What to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy?

We have just purchased a Mr. Rooter franchise and need to buy a sewer cleaning machine and see snake. We have been in the plumbing trade for 20 years and decided to make the leap into the franchise world (scarey but hopefully more profitable). I think the k7500 drum machine and a 200 foot see snake with toolbox monitor would fit the bill. Any other suggestions before we make such a costly purchase? Most work will be residential but we want the ability to do commercial if the calls come in. Any advise would be appreciated!!

I OWN BOTH THE K7500 AND AN ASSORTMENT OF SEESNAKES. I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH BOTH. WISE IDEA TO ALSO PURCHASE ANOTHER SET OF CABLES IN BOTH 25' AND 50' LENGHTS. IT'S FASTER AND EASIER TO ADD WHATEVER LENGTH CABLE TO THE ORIGINAL 100' THAN CHANGING TO ANOTHER DRUM. PLUS IT'S TAKES UP MUCH LESS ROOM AND VERY EASY TO LOAD INTO THE DRUM AS NEEDED. PS. ALTHOUGH THE MACHINE HAS A CAPICTY OF 150' OF 5/8'' AND 100' OF 3/4'', I ONLY KEEP INSTALLED 100' AS IT ADDS TOO MUCH WEIGHT AND IS USUALLY ENOUGH FOR 95% OF MY WORK.
    AS FAR AS THE SEESNAKE GOES, I USE BOTH THE MINI AND STANDARD SIZE.THE MINI WORKS GREAT ON 1.5'' -4''. TOO FLEXIBLE AND NOT ENOUGH LITE FOR ANYTHING LARGER. THE STANDARD WORKS GREAT ON 2-6'', SAME REASONS AS STATED ON MINI.TOOLBOX MONITOR HAS NO RECORDER ON IT. I ALWAYS RECORD MY JOBS AND NARRATE IT FOR THE CUSTOMER, ALONG WITH LOCATING THE ISSUES. HOPE THAT YOUR NOT OUT THERE TO SELL A JOB WITHOUT THE CUSTOMER BEING ABLE TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION. I DO VIDEOS AND LOCATING FOR MANY LARGE AND SMALL PLUMBING CONTRACTORS. I'M HIRED TO DIAGNOISE AND EVALUATE THE SYSTEM. NOT TO SELL JOBS THAT ARE NOT NEEDED. THAT IS EVERY SEWER LATERAL WILL HAVE ROOTS OR OFFSETS. MOST JUST NEED A GOOD CLEANING WITH THE INFORMATION AND FOOTAGE NOTED. SOME AN ADDITIONAL CLEANOUT INSTALLED WHERE THE LINE TRANSITIONS FROM CAST TO CLAY. VERY FEW NEED THE LINE REPLACED.
    GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THIS HAS BEEN SOME HELP.
    RICK
    I LIKE THEM BOTH AND WOULD RECOMMEND THE COLOR UNIT AS I,VE FOUND THAT WHITE LED'S ILLUMINATE THE PIPE BETTER. COLOR DOES MAKE FOR A BETTER VIDEO AND ALLOWS FOR I.D. OF THE MATERIAL BETTER. MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE A GOOD LOCATOR TOO. DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE NAVITRACK OR SCOUT.

Comment

Thanks for the info Rick! I decided to buy the
      K-750 (not the 7500)with 125' of 5/8" inner core cable because of the big weight difference. I also purchased the 200' mini in color with the tool case monitor and video recorder.

I think the next machine I buy will be the 7500 and then the Standard see snake.

I purchased my equipment thru toolup.com. Where did you buy yours?

Thanks again for your reply,
      MRrooter

Comment

I ALSO HAD OWNED A K750. NOT BAD, BUT I LIKE THE AUTO FEED ON THE 7500 BETTER. ALSO THE MOTOR IS A LOT STRONGER. NOT SURE ABOUT THE 5/8'' CABLE. I DO ALOT OF ROOT CLEANING, AND JOBS THAT OTHERS FAIL AT. GLAD YOU WENT WITH THE INNER CORE.
        THE MINI IS A GOOD CHOICE. ALSO GLAD YOU WENT WITH THE RECORDING FEATURE. THE MINI IS GREAT FOR RESIDENTIAL AND I USE IT ALL THE TIME.
        EMAIL IF YOU NEED SOME TRICKS ON EITHER.
        GOOD LUCK. RICK.
        LASTLY ALMOST FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT I TEND TO PURCHASE THESE LARGE TICKET ITEMS AT THE TRADE SHOWS. EITHER THE PHCC IN LOS ANGELES, OR THE PUMPER SHOW IN NASHVILLE. BOTH TEND TO OFFER 20% DISCOUNTS AT THE SHOW.

[ 03-17-2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Working...
        X