X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wirsbo Oxygen Barrier Tubing

I heard from a source that said the oxygen barrier tubing made by Wirsbo is the same tubing as their potable water tubing. He said they just label different so it doesn't get confusing to some people and think that is how all companies do it.

I have looked at Wirsbo oxygen barrier tubing and their potable water tubing and it looks the same (has that nice shiny coat), but I guess that doesn't mean anything.

Can anyone confirm this or has heard the same?

Also, I guess the reason why they do this (according to the plumber I talk to) is because the material that is put in the oxygen barrier tubing is so cheap and its easier to just change the ribbon in the printer to label the tubing different.
    Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 06-03-2008, 09:01 AM.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Wirsbo Oxygen Barrier Tubing

You heard wrong. Wirsbo Uponor, oxy barrier pipe is indeed the same pex but it has an outer coating applied to it that is the oxygen barrier. You can tell the difference betwwwn plain and oxy barrier pex by feeling it. The oxygen barrier pipe feels sticky.
    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm....

I wonder why it is bad to drink water from the oxygen barrier tubing since the coating is on the outside. I've seen the inside of galvanized piping after 70 years and I can't see the oxygen barrier piping being worse than that
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

It is not bad to drink from it. The only reason that Uponor does not list the product for potable water is because it costs thousands of dollars to get approvals. They decided that since it's primary use is for heat it makes no sense to spend the money getting the listing, when you can use the potable water type at less money.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I thought this type of pex was aluminum lined?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nope, but you can get al-pex. It has an aluminum coating on the outside, that makes the pipe a bit more rigid.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X