Faucet from ****

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faucet from ****

I sincerely hope that this thread does in NO WAY turn racial. This is not the place for those discussions.

There are good and bad contractors from every race, color and creed in the world.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I wasn't upset at all. That was very generous of garager and he is a good man. I was just sharing a different point of view on the subject.

edit: about the parents comment: Yeah, my dad skipped town on me when I was four. Maybe not the best thing to happen, but it made me tough so I don't ask for handouts, I work for my food.
      Thought I'd elaborate, my dad died when I was 6.
      My mother then took ill and I had to live with my grandmother till I was old enough to get a place myself, I flew the coop at 17, shortly afterwards I joined the military.
      I learned very young that I had to work for what I want.

I don't debate the occasional break for a senior on a fixed income, but I find myself spending vast amounts of wasted time negotiating prices with customers who have much more worldy posessions & assets than I do.
      My thinking is that if your 70 years old and own a $1mil home and are asking me to give you a break because you can't afford it....then sell the home and buy another for one half that price.

If I see a woman who recently lost her husband and has 4 kids, dam right she gets a good discount.
      Old man who lives in a shanty of a house, absolutely..as long as I get litlle more than stock and gas back I'm good.

The trouble here is that so many folks are convinced we really do make more than doctors that they'll resort to some pretty deviant means to convince you they can't afford it.

Two months ago I had a 30 yr old exec with a new $2mil home, recently installed copper gutters & downspouts telling me he was strapped for cash and my price seemed high.

I stood firm on the price, I left there feeling embarrassed that this guy thought I was that stupid.

I get a load of foreigners, often IT, engineers, but mostly computer programmers who come here to work for less than their American counterparts (they take our jobs), then expect me to work for less when they tell me they can't afford it, yet most live in lavish style.

Poor old ladies on fixed incomes, yes they get a break.
      There lies another problem, most still think you're cleanming them out despite the fact that your getting cleaned out.
      Last edited by DuckButter; 06-12-2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        I just got off the phone with mom and dad to inform them of this, thank you!
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Now I see yet another reason why duckbutter and I see things a lot alike.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Hi Service Guy,
            Here's a proposition for you! I understand you're relatively new to the business. Starting out is hard, agreed. Money tight, growing business, paying for advertising, etc. etc. I can understand that you don't and can't right now do freebies for people. Nothin' wrong with that! You can do that later on when you're established and a few bucks here and there don't have the impact. In the meantime, here's the proposition. I do a lot of work with "Rebuilding Together." It is a nationwide program a lot like Habitat for Humanity. Habitat builds new homes for the underpriviledged, while Rebuilding Together does some maintenance, upgrading, remodeling, painting, etc. for elderly and infirm individuals who need to stay in their homes. Now here's the good part -- they screen the applicants to make sure they are needy and are good candidates to benefit from the program. All work is done at no cost to the homeowner. Homeowners children or some other relatives, are expected to work right along with the other volunteers so there is a buy-in from the owners. Once a year, they have "Project Day" where a swarm of volunteers come in and donate their services for a day. Rebuilding needs plumbers to help on that day. Why don't you hook up with Rebuild. Donate a project day's worth of work. Help out, give back, and feel good about what you did. That way, you don't lose any out of pocket money from doing a side type freebie. Your children still get their trip to Six Flags. What do you think? Sound like a deal? YOu won't believe how good you'll feel about yourself afterwards. While I'm associated with it, it's a non-profit, so I don't feel like this post is at odds with the forums' mission.
            Jim Don

Comment

I'm really not interested in charity work. I don't want to get into a philosophical/religious debate about my personal beliefs here. So I'll just leave it at that.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                I get a load of foreigners, often IT, engineers, but mostly computer programmers who come here to work for less than their American counterparts (they take our jobs), then expect me to work for less when they tell me they can't afford it, yet most live in lavish style.
                At least if they are U.S. educated, they probably don't make much less than their American counterparts (if any at all). It may look like that, but that is because they know how to save money (don't spend more than you earn); something lost on most Americans. This is a bit preachy coming from me, because I don't save much money, but I don't spend more than I earn either.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  At least if they are U.S. educated, they probably don't make much less than their American counterparts (if any at all). It may look like that, but that is because they know how to save money (don't spend more than you earn); something lost on most Americans. This is a bit preachy coming from me, because I don't save much money, but I don't spend more than I earn either.
                  This may be inclusive of your immediate experience.
                  There are situations where companies like IBM hire non-citizens as "contractors" at lower rates, who can enter the country and purchase property (a home) while here.

