X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you see a problem here?

Paul Hamilton write his story, "You have to work in the Silicone Valley for a while to really understand what it is like to be a white male in the IT business now days. I've worked for the Chinese, Iranians and Indians. I could tell you some horror stories ...HORROR stories! My career went to China, India and the WWW a long time ago though. "Today, I am a plumber. I started a new career and things are that tough here in California. I was lucky enough to get on with Marina Plumbing which is a huge Corporation that does the plumbing on new construction...think BIG housing subdivisions. "I look around on the job site and I am the only white male in a sea of Mexicans. Few of these Mexicans speak English. There are usually several boom boxes blaring Maruichi music all day long. The Mexicans OWN ALL THE TRADES! The concrete workers, the framers, the heavy equipment operators, the roofers and even the truck drivers delivering building materials--ALL are Mexicans. Currently, 15 million illegal aliens commandeer jobs away from American citizens. If they don't steal those jobs, they depress the wages to the point of legalized slavery. We have an estimated one million illegal alien Chinese in this country (Source: March 2005 Forbes Magazine). At the same time, we outsource jobs to China where a billion people can't wait to make 50 cents an hour. Human smugglers bringing illegals into America make $7 billion annually according to the report. Do they work the jobs Americans won't do? False! If American doctors were paid $5.00 an hour they wouldn't be working those hospital jobs either. You have to ask yourself if you want illegal immigrant doctors working at minimum wage to perform a by-pass heart surgery on you? Would you like an illegal immigrant lawyer defending you in court for $5.00 an hour? How about a $5.00 an hour illegal immigrant college professor teaching your kids calculus? How about an illegal alien truck driver driving down the road at 70 MPH with 80,000 pounds of steel, no ability to read English and a fifth grade education-from Mexico's educational system?

You can't drown the labor market with millions of people and expect to keep your wages high when immigrants will undercut you.
    That's why the pay in China or India is less than $10.00 per day. They have 2.4 billion people in those two countries. That's why they live subsistence lives. In time, that reality will manifest itself in America as the middle class vanishes. It's already happening. You need look no further than California as an example of the first Third World State of America. Call your representative at 1-877-762-8762 and ask if he or she is on the Tom Tancredo Immigration Reform Caucus in the US House of Representatives? If your rep isn't--demand that he join because you are sick and tired of Americans jobs being given away to illegal aliens. You're sick of H-1B and L-1 visas as well as offshoring, insourcing and outsourcing. Make that call today! © 2004 Frosty Wooldridge - All Rights Reserved Order Frosty's new book "Immigration's Unarmed Invasion" www.FrostyWooldridge.com frostyw@juno.com

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      Every plumbing company I worked for supplied health insurance. I would expect nothing else. We spoke about the contractors board papers and it was handled we spoke about it Mark. Seperate invoices etc.
      Very interesting, suppose some day you get busy enough that you can justify a helper. Trying to keep the standards up what would you pay for his:

Hourly rate

Vacation days

Sick days

Holidays

Uniform allowance

Retirement package

Now as you grow a little more and can hire a service tech how much would you pay for his:

Hourly rate

Vacation days

Sick days

Holidays

Uniform allowance

Retirement package

And finally what do you currently pay for your Health Insurance?

I commend you for wanting to provide these things but I wonder if you understand the true costs of them? Then when you take in administering the Cobra accounts because the guy gets a dollar an hour bump elsewhere you have a whole new set of costs involved.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I pay $330.00 a month for medical insurance, covers my wife and I, I paid a $40.00 co-pay today for an office visit.

I understand benefits cost alot of money, I am looking towards having a very strong company before I hire anyone.

I look forward to the day when all this mess is fixed, and everyone has a social security number, they pay their part to society, and once they do, they will require a higher standard of living.

Comment

Called Robert on the phone.He had some good points as to how the government can help resolve the current situation.It would be nice to see them implimented.

I have never,ever been insured by any company.I know of none that offer it at this time,and I know of a great many.

Mark,
          That is a very high bar for me to clear.Providing insurance in this construction industry is vertually non existant.I'm sure it's not impossible, but man...I really have to look at how this is to be budgeted and stay competative.There is only so much one can pay per foot to put pipe in and get the job.There is only so much pipe a guy can put in in a day no matter how good he is.There is not that much money the developers let go of.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Called Robert on the phone.He had some good points as to how the government can help resolve the current situation.It would be nice to see them implimented.

I have never,ever been insured by any company.I know of none that offer it at this time,and I know of a great many.

Mark,
            That is a very high bar for me to clear.Providing insurance in this construction industry is vertually non existant.I'm sure it's not impossible, but man...I really have to look at how this is to be budgeted and stay competative.There is only so much one can pay per foot to put pipe in and get the job.There is only so much pipe a guy can put in in a day no matter how good he is.There is not that much money the developers let go of.

Adam
            Not to worry Adam as no one would expect you to. The non-union market has never been an area where helpers are given all of the perks. It has less to do with a desire to provide a certain standard to your employees and more to do with competing with your competition.

Mark

Comment

Don't fall off yer chairs boys, but Mass requires health insurance for all F/T employee's.
              Must be different here, but it's standard package in construction here...even before the law.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Don't fall off yer chairs boys, but Mass requires health insurance for all F/T employee's.
                Must be different here, but it's standard package in construction here...even before the law.
                Is that the program Mitt put into being recently or have you always had that?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Is that the program Mitt put into being recently or have you always had that?

Mark
                  No...I think this is Duvals doing...though I may be wrong.
                  Health insurance is a part of the cost of doing business here...the only jobs that didn't have health were very menial, unskilled.

It's yet another reason I get so defensive over bargain hunters as well as unlicensed guys that fly under the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    This fits perfectly with what Robert is hoping his state would enforce.
                    Fine the companies/persons that hire illegals and put the money aquired back into the state/hospitals.

Both required insurance and the inability to hire non-docs and have everyone pay taxes will raise the wages to a more acceptable level.

Then we can all get into a ballon basket with Mr.Wizard and go back to Kansas.

Comment

I don't want to go to Kansas, I like it here
                      The Other Rick

Comment

Isn't AllClear in Kansas?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          Ya! lets go to Canada and work.

I dare you to drive your plumbing van with lettering on it across the Canadian border and back.

My boss owns a home in Canada and took his van there, ONE TIME.
                          Are you saying he was harassed by the locals?
                          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                            Are you saying he was harassed by the locals?

Not by the locals, but by a union head there. They thought he was doing work up there so they followed him for a few days until he had enough and went and confronted them.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

eesh, Kind of hard to knock the union head though
                              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X