with stock & heater in place is an hour...it's not a regular time...usually takes me about an hour & ten minutes.

ok, maybe a little longer.

I can do a disposal in a half hour, my point is that this guy literally wanted me to charge under $50, for $20 in gas, two hours time with travel and any odd stock I might need.

I'd make more money searching a dumpster for cans, and feel more dignified.

Comment

I know, lately I am selling disposals easily though, since they can be difficult to install for some people. I sold a replacement to a guy who put the original in years ago, it took him a whole afternoon (he said) and it leaked and eventually rotted apart so he had no problem paying me to install it super tight with a labor guarantee to match the appliance warranty. Its a policy I use on all my fixtures, materials and parts. It takes some time to do a really tight, nice job during a replacement, but the peace of minds is worth it to me that it won't be a callback...ever.
                              Here's a BIG reason I come here...I often forget how hard it is do many things after awhile...sometimes it's good to be reminded.
                              I forgot my first disposal until you said that.
                              Last edited by DuckButter; 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                                I have a one hour minimum charge, that gets me for an hour in case there is the "oh, while your here"
                                EXACTLY!
                                I'd lose my shirt if I charged $50 for every job, with travel time and the price of gas.
                                On discretion I will actually offer to look at other things while I'm there if the job goes very quick..I feel better when I walk out...so do they.

Comment

Working...
                                X