When a potential customer calls....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When a potential customer calls....

Just to add something about pricing. I advertise on craigslist (I know, I'm a loser) so I do get so bargain shoppers. I tell them upfront what my price range could be. 9 out of 10 people who call me want me to do the job. Telling the price upfront eliminates me to come out to the house for nothing and have to charge a "diagonstic fee" to cover my expenses and this gets rid of that one person who wants their drain cleaned for 49.99.

Don't be cheap. I started off cheap until I talked to Robert. I'm not ripping anyone off by any means but I'm not losing out either. By keeping a high price, other companies feel comfortable subbing out work to you because they know you're not going to underbid them. If the job goes picture perfect and you want to give some money back, that's easy. Let your workmanship get you business not your price.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

With regards to answering phones.

A call to our office allows you route your call to different people. Sales, service, etc...

Our service message states that if its an emergency and you cannot get a hold of anyone in the office to call the number provided. That's our emergency phone and someone always has it on them. That phone has a message that says, if you don't get an answer to leave one and someone will call you back within a few minutes. We make it a point of checking that phone when were out a cell service area frequently for messages. Otherwise we get VM alert and the first opportunity the message is checked and responded too.

Comment

1. the phone stays in the van when i'm on a job. all of my attention is on the task at hand not my phone. as soon as a jobis done and i'm ready to leave i check the phone and return ANY voice mails or unanswered calls if the number comes up on the display.

2. if someone calls and asks about the cost i explain that a typical drain cleaning is between $150 and $225. the price may vary depending upon the difficulty of the job and the length it takes. if they are persistant about a flat rate i tell them $360 whether i'm there 15 minutes or all day. that figure is based on my service call charge, 3 hours labor and $15 for any parts that may be necessary.

3. i ask questions about the job. the problem, how long has this been going on, any other area effected, i ask when will some be there so i can schedule them. talking TO and not DOWN to a potential customer gets me a lot of mileage.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I always answer my phone no matter what. I advertise for FAST, convenient service and that means answering every call. Soon my wife is coming to work for me so I won't have to answer the phone during the day when I'm driving or talking to clients. That will be a huge relief. I often get jobs from great new clients that chose my company simply because I was the first live person to answer the phone! Nowadays most people WILL NOT wait for you to call them back.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            If the job goes picture perfect and you want to give some money back, that's easy. Let your workmanship get you business not your price.

The last sentence is right-on. However I disagree with your first above. If you bid a job for a fixed fee. Then thats the fee. You got to make it when you can because one day you will miss something on a bid job and have to eat it. Dont give money back

Regards,

Biscuit

Comment

Working...
            X