Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Contractor!!!!

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I was a wee frustrated in my last response to you with the "differentiate" comment.
    You're 100% correct.
    There's a VAST difference between the misconceptions of what a salesman is, and what a good salesman really is.

I know a guy that tried self employment and thought "selling" meant doing what he beleived the proverbial used car salesman does.
    It worked very well, he was constantly working, until the threat of a law suit.

He got called on finish stock he'd used, despite promises of the best quality, he cut some corners and she refused to settle with what he supplied.
    He was "smart" by not detailing it in writing, but finally settled out of court to avoid the longterm losses of bad exposure and the possibilty of losing in court.

Embellishing, exaggerating or verballing misleading customers while cutting corners will land you in a boatload of trouble at the end of the job.

I forgot about my post on this thread...
    The guy called me back a couple of days ago and asked me why my labor was about the same, yet my stock was higher than the other bids.
    I reiterated what I'd told him before about cutting corners, that I could easily score the job by giving him what he wants...then just ignore the calls, or inform them the warranty is up in a year when things start leaking or not working right.

I offered to cut stock costs and gave him options, he stayed with my price...I got the job.

Just thought I'd thank you for the reminder, sometimes I allow frustration to veer my frame of mind off course.
    For that reason, this forum rocks!
    Glad it worked out. Sometimes I struggle internally with the whole "differentiation" concept. After all, I know darn well that my company offers the best service, expertise, and product in my area. My belief in this is so strong that I can't help but to feel insulted when a customer questions our price or what we our proposing; I fight going into a defensive posture all the time when a customer questions one of our proposals.

I just have to keep reminding myself that in this world of mass commmunication...

- where people are inundated with good and bad information just by typing "boiler" or "a/c" and hitting the enter key...

- where people have been taught by the media to "always get three bids" (a disgusting phrase that effectively implies equality in every way but price)...

- and where people have been trained to focus on "shopping" for a product regardless of their ability to understand what they are shopping for...

we are competing not as much against our competition, but rather against how people have been taught to "shop" over the last couple of decades. Hence the need to absolutely stand-out against the information gathered in the potential client's "shopping research".
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Woulda been a good story to document with pictures. Take some good pictures of your work and some pictures of the job you got outbid on. Show potential customers the difference in work. Lesson learned on the clients part but unfortunately the "work" is complete. They will have to live with it now.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Woulda been a good story to document with pictures. Take some good pictures of your work and some pictures of the job you got outbid on. Show potential customers the difference in work. Lesson learned on the clients part but unfortunately the "work" is complete. They will have to live with it now.

Josh
        We do this on every job. We take pictures before and after. When were doing a large commercial retrofit or repair, we take pictures of the system then PhotoShop in a rendering of what the repair will look like, then use that in the proposal/quote. Works every time.

We design our own brochures and even custom make a one time original that meet the needs of a particular job were bidding on. For example a military project, we will put together a really unique brochure that shows other military projects we did, embellish it with the logo of the military branch, etc...

I guarantee to everyone on this board that if you put out custom brochures, that have a positive "BAM" visual appearance you will get almost every job you bid on, even if you’re the high bidder.

Consumer, and businesses alike want to do business with winners. If you visually can show that your company portrays a winning attitude through visual stimulation you will get more jobs then you can handle.

Comment

Working...
        X