X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Plumbing

I got a call today from a guy in northern ca. he's building a 1 bath house and is looking for someone to plumb it. He knows I'm in southern oregon and this is the closest place for him to find plumbers. He says he has a owner/builder permit and can have whoever he wants plumb it. I have a hard time believing that I can just drive over the border into ca. and start plumbing without licensing. I have no idea how california works.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Brent

Re: California Plumbing

sounds like a question for toutahnow

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
      I got a call today from a guy in northern ca. he's building a 1 bath house and is looking for someone to plumb it. He knows I'm in southern oregon and this is the closest place for him to find plumbers. He says he has a owner/builder permit and can have whoever he wants plumb it. I have a hard time believing that I can just drive over the border into ca. and start plumbing without licensing. I have no idea how california works.

Any comments would be appreciated.
      Bad day for that question with the Cali crew in OH...maybe Mark'll pop his head in later.
      I personalloy would just call his bldg dept/inspectional svc's and ask.

Comment

Most counties in California allow an owner to act as there own builder without a contractors license if they pull the permits under there own name on there own property. A lot of guys who end up with the B license in this state start out this way by flipping distrest properties. All you have to do is prove that you've done it for a few years and you qualify.

An owner/builder can hire anyone to act as his employee and to do the work.

On the other hand if BAplumber is hired and does the work and then invoices the customer on a BAplumber invoice and BAplumber is not a licensed contractor in the state that is a violation. The reason being is he is acting as a seperate buisness operation to that of the owner/builder. The key is how the money transfers hands. For example filling out a time card, and turning in invoices for material bought, gas, etc... and filling out a mileage or travel payout form.

Unfortunately Oregon does not have a Reciprocal Classifications argeement with California. If they did you could just fill out the application, pay a couple hundred bucks and be licensed.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Applicants/Re...ationsList.asp
        Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

California code is a little weird, you don't have to have a plumbing license to do plumbing work if you have the correct GC license. I personally think it is a recipe for disaster, but what the hell do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
            California code is a little weird, you don't have to have a plumbing license to do plumbing work if you have the correct GC license. I personally think it is a recipe for disaster, but what the hell do I know?
            A GC in California can handle up to three trades under a B license after that they have to show a C license for the Sub portion they represent as a company.

Most GC's I work with don't get involved with trades. They sub out everything for serveral reasons. One, as you said it's a recipe for disaster. Second it pisssssses of the C License group.

I did learn something pretty interesting about three months ago. Was job walking a 25 million dollar high rise project that was 90% done. I won't mention the GC because there big and well known. Let's just say they have a substantial amount of employees. However, since the economy has taking a dump there not seeing the multi-million dollar projects that they have been used to. So there taking this staff of guys that normally do punch lists, customer support issues for the first year of completion etc... and turning them into HVAC service personal on industrial and commercial buildings. There selling there existing project customers annual service agreements to check HVAC, cooling towers, change filters, etc.....

Thank god my speciality is highly technical with only a handful of people that are experts. If I was an HVAC guy, I would be mad as Hel{.

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly (depending on where in NorCal) When an "owner builder" pulls the permit they sign a statement saying something to the effect that all persons hired shall either be licensed contractor(with work comp ins for all employees) or an employee of the owner builder (also being covered with work comp). A phone call to the building dept and you will have an answer. Where in NorCA is the job?

Greg

Comment

All good but if out of state you can get a pass from the state to do the work even under the HO getting the permit, just check with CA.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Watersurgeon pretty much covered everything. I might add that there was a movement in the early '90's to get a law passed requiring all plumbers to be licensed by the state. The whole thing fell apart over union-non union mistrust. Electricians now have a law requiring licensing in CA. However, even though it's been on the books for a few years, they haven't gotten anywhere near complete compliance as of yet. Hopefully, licensing of plumbers will come in the not too distant future.

Comment

Working...
                  X