Cutting Cast Iron With A Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Cast Iron With A Saw

In the power tool forum below there was a discussion of metal cutting electric saws. I thought I'd post this here for the plumbers.

I was doing a school re-modernazation project a few years ago that involved connecting to numerous existing 2" cast iron vent and drain risers. You know the story: ratchet cutters smash the old pipe, and sometimes it's hard to get a grinder all the way around the pipe. One of the plumbers whipped out a Milwaukee portable bandsaw, and to my suprise it cut right through it in record time.

Once we learned that the job became alot easier.

the dog
    the dog

Plumbdog,

Agreed,if you have room for the bandsaw it does an excellent job on cast iron. If you have a lot to cut be sure to have extra blades on hand..

Be sure the pipe is well supported as I have had the pipe shift and trap the blade. On a tall ladder working in an awkward position a trapped blade can be a real problem.

I have not tried the metal cutter on cast iron. When my current ferrous blade has worn to where it almost needs replaced I will test a cut. Will post back and let you know.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

A side grinder with a thin cutting blade will work also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
        A side grinder with a thin cutting blade will work also.
        Covered grinders in my post. But, thanks for the info.

the dog
        the dog

Comment

DOG AND PLUMBER, DID A 27 STORY OFFICE REMODEL 15 YEARS AGO. ALL OF OUR TIE INS TO THE EXISITING CAST IRON WERE DONE WITH A PORTABAND. WORKED GREAT. ALSO I USED IT TO CUT ALL THE STUDS ON THE HUNDREDS OF WALL MOUNT CARRIERS AND ADJUSTABLE NIPPLES. NO SHAKING LIKE A SAWZALL.
          AS FAS AS CUTTING NO HUB PIPE THIS WAY, GOOD LUCK. DON'T THINK THE BLADE WILL LAST. OLD CAST IRON NO PROBLEM.
          PLUMBER AS FAR AS OUR CORDLESS METAL CUTTER WE HAVE. DON'T WASTE A BLADE CUTTING CAST OR NO HUB. I SAW A PERSON TRY THIS AT A TRADE SHOW WITH A 14'' ELECTRIC METAL CUTTER. THE CARBIDE BLADE DID CUT IT, BUT WE ALL WENT DEAF AND THE BLADE LOOKED SHOT. IT WAS THE FIRST AND LAST CUT THEY TRIED ON NO HUB.
          IF YOU HAVE ROOM FOR A 14'' ABRASIVE SAW, GAS OR ELECTRIC. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO FOR SPEED AND PROTECTION FROM BREAKING. 4'' CAST IRON IN SECONDS WITH NO DAMAGE. THE PROBLEM IS YOU NEED ROOM.

GOOD LUCK AND WATCH YOUR EYES ANYWAY YOU CUT IT.

RICK.

Comment

Sorry Dog, I missed that somehow.

Comment

Working...
            X