X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HVAC Tech to Plumbing Tech Conversion

You own the company, right? Then if you hire someone then they need to do as you respectfully ask them. If T&M works good for you, they need to embrace it. If flat rate is a better system for you business, they need to embrace that. Good Luck!

J.C.

P.S.-Should I replace my 9.0 SEER Gas Pack?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      You own the company, right? Then if you hire someone then they need to do as you respectfully ask them. If T&M works good for you, they need to embrace it. If flat rate is a better system for you business, they need to embrace that. Good Luck!

J.C.

P.S.-Should I replace my 9.0 SEER Gas Pack?
      You will only save a few hundred dollars over a decade by upgrading your SEER. The real energy davings are in duct losses. The average residential/commercial property loses 30% of system capacity to duct leakage and undersized ductwork. Fix the ductwork and save thousands over a decade. Especialy if you live in CA where the power cost is sky high!
      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
        You will only save a few hundred dollars over a decade by upgrading your SEER. The real energy davings are in duct losses. The average residential/commercial property loses 30% of system capacity to duct leakage and undersized ductwork. Fix the ductwork and save thousands over a decade. Especialy if you live in CA where the power cost is sky high!
        Hooray well said. I don't know about you, but this 13 seer crap pisses me off. We're stuck with compressors the size of a large dog house and evap coils so damned tall you can't fit them, the furnace and the plenum in the basement without making up an offset that impedes the air flow. And for what a few cent's a month in electric cost? Besides that the refrigerant is more expensive, less efficient and runs at dangerously high pressures. This whole travisty was put upon the industry by the f-ing EPA, that has it's head up it's #$% most of the time. Installed a 5 ton carrier last week, damned near needed a crane to get it off the truck. It replaced a 5 ton RUUD 10 seer that two guys could lift and was 1/3 the size. Don't even ask me what a ***** the evap coil was.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          Wow, I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. They are 2 entirely different animals. I do both and learned both at the same time, and there are very little similarities between the two. Just because one can install a boiler, furnace or condensing unit does not give one the necessary skills to be a plumber, and vice versa.
          Been giving your post much thought and I think you're right after much consideration. Maybe it's that I do both that I took plumbing for granted. Thanks for keeping me in step.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Hooray well said. I don't know about you, but this 13 seer crap pisses me off. We're stuck with compressors the size of a large dog house and evap coils so damned tall you can't fit them, the furnace and the plenum in the basement without making up an offset that impedes the air flow. And for what a few cent's a month in electric cost? Besides that the refrigerant is more expensive, less efficient and runs at dangerously high pressures. This whole travisty was put upon the industry by the f-ing EPA, that has it's head up it's #$% most of the time. Installed a 5 ton carrier last week, damned near needed a crane to get it off the truck. It replaced a 5 ton RUUD 10 seer that two guys could lift and was 1/3 the size. Don't even ask me what a ***** the evap coil was.
            We provide a 10 year energy savings estimate with all of our residential estimates and we break it down three ways - cooling savings, heating savings and duct savings. It's interesting to see in real numbers what really saves money. Cooling savings are never impressive unless the old seer is 7 or less. Heating has a big impact if you can go from 70% AFUE to 90+%. Duct savings always makes a big difference unless the duct system is post 90's when the California new construction rebate programs started making an impact on duct construction quality.

It used to puzzle me when I would ask a customer a couple of years later if they thought their new system made a big difference in their energy bills. Their reaction was always, "I think so, hard to tell". Now that we let the client make smarter decisions by providing the energy estimate, when I ask the same question they say, "definitely" and then go on to describe specifc differences in their power bill this year vs. last year, etc...
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

So... have you decided to buy sectional machines or drum machines for the drain cleaning end of your new business?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                So... have you decided to buy sectional machines or drum machines for the drain cleaning end of your new business?
                I must admit thatI have been lurking for a while, searching old posts, etc... I bought a new K-60 the other day mostly due to Plumber Rick's testimonials. I'll probably end up with a drum machine before the years end, seems like they have a place when you need to keep the operation compact and tidy.

The tool that I am undecided on is the seesnake. At 5-10K the Ridgid & General appear excessively expensive. We have a duct inspection unit that we rarely use and it does not appear to be much different. I am tempted to buy a camera and pushline from South Coast Equipment and plug it into the monitor that we already have. $3,000 homemade vs. $10,000 professional grade?? I am waiting for a PHCAA trade show next weekend in southern CA to see the general and ridgid in person. Maybe then I can justify the cost! Thoughts?
                spodelee

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                  I must admit thatI have been lurking for a while, searching old posts, etc... I bought a new K-60 the other day mostly due to Plumber Rick's testimonials. I'll probably end up with a drum machine before the years end, seems like they have a place when you need to keep the operation compact and tidy.

The tool that I am undecided on is the seesnake. At 5-10K the Ridgid & General appear excessively expensive. We have a duct inspection unit that we rarely use and it does not appear to be much different. I am tempted to buy a camera and pushline from South Coast Equipment and plug it into the monitor that we already have. $3,000 homemade vs. $10,000 professional grade?? I am waiting for a PHCAA trade show next weekend in southern CA to see the general and ridgid in person. Maybe then I can justify the cost! Thoughts?
                  Ridgid came up here to do a demo on the see snake for our water district, I attended. I was impressed, its on my wish list, they may have a good deal at the show. I plan on going to the show also, I was going to go to the roundup but I waited too long and the flights out there are way too much now. Maybe I'll see you at the show
                  The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X