Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell game.

I would've made a poll, but I think its better this way:

In your personal experience, what percentage of the the time does the plumber install the shower base, & surround/tub & surround. What percentage of the time does the GC install all of the fiberglass?

I'm not asking about tile or someting that involves other trades. Just fiberglass.(let's add 5' steel tubs, just for interest)
    http://www.refined-home.com

Re: Shell game.

Does this include a shower valve, trim, tub waste or shower strainer, gypcrete pad? If not it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by wrongler View Post
      Does this include a shower valve, trim, tub waste or shower strainer, gypcrete pad? If not it shouldn't take more than an hour.
      When there's both a plumber and a GC on the job, how often does the plumber pour the mud, level the pan, cut the hole, caulk and fasten the surround?

I'm trying to word the question generically.
      http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

We always handle the full installation. That way I know it's done right. Theres also the issue of damage to the fiberglass to deal with if the contractor does it. Besides which, since it is a plumbing fixture, the G.C. can't install it without a plumbing licence anyway.
        sigpic

Comment

Same goes for shower pans. The installation of the pan and drain are fully covered in our code.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I have never been on a job where a GC touches anything plumbing related either. I can't really answer your question.

Comment

Same here. I've always done it all myself.

Comment

Yea, and I'll snap the arm offin any donkey contractor what touches my fiberglass
                sigpic

Comment

unfortunately out here in the west, tile guys do the pan, GC's do the glass and the inspectors don't care.

Comment

arggggggggggggggggggggg..............
                    sigpic

Comment

your not tellin me nuthin!

Comment

Fiberglass installs, Plumbers work. To build a full size pan with mortar as a walk in shower for tiling, guess who, me ..... I've seen many Plumbers take care of the pans and do it the right way, but I mainly use one Plumber for my jobs and we do communicate together very well. Thus, a very nice job as always and a great relationship in business....

Hey Savant........
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                          I mainly use one Plumber for my jobs and we do communicate together very well. Thus, a very nice job as always and a great relationship in business....

I have much the same relationship with most of the GC's I plumb for. Makes jobs go really smooth when the team stays the same.

Greg

Comment

To answer your the original post. Fiberglass install I do the whole thing, if it's a tile in shower base, then I pipe the drain and the GC or tile guy install the pan mortar and surround. I have only folded one shower pan, and that was in apprenticeship class(one of the things we had to do in class was fold a simple square shower pan liner and test it.)

Greg

Comment

We always instal our own fiberglass both onepiece and remodel units
                              As far as tile goes in showers bases we do the drain but the tile contractors do the liners

Comment

Working...
                              X