Faucet from ****

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faucet from ****

Garager and others,You have big hearts ,god bless You. Any one upset ,about someone doing a freebe,sorry You didn't have loving parents. Some of Us were blessed
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i had an elderly west indian lady calls me and said her son just put in a new sink and it wasn't draining. i go out and the NEW 2 tub kitchen sink is full of water. i remove the trap a small trickle of water comes out. i reach into the water and find a drain stopper in place. pull it out and the water flows. do the same thing in the other side and the water flows.

button everything back up and explain the stoppers to her. she had NEVER had a sink with basket stoppers. they got pushed down & sealed and the water would not go out.

she was so embarased and i could not charge her.

it felt good to do a good deed and i didn't miss a mortgage payment, or fail to put food on the table, and still got to buy a new amplifier. that whole job would have netted me $75.00 but i took away so much more.

give when you can or feel the need. charge for what you must. don't whine about it. life goes on

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
        i had an elderly west indian lady calls me and said her son just put in a new sink and it wasn't draining. i go out and the NEW 2 tub kitchen sink is full of water. i remove the trap a small trickle of water comes out. i reach into the water and find a drain stopper in place. pull it out and the water flows. do the same thing in the other side and the water flows.

button everything back up and explain the stoppers to her. she had NEVER had a sink with basket stoppers. they got pushed down & sealed and the water would not go out.

she was so embarased and i could not charge her.

it felt good to do a good deed and i didn't miss a mortgage payment, or fail to put food on the table, and still got to buy a new amplifier. that whole job would have netted me $75.00 but i took away so much more.

give when you can or feel the need. charge for what you must. don't whine about it. life goes on

steve
        That kind of thing I usually don't charge for either. I have had a few of those 'embarassing' calls. Like when you simply show up to a 'no water call' and turn a valve or well-pump switch on... OOPS!
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Garager and others,You have big hearts ,god bless You. Any one upset ,about someone doing a freebe,sorry You didn't have loving parents. Some of Us were blessed
          I wasn't upset at all. That was very generous of garager and he is a good man. I was just sharing a different point of view on the subject.

edit: about the parents comment: Yeah, my dad skipped town on me when I was four. Maybe not the best thing to happen, but it made me tough so I don't ask for handouts, I work for my food.
          Last edited by Service Guy; 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

i figure i could have MADE possibly $1,000 more last year if i charged everything for every job i did. the money is less important than knowing i helped someone out that really could not afford (or would be/was embarassed) the work but needed some help.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Sometimes it's good to charge proportionately. For instance, the drain work that Devine did and charged $100.00. You can't continue to go to someone's home and do free work. You can't afford it and they would have no self-respect.
              I have lots of customers who have homes here and in Colorado or North Carolina or Florida and Maine. A lady that I spoke to today spends most of the year at their home in the Virgin Is. They get the full treatment.

A person of lesser means but who have grown children that can help, they usually pay full price.

A senior citizen living only on social insecurity I'll generally do at cost.

Of course, without a financial statement it's sometimes hard to tell.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                Which is why I charge everyone the same price. I don't discriminate.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                  i figure i could have MADE possibly $1,000 more last year if i charged everything for every job i did. the money is less important than knowing i helped someone out that really could not afford (or would be/was embarassed) the work but needed some help.

steve
                  Just thought of one other funny instance. Lady called Sears because her Kenmore dishwasher was leaking. Sears sent out a black service tech, noticed her compression fitting on the bottom of the dishwasher was leaking and told her $50 and she would have to call a plumber. One turn of a wrench and she was back in business. Anyways, got on the phone with Sears and she had her $50 back in no time. Another lady called with a furnace problem. No heat. Another contractor stuck a light bulb in where the fuse was supposed to go and the light bulb just clicked on/off/on/off. Told her that meant that her furnace was bad and she needed another one. Put a fuse in there it purred like a kitten. A water softener salesman from Rainsoft tried to tell a lady she needed $4000 worth of softening equipment, suprised the water wasn't orange, then went down and turned the softener on bypass. About a week later she called me complaining of orange toilets. These are the embarrased stories that stick out in my head.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I just changed out a disposal for this old guy he had holes in his slippers and different colored socks I charged him for the parts labor was free. I just hope he doesn't think he found a sucker the next time but my gut feeling is he was happy and so was I.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Just thought of one other funny instance. Lady called Sears because her Kenmore dishwasher was leaking. Sears sent out a black service tech, noticed her compression fitting on the bottom of the dishwasher was leaking and told her $50 and she would have to call a plumber. One turn of a wrench and she was back in business. Anyways, got on the phone with Sears and she had her $50 back in no time. Another lady called with a furnace problem. No heat. Another contractor stuck a light bulb in where the fuse was supposed to go and the light bulb just clicked on/off/on/off. Told her that meant that her furnace was bad and she needed another one. Put a fuse in there it purred like a kitten.
                      Why did you mention he was black? What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Why did you mention he was black? What does that have to do with anything?
                        In all of my instances the contractors where black. Just seems to me that a lot of them are always trying to screw eachother over. Plus my black customers always tell me I was "Sent" and I always leave with a plate of good food. Barbeque, catfish, greens, etc. Most of them tell me that they would never hire a black guy to work on anything. I guess they just don't trust eachother.
                        Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: q

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          Sometimes it's good to charge proportionately. For instance, the drain work that Devine did and charged $100.00. You can't continue to go to someone's home and do free work. You can't afford it and they would have no self-respect.
                          I have lots of customers who have homes here and in Colorado or North Carolina or Florida and Maine. A lady that I spoke to today spends most of the year at their home in the Virgin Is. They get the full treatment.

A person of lesser means but who have grown children that can help, they usually pay full price.

A senior citizen living only on social insecurity I'll generally do at cost.

Yea, I wouldn't do it again, at least not for a long time, but every once in a while it pays to give back. Except now I have some guy from my church hounding me to help out another member of the congregation for free. I just had to tell him I was too busy and maybe after Christmas. I don't know why but I find myself charging those whom I consider middle class more than my customers I would consider upper class.

Comment

What does "sent" mean?
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              What does "sent" mean?
                              as in heaven-sent, a blessing, an answer to prayer

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                                I just got off the phone with mom and dad to inform them of this, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X