No announcement yet.

Split nut OUCH!! Packing nut...that is.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split nut OUCH!! Packing nut...that is.

This could have been real bad. I went to give an estimate for a couple hosebib replacements as well as a valve, this valve in the pic. I looked at all the hosebibs, then this valve. It was leaking at the packing nut. I told the H/O that 99% of the time its just the nut and a turn can take care of the problem. Well, I turned it and lookout! It started spraying! I called the H/O to find out where I could turn off the well. Needless to say, 30 minutes later it was replaced. The split is old, as the brass is dull and dark in the rack.

I am glad I did not trun it and leave, yuck! I told the H/O that his wife had called for an estimate, and I would be happy if he payed me for the parts. I did not want them to think this is how I earned a living (breaking, or B.S.) He said he would pay my price...so I gave him a great deal. I replaced one hosebib as well, and need to call back with an estimate for the rest of work.
    Attached Files

Re: Split nut OUCH!! Packing nut...that is.

Had one fall apart on me as I was estimating a kitchen remodel for a second floor condo.
    Lady asked me if I thought I should replace the stops...I bent under the sink to see how well they shut off and splat...water gushing right in front of her.
    I scrambled like a maniac for the basement.
    I got back up stairs completely out of breath and said "Yes, I think you'll need to replace them."

Comment

Here's the real problem! I can do little job estimates all day, and go broke with My time and fuel. I think It's better to say I'll come for $$s an hour and do Your list. Otherwise I'll pass!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thats why i never touch anything before letting the owner know I can't be responsible if it breaks, even if its just a packing nut. Always tell them ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Here's the real problem! I can do little job estimates all day, and go broke with My time and fuel. I think It's better to say I'll come for $$s an hour and do Your list. Otherwise I'll pass!
          I dunno, I agree fully, but this last week I've had a handful cancel after scheduling estimates.
          It's always the same...they get another guy to agree to go for free.

In the same respect though...the jobs that require in-person estimates are usually remodels & other larger jobs that tend to be less money per hour.

I guess I'll let my competition take those jobs, I grab what they're too busy to get to....the smaller hits that net more money hour per hour.

Comment

This was a personal referral, not a call in.

Comment

I pulled a good one yesterday. My journeyman helper and I were testing RPZ's at a school. The #1 testcock was clogged. I shut off the #2 control valve and closed the main shutoff valve. I pulled the nipple and 1/2" valve off. I poked the built up scale and whoosh! Water started blasting out and hitting a control panel about 7 foot behind me. I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket as a shield and hollered at my partner to grab the nipple and screw it in. He couldn't get it started until I told him to open the valve. What a way to start a Monday morning.

Comment

Working...
              X