X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liability Insurance ?

I have noticed quite a few of the commercial contracts that I work with cleaning and maintaining drains are beginning to ask for my liability insurance, and requiring that I get some before doing anymore work. What companies are you guys using? What type of ballpark figure should I anticipate? Is there a good online company or is it best to deal with a local agent?
    Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Liability Insurance ?

I use a local agent. I got a good deal by doing my auto, home and business insurance all through the agent. They give discounts for that kind of thing.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

This is another instance that you may be required to produce a license unless your state does not require licensing for drain cleaning.

I use a local agent and carry 2 mil in general liability. I hear no less than one million is the norm for coverage but that is for a full service plumbing business to include gas line work... Drain cleaning only may be alot less...

The folks asking you for your GL should also tell you what they are looking for as far as coverage...

Comment

I sent you a pm, I got mine through my father in law, who was an agent when I first started.
        Just do a websearch, or yellow pages search for commercial liability...for once I'm actually happy to help you.

Aside from the fact that clients want the insurance, you'd be flat out screwed if something went wrong and a finished interior were ruined.
        Last edited by DuckButter; 06-12-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the PM. That price was about what I was hoping to hear. Thought I might have to sell my drain cleaner. I will find out more tomorrow when I speak to a local agent.

Comment

I don't know about your state but in Calif. you cannot get commercial liability unless your a licensed contractor, period.

Most of our commercial/industrial customers require us to include them as an additionaly insured on our policy. We gladly provide that because our carrier does it for free.

We carry 2mil liability, 1mil auto, 1mil workers comp, plus a 1 year products and completion liability and we top that off with a 1mil umbrella.

Comment

Carry about 2 million.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I pay about $2,000 a year for 2 million.

Comment

I pay $2200 a year for 2 million covers me and up to 2 workers, higher cost for more workers. And it also goes off the gross amount of business in a year and they actually check I am told.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    I pay about $2,000 a year for 2 million.

About the same here.

You figure if you're working in a million dollar home and destroy it....

Between the contents and what expenses are derived from displacement for months while they either buy or build a new one.......there's your other million bucks.

There's a huge multi-million dollar high rise building that went up in Covington Kentucky next to the river center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16923333@N05/2049912515/

Million dollar flats.....they was wanting me to put in a high-end filtration system that voids the warranty if you try to use all brass components.....as the cheap *** plastic ones are not something you install in a building like above.

Told her straight up, "Ma'am......I appreciate the business but I have 2 million dollars of coverage and I'm not going to risk going over that just because the filtration system you want isn't exactly "safe" for my liking.

Have a nice day!"
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Our Insurance Cost Us about $4,000 a year But we also have full coverage on our four vehicles and certain riders for some of our bigger tools. In Ohio we also have to show proof of insurance in order to get our state plumbing license

Comment

mine is also 2 mil.

it also includes coverage for home owners associations. this allows me to work for the building and common areas.
                        this is not easy or cheap as lots of carriers no longer offer it.

class action law suits and mold claims have made it harder and more expensive to get.

you also need to read all the exclusions. meaning you really need a lawyer to figure it all out as there is wording that is meant to confuse.
                        50 pages of mubo jumbo is not as simple as you think.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Yea I don't have that though it seems simple I wonder why home owners associations are excluded?
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            meaning you really need a lawyer to figure it all out as there is wording that is meant to confuse.
                            50 pages of mubo jumbo is not as simple as you think.

rick.
                            So you need me AND my family
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Got a little policy. Only just over 600 for a 1/2 million. I don't see any instances of needing more than that just doing drain cleaning, especially if you see most of the houses I'm in. 500K could buy them a whole community of houses like they are living in.

Comment

Working...
                              X