Turn In For No License

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn In For No License

Someone near me is plumbing pretty busily without a license. Should I turn them in or live and let live?

J.C.

Re: Turn In For No License

This isn't about burning your unlicensed competition it's about protecting the public. Rick told me about a neighbor who had a GC install plumbing on a remodel and how it was installed illegally. There is a reason testing is required to be licensed and lack of knowledge is often a reason why some work as unlicensed contractors.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Turn them in every chance you get. You shouldn't even have to ask.

Comment

I'd turn him in.

He can't be going for his license working by himself, because he's not working under anyone to gain his hours.

Unless he's just trying to get his paperwork straight to go take the test.

Have you come across any of his work?

Hear say counts for ****.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Someone near me is plumbing pretty busily without a license. Should I turn them in or live and let live?

J.C.
          I think you know the answer already. Its the LAW for a reason, especially here in North Carolina, its very strict on us licensed guys to protect the public.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Also its legal as long as he doesn't touch drain lines, water lines, gas lines, water heaters, etc.
            If all he does is change flappers, faucets and auger toilets, then its legit. A handy man can do that.

Of course if you catch him doing a water heater, or a bathroom alteration, then he's in big trouble.

Comment

Here's the whole story. Or what I think is going on from what I've been told. At one time in N.C. a General Contractor could do all of his work as long as it was up to Code. May or may not still be that way. A local GC has hired an Hispanic that once worked at another plumbing shop to do all the plumbing on his houses. Just put him on the payroll.

But I know that he's doing things independently on the side.

Either way, both situations piss me off.

J.C.

Comment

How are they obtaining the plumbing permits without a license?

Comment

Carl, in some counties here a GC can pull ALL permits when the prints have been approved. Some counties MAKE the GC do it then.

J.C.

Comment

Well if its that easy, then it sounds like he will never get caught unless its reported. I am surprised they don't require the GC to give them the plumber's license number, he has to give them a license number in order to obtain a plumbing permit, right?

Either way, report it.

Comment

Sounds right. I'm working on it...

J.C.

Comment

I'd turn their IN!!

Comment

We have a anonymous hotline setup to let the city know where work is being performed without a permit.

Used to be one of my Fav 5
                          Stop Work Order on a job 2 hours after leaving a message

Most of DC's services are extremely inefficient but when it comes to permits and parking enforcement... BAMM!... you're busted!

Sometimes we are the only sub pulling permits. Inspectors rarely ask about other trade permits

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Well if its that easy, then it sounds like he will never get caught unless its reported. I am surprised they don't require the GC to give them the plumber's license number, he has to give them a license number in order to obtain a plumbing permit, right?

Either way, report it.
                            You'd be mortified to see what some states allow, like PA for example.

JC,
                            As for right or wrong, Mark (Utah ) says it all as for as why we have licenses.

I'll take the flip side.

We have to do our time, break our backs with shovels, crawling under houses, drilling concrete, climbing into over heated attics just to name a few.
                            We go to school, buy course material & codebooks,study long hours and finally take a test...all at our expense on an apprentices pay.

More and more it seems like other trades, homeowners & gc's think we're a joke.
                            Self pronounced Kitchen & bath remodellers who don't need licenses that "throw in" the plumbing to pocket the money, or worse, scrounge from competitors by skipping the costs of electricians & plumbers, completely llowballing to take work from legitimate contractors and drag the overall market down.

He's not covered on insurance if the gas stove leaks, drains drip, or concealed water line in the ceiling gives after it's enclosed.

Bottom line, he's making money at your expense.

Comment

JC is from my state, and its actually quite strict here, thats why I am surprised.

I have to give my license number, pay and pull a permit even to change a water heater here.

Comment

Working...
                              X