I know a systems admin for a co that designs cad software, he told me they blatently pay $15-$20 K more for American - english speaking programmers.
                  Last edited by DuckButter; 06-12-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    I'm really not interested in charity work. I don't want to get into a philosophical/religious debate about my personal beliefs here. So I'll just leave it at that.
                    I'm not either, however, JimDon is in a better situation.
                    I feel compelled to credit him for that.
                    I cannot afford to, nor can you...but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing to do if you can.

Comment

After reading this thread, I just wanted to say that I watched a tv show about white people and then ate lunch with my black wife and then will go to indian owned 7-11. My point is for those who can't see the sarcasm is that descriptions of a situation is great but some things really aren't revelant.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

To get back on track, I do work for agencies like habitat for humanity and vietnam vet ***. who help those in need. If someone genuinely needs help, I will help them and will only charge enough to cover my expenses. I try to treat people the way I'd want my Mom or Dad to be treated if they were in that boat. Service guy, I totally understand where you're coming from and aren't knocking you one bit.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow, this thread really took off, I like helping people from time to time. My house is paid off and all my vehicles and tools and equipment. I can afford to help from time to time. But I still run my business as a business. I have down sized in the past year, but I will be rebuilding if things go right. Trying to find a new market to get into, my body is having a hard time w/building these days.

I won't comment on the racist stuff, waste of time, don't need to go there. Service guy, I do understand where your coming from. But I'll guarantee, that you'll be do some people a world of good for free, later on. How long later, that depends on you, but you will...

I did get a call from her this afternoon, with a big thank you and thats what it is all about. Will I ever receive 10X more down the road, I seriously doubt that. I have been helped out when I was younger, yes now its my turn. I enjoyed reading all the stories, so if anybody has more, go ahead and post them, this isn't about bragging but sharing.....Mark
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

First off, we are not in the residential market. But there are many out there who know to contact us when there is a real need in the surrounding areas.

With that said, in 2007, I had my guys install 8-10 new split systems(air conditioning and heat) for needy families. I cant begin to tell you how many service calls/repairs we do for free. My only requirement is that I DO NOT want to read about it in the local paper that my company did this or that for some needy family or elderly person on a very tight fixed income (Dont want the vultures coming out).

It does feel good to do those things. We have been blessed to be able to afford to donate the equipment and the labor for these and it feels good. And before anyone brings up tax write-offs. I dont get them. If this person cant afford 4-6 thousand dollars for a A/C replacement, they sure cant afford to get hit with gift tax, so we just eat it and sleep well at night.

We do the same thing on the plumbing side as well. We just try to keep a low profile.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                              First off, we are not in the residential market. But there are many out there who know to contact us when there is a real need in the surrounding areas.

With that said, in 2007, I had my guys install 8-10 new split systems(air conditioning and heat) for needy families. I cant begin to tell you how many service calls/repairs we do for free. My only requirement is that I DO NOT want to read about it in the local paper that my company did this or that for some needy family or elderly person on a very tight fixed income (Dont want the vultures coming out).

It does feel good to do those things. We have been blessed to be able to afford to donate the equipment and the labor for these and it feels good. And before anyone brings up tax write-offs. I dont get them. If this person cant afford 4-6 thousand dollars for a A/C replacement, they sure cant afford to get hit with gift tax, so we just eat it and sleep well at night.

We do the same thing on the plumbing side as well. We just try to keep a low profile.

Regards,
                              Wonderful, I don't do no write offs either, just wouldn't feel right.
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Two times that I recall. Once for a customer that was on oxygen with a full time caregiver there. The other time there was a hospice person in the house with the customer. No charge.

So if I don't charge you something, better have your affairs in order.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X