Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At Duck Butter's Request

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post

We yarn and pour all joints above ground here, NH is not allowed, and gaskets can be used below grade only.
    Thats the opposite of here. Alot of municipalities here want lead and oakum below grade and allow ty seals above.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      Thats the opposite of here. Alot of municipalities here want lead and oakum below grade and allow ty seals above.
      Yeah you UPC etc guys have it easy in Westchester County a lot of Municipalities have different requirements. For example only until very recently, as in the last couple of years the City of White Plains did not allow PVC, Now that they do each joint must be made in "accordance with the manufacturers recommendations" Charolette pipe required each joint cure for a certain time based up on its ID before it can be handled. Some upstate counties dont even have plumbing licenses, such as dutchess, sullivan and others, and some cities require you to have their license. For example a Westchester County Licensed Plumber Cannot work in the City of Yonkers which is in Westchester without a City of Yonkers License. And oh yeah a lot of counties have their own licenses and no they are not reciporical

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        YOU ARE TALENTED!!! Keep up the good work. Only a handful of plumbers by me even know what an inside outside iron is a packing iron, yarning irons, runners any of that stuff... A lost art here. Anyone younger than 40 know how to wipe a lead bend?
        I wiped my first lead bend at 15 y.o. My father was a master and taught us. At many of the shops I used to work for I was the only one to pour a lead joint & make a lead showerpan.

Comment

I wiped my first lead bend at 15 y.o. My father was a master and taught us. At many of the shops I used to work for I was the only one to pour a lead joint & make a lead showerpan.
          We have to use lead roof flashings here, I still make them as opposed to buying them, but in the niche market our shop works in we might install 10 flashings a year.

Comment

My code has similarities to Killers, we yacked 'bout this in the past on another forum.
            All commercial is metal pipe, usually CI w/copper arms.
            We only use resilient gaskets underground, none above.
            Above CI is usually no-hub ...some has to be lead/oakum (urinals).
            On undergrounds where a waste runs along with a water service we have to use lead.
            Service here is constant lead joints...most older homes have lead closet flanges, lead hubbed CI.

Comment

Yeah you UPC etc guys have it easy in Westchester County a lot of Municipalities have different requirements. For example only until very recently, as in the last couple of years the City of White Plains did not allow PVC, Now that they do each joint must be made in "accordance with the manufacturers recommendations" Charolette pipe required each joint cure for a certain time based up on its ID before it can be handled. Some upstate counties dont even have plumbing licenses, such as dutchess, sullivan and others, and some cities require you to have their license. For example a Westchester County Licensed Plumber Cannot work in the City of Yonkers which is in Westchester without a City of Yonkers License. And oh yeah a lot of counties have their own licenses and no they are not reciporical
              Since when is Yorktown Heights not in Westchester?

Westchester falls under a version of the UPC but it is not exactly UPC. Ever look at the new code book? There are so many NY exemptions its not funny, but yes it is definitely a weaker code the when I took the test 8 years ago.

New Rochelle still does not allow p.v.c.or pex

Mt. Vernon does not allow pex.

I do alot of work in White Pains and yes the do allow pvc now, but how do they know if you allow the joint to set? They also want all pvc to be cut with a chop saw.

I am licensed in Westchester County and I work in Yonkers all the time, no special license needed. I think you are mis-informed about Yonkers.

Comment

Since when is Yorktown Heights not in Westchester? I dont recall saying it wasn't?

Westchester falls under a version of the UPC but it is not exactly UPC. Ever look at the new code book? There are so many NY exemptions its not funny, but yes it is definitely a weaker code the when I took the test 8 years ago.

I do alot of work in White Pains and yes the do allow pvc now, but how do they know if you allow the joint to set? They also want all pvc to be cut with a chop saw.

I am licensed in Westchester County and I work in Yonkers all the time, no special license needed. I think you are mis-informed about Yonkers.
                Yep you are right about the yonkers thing I am on the phone with my uncle now... I dont know where i got that from other than the fact i have never worked down that way most of our work was in norther westchester and putnam

Comment

Yeah you UPC etc guys have it easy. In Westchester County a lot of Municipalities have different requirements. For example only until very recently, as in the last couple of years the City of White Plains did not allow PVC, Now that they do each joint must be made in "accordance with the manufacturers recommendations" Charolette pipe required each joint cure for a certain time based up on its ID before it can be handled. Some upstate counties dont even have plumbing licenses, such as dutchess, sullivan and others, and some cities require you to have their license. For example a Westchester County Licensed Plumber Cannot work in the City of Yonkers which is in Westchester without a City of Yonkers License. And oh yeah a lot of counties have their own licenses and no they are not reciporical
                  My bad I just reread my post and now i understand

Comment

My plumbing apprenticeship was in New york state, I learned all the old-timer stuff. Lead wipes, lead vent flashing, lead shower pans...you name it. My boss was a cranky old new york irishman who was all about TOP QUALITY. Even the service parts he use were top-notch. (We worked in the fancy-shmancy hamptons.)
                    I am glad I learned the trade at that shop, (even if he was a cranky slave-driver) because it was the highest quality one I have seen. Every shop I worked at here in North Carolina was not nearly as good. Different standards I guess.

Oh yeah and I am only 30! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
                    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Since when is Yorktown Heights not in Westchester?

I think that this is a symptom of our county and towns being completely disfunctional. We also have 46 different police departments. I think every town except mine (Cortlandt) has a police department. We could definitely get rid of a bunch of those, because right now we have 3 levels of policing (town, county, and state troopers).

Comment

It's amazing how different things are across this state,foam-core and pex are allowed anywhere here,underground,residential,commercial,13 story condos.....its all plastic.

The bureaucracy is the same tho...11 different licenses within a 15 mile radius of my house...... I LOVE NY

Comment

Awesome work Spider.

Good to know there is still projects out there where a plumber can show his abilities.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Comment

That looks lik OSB in the background.Is it fire resistant?

Comment

Speaking of lead, has anyone bought any lately? Picked up a 25 lb. bar last month. Paid $3.86/lb. After I got the bill, I told my guys to make sure they break the hubs on all the old CI they demo and save the lead. Within a week, we had about 75 lb. of scrap lead at the shop. No wiped joints for me, just rings on no hub closet bends.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                                Speaking of lead, has anyone bought any lately? Picked up a 25 lb. bar last month. Paid $3.86/lb. After I got the bill, I told my guys to make sure they break the hubs on all the old CI they demo and save the lead. Within a week, we had about 75 lb. of scrap lead at the shop. No wiped joints for me, just rings on no hub closet bends.
                                I recently had a friend who's a plumber stop by a job I was doing...he noticed my bucket of lead rings and asked why I save them.
                                He told me "Leads cheap buddy, thats not worth the trouble".
                                He isn't self employed.

Comment

Working...
                                X