X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival In The New Gas Economy

We need to ALL help one another in this mess! Lets come up with some rules of survival.
    This forum has a lot of wisdom to offer. We all have familys to support , mortages to pay.
    We need to come out the other side whole. Lets start on being fuel smart. I have a 96 e-350 ford van 460 engine ,7 mpg. I do carpentry,plumbing,elec. ect. on My own jobs only. As some of You know, this is legal under 3 trade rules, for a licensed ca. Gen. Piss You off?,let it go, this thread is to help all. Should I junk this truck? Should You make a truck change?
    Its Up to You all, if You wan't to help one another.Also ,maybe We need an estimate policy
    Thank's Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Survival In The New Gas Economy

I got a 95 E350 and as of tomorrow I'm handing over the keys to drop a new 460 in it.

7 miles to the gallon you say?

Niiiiiiiiiice. I'll be selling body fluids again!

It's my event/demonstration truck so I'll be limiting how much I drive in it. You literally can watch the gauge drop on the expressway.....it's that bad.

I say to help with costs..........no teenage drivers period........can't drive a car till you're........21.

Churchgoers must have services online or on tv,

No trips to the grocery store for milk only,

Only allowed one trip to the hardware store weekly,

NetFlix is your only source of movie viewing, ever.

Carpool when there's a medical emergency.

That covers it!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Check the tire pressure and buy a cheap car like a 1996 toyota camry 4 cylinder. I just sold mine and got 35 mpg and only cost 2700 kelly blue book. Use this car for estimates or any small deliveries you can do.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have been trying to plan ahead, spending a little more time on completing lists, days that I am doing pickup work/bidding etc I try to backtrack as little as possible etc. etc. Been thinking of a little car for days when I can leave tools at the jobsite, but then there's additional ins, maintenance and etc. to think about.

My 96 f150 gets about 13-15 MPG so I guess its not as bad as it could be. When it dies, (215k on it) I have told myself over and over that I need a bigger truck, now I am almost scared out of it...

scary times ahead.

Greg

Comment

I just bought a Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat edition. I use this sweet ride for leisure and doing estimates. Gets about 11mpg in the city 15 on the highway. My work van is an '04 e-250 gets about 10 mpg. My wifes ride is an '05 Lincoln Navigator Premier Edition gets about 11 mpg. I love my cars and probably wouldnt give them up unless gas went to $10/gal.

Comment

I have a 96 Chevy Cheyanne, V6 about 15+mpg depending on driving habits. It is loaded with K1500, cables tools etc. Oh yeah, fiberglass cap too.

I try to limit the long trips. Menards is 3 miles down the road. Supply houses deliver for $5.

LOL...About a month ago, I stocked up on fuel for the lawn machines. Aboout 7 gallons, at $3.69 a gallon!!!

Comment

move within walking distance of work... wait wait... I already am. I guess I need to force myself to walk even when its 90

Comment

"I just bought a Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat edition. I use this sweet ride for leisure and doing estimates. Gets about 11mpg in the city 15 on the highway. My work van is an '04 e-250 gets about 10 mpg. My wifes ride is an '05 Lincoln Navigator Premier Edition gets about 11 mpg. I love my cars and probably wouldnt give them up unless gas went to $10/gal."

From what I was listening to on the radio today it will be half of that by end of summer!

I worked for Halliburton for years and traveled alot.... One thing that always made me wonder was why our gas is so cheap compaired to the rest of the world... Europe is 7 dollars a gallon ( Though they pay by the liter)...

Comment

If I worked for halliburton for years, I wouldn't be worried about price either.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just got home from Las Vegas and it cost $125 to fill my truck. Sometimes I do that trip a couple of times per week.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

GearJunkie: My point was to express that there is no stopping point in sight for rising US gas prices ( Europe's prices are where we are going and probably higher due to the weak US dollar...)

I know it is tuff trying to make it on an enlisted mans pay ( I did it for 10 years with a wife and three kids) so I understand it is pretty easy to get hung up on money...

Needless to say Halliburton does not pay as much as you think and I am worried about gas prices...
                      Last edited by OkieBill; 06-10-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

Zeljka's mom is coming from Europe in Sept, she is aware fo the trade in value

gas is gas, we just have to tighten it up in other places. material is just as bad now.... crunch, crunch, crunch those numbers!!
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Copper / Brass and even sheetmetal prices are literally changing daily

Not to mention R22 @ $203 per 30lb...

I have had a few customers go into materials price shock already...

Comment

I have a full 20lb tank of 134, is it worth anything?
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

heck i have 2 20 pound tanks of the old r-12, wonder what this is going for these days.
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X