X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Disc

Have you had better experiences with ceramic disc faucets over seat/seal type? Or the other way around?

J.C.

Re: Ceramic Disc

I'd say worse.

So I installed this new mobile home hardware store special $15.99 lav. faucet in this older row home.

I go to turn the angle stops on after I'm done, and the water was trickling out.

No biggie I thought, pulled the aerator off, still **** for pressure.

I go ahead and take it all apart, there was a small amount of sediment that had gotten in/around the discs, I cleaned it up.

I put it all back together, and it contanstly drips!

I'm like wtf! at this point.

I probably pulled it around and put it together another 7 times or so and spent probably 25 minutes on it.

I couldn't figure out what was acting up on it.

The restoration company ended up having to go out and get another faucet.

I doupt if the faucet would have been a Moen (stem style) would it have given me that much ****.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

ceramic have a real advantage. but at a real cost.

great thing is they shut at the same spot, great for lever handles.

they typically don't need any force to shut.
      great for old timers like mark

drawback is they are pricey $$$

yesterday 2 newport brass shower stems $49.99 each. homeowner bought them.

they are non repairable, just replaceable.

and if you don't recognize them, you can't track down the stem.

i prefer the ceramics for reliability.

but with all the import crap, you have a hard time fixing them as parts are hard to locate on those.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I would have to agree. The ceramics are much more reliable. I seldom get a call to repair a ceramic cartridge faucet. I bet I get 2 or 3 Delta repairs a week. It could be there are just more Delta out there but I would say the inherent design of the ceramics is better. It would be sweet if they would just sell the discs and gasket on the bottom.
        I picked up two American Standard Ceramic cartidges for Amarillis friday for $21.00 each.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Ceramics are also subject to sudden pressure spikes such as when water is turned back on. I prefer delta faucets for price, reliability and ease of repair.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            ceramic have a real advantage. but at a real cost.

great thing is they shut at the same spot, great for lever handles.

they typically don't need any force to shut.
            great for old timers like mark

drawback is they are pricey $$$

yesterday 2 newport brass shower stems $49.99 each. homeowner bought them.

they are non repairable, just replaceable.

and if you don't recognize them, you can't track down the stem.

i prefer the ceramics for reliability.

but with all the import crap, you have a hard time fixing them as parts are hard to locate on those.

rick.
            $50.00 is cheap actually. The rebuild kit for a Waterworks thermostatic valve is $250.00, and one for a Dornbracht thermostatic valve $200.00.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Ceramics are also subject to sudden pressure spikes such as when water is turned back on. I prefer delta faucets for price, reliability and ease of repair.
              Delta and Moen faucets and shower valves are very easy to repair and work very well from my experience.

As for the OPs original question, both have their flaws. What Aaron said is one flaw for the ceramic discs. But a flaw for washers and seats is that if the seat is seized in place and you end up stripping it out, you are pretty much SOL. You can try and sand the seat down with a special tool, but I have never had much luck doing it that way.

So I would have to say that neither one, in my opinion, is better than the other. Its a toss up.
              Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 06-01-2008, 06:28 PM.
              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
              X