Better think twice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better think twice

This is a link from another forum. Please be careful and realize that you're responsible for your own safety. I deliberately posted here to get more views.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2004/pu.../nytimes1.html
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Better think twice

Somebody here had a close call recently (I think within the last 6 months).

Garager, was it you or your foreman? Who ever it was, was lucky to get out of the trench alive!
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Very sad story. The company name seems really familiar for some reason.

Comment

I had one cave in on me when I was a second year apprentice. I was in a 4' deep trench and I was using a chipping gun for a water entry point through a foundation, the vibration cause the sides to collapse just behind me. It pushed me foward, but i was very lucky. Ever since then, I tell the excavators that they must shore it all up.

Comment

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/ci...2/story10.html

I remember getting the auction house letter to buy up equipment from this plumbing business when it got canned.

Glad to see their ending.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That whole story is just sad. I don't know what else to say. It's just heartbreaking. I can almost see trenches without bracing being something done often to cut costs. Or am I wrong?

By the way, do some companies just use 4x8" sheets of plywood and some 4x4s for braces? Or is there actual equipment for bracing?
            Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 06-10-2008, 12:47 AM.
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

The deepest one I was ever involved in was 23' deep......and I only got halfway down. I was sending pipe and fittings to the guy....the trac-hoe had shelfed the walls of the dirt 4 times.....meaning by the time it got to the 4th layer.....that hole was 40' wide at the top......with a whole crowd of people watching that small figure we called a plumber down at the bottom of that whole equation trying to force a 22' onto a piece of SDR with duck butter.

Tied off with a extension cord around his waist......with a track hoe bucket extended over the opening of the ditch in case the walls started to move.

A gamble......but fortunately no one was killed.

Ahh the memories of a time and place..........back when all I knew was cutting pipe and fetchin tools! Snap!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                Somebody here had a close call recently (I think within the last 6 months).

Garager, was it you or your foreman? Who ever it was, was lucky to get out of the trench alive!
                Nope, wasn't me. Those are the stories I don't like to read about, well anything about death for that matter... Sad story indeed....
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It is just sad that OSHA plea bargained and removed "willful" so that the family was able to sue them out of existence. When they end up with these half-enforcement measures they are probably doing more harm than good, because they end up shielding the perpetrators from liability.

Comment

I was on a job where we were cleaning out a sewer for a man who was blind . the cable got stuck about 75 feet out . the next day we hired an excavator to come out and dig up where the cable was hung up and we were going to put in an outside cleanout at the same time. The sewer was about 12 feet down. The homeowner being blind called up the county sanitary engineers to make sure we were not taking advantage of him. when the enigineer showed up he wanted us to put in gravel along the base of the new section of pipe so I left to get some. after I left he said he wanted a wye fittin instead of a Tee so the excavator said he had one at his shop and went to get it. now the only people at the job was my brother and the blind homeowner as the county employee took off also. My brother proceeded to go into the hole to start working on the collasped sewer tile and get the snake out. Lucky for him he forgot a tool and had to come back out of the 12 foot hole because as soon as he got to the top of the ladder it caved in and the only person still there was the blind guy . This was soon after starting our business and we definatly use all safety precausions now

Comment

That's a close call for sure.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have the topper of all toppers.

about 10 years ago a GC I know calls me up to look at an estate home up in the hills of Laguna Beach. Drive up there, and have to go around a land slide that occured on someones property. Finally get to the project and I am talking to my buddy about the landslide. He says, "Oh that, yeh that happened about a week ago, there still clearing it up. Turns out they had a landscape sprinkler that had been broken underground years ago and had been saturating the hill side." So I ask, how are they going to shore up the hill to keep the yard from falling down.

"Oh, that's even better, you got to see this"

So we walk down the street to this house. Walk up driveway and into the yard were there's a couple dozen illegals working. He walks me over to what looks like a couple foot in diameter drilled foundation hole. Nope, it was a round hole about four or five feet in diameter. It had a tripod pully system over the top of it, and down inside some twenty or so feet was Miguel, with a shovel and a Homer bucket, and they had three or four of these holes going at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                          It had a tripod pully system over the top of it, and down inside some twenty or so feet was Miguel, with a shovel and a Homer bucket, and they had three or four of these holes going at the same time.
                          That's how dry wells were installed 'back in the day'.

That article is a shame.

I'm gonna be straight to the point, and I know many aren't gonna agree.

He knew safety precautions weren't being followed. He should have left that shop.

Yes, I understand he had a wife and kid to provide for.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

when i was in the union on long island 20yrs ago i was on a pipe crew and we were working on a job where we were 75ft down .the use a metal box to work in but the water table was only 20ft from the top .they use large pumps with pips on both to suck the water out ,but they could not stop the water .so the went and freezed the ground and that worked
                            lets say that was cool
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Arron, I agree with you but its a very easy thing to say, it's another to actually do it knowing your family will go without till you find another job. Yes, I KNOW full well they will go without for ever if you die. You don't have to preach to me about this stuff, I am on people all the time about it and "doing the right thing". I'm just saying that it is difficult for a young buck to make a move like that, ESPECIALLY when you see what the result is as far as support from your government.

I took a course in college a couple years back on construction safety law. For our final we had to do a paper and presentation. Mine was on OSHA's lack of enforcement on violations just such as this. It is alarming and the real crime is the wimps at OSHA who do nothing but give the Act (that's the law that the OSHA regs are supposed to enforce) lip service.

Some of you may remember OSC's encounter with some ditch work in FLA a couple years ago and how everyone here (including me) re-enforced his instinct to "make the call" before someone got hurt or killed. He did and as it turned out IIRC they were also a repeat offender.

You've all heard this line...
                              "No one is looking out for you but yourself"

Unfortunately it's no joke, YOU are your best (and sometimes ONLY) line of defense from injury or death, so don't fall asleep on the job....the job of protecting your own butt that is.
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X