X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They save more lives than the local Hospital

30 minutes to go and the SF plumbing inspector is due for final. toilet supply 1" short!!!!
    Shoot down to little hardware store, Saved, God bless Them. Can't count the times, these little stores have saved My life.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: They save more lives than the local Hospital

We have a local hardware store that my mom grew up with one generation and Rick grew up with the next.

We walk there on Sundays and play with them.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Agree! The small hardware stores where I am charge more than the big box. No secret there. But they're helpful, knowledgeable, closer (GAS!), and owned locally.

Support your local hardware when you can. They'll support you too.

J.C.

Comment

The owners of my local mom and pop have given me own set of keys. I let myself in, write down what I take, and they bill me at the end of the month. What a blessing this has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
          The owners of my local mom and pop have given me own set of keys. I let myself in, write down what I take, and they bill me at the end of the month. What a blessing this has been.
          That's pretty cool. I doubt that happens much in the times we live in. There are so many thieves and with the prices of corn and fuel going up I bet we'll see more.Being as we are such a small shop and so busy we use our local hardware shops a lot in between restocks and when we are in a pinch.

Comment

There are 2 of these that are minutes away from where I used to live, always seem to have what you need, from the usual to the obscure. I can remember my dad wanting to buy a pump (plunger seal?) leather to try and refurbish an old manual well pump, he thought he was going to have to have my uncle in IA track one down for him, but the local ma/pa hardware had several, including the right size.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
              joey gets to work the register and i get to refill the vending machines.

i know what junk food sells and joey knows how to spend money

today they had the stems i needed that none of the supply houses stock.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

We have a local hardware store that works great when looking for an oddball item. I have takin in old faucet stems that the have removed broken screws from, greased and polished up . put new screw and washer on it and only charg me like 30 cents for the screw and washer. like you said the local hardware stores are great and I hope they dont end up closing down because of the home depots and lowes in the area

Comment

there was a small store on long island that i knew the owners and if i stopped in and they were busy i helped them out and some times it was for hrs and i never took pay from them .but when i went in to get some thing they would not take my money and i never took advantage of this ,

i think i still have a lot of credit built up there 20yrs later
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

i went to HD and got some round up weed killer and paid 18$ or so then went to the local hardware store to get some thing and the same size round up was 34$
                    there ore some things the big store is still good for
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In the town I grew up in we had a local hardware store, Named Dentons Hardware. Owned by you guessed it, old man Denton. This guy was one smart cookie. Since he opened his store at the same time all the area development was going on he made it a point to go to every housing and commercial project and inventory what was being installed. From screen doors to toilets. Hindges to garage door openers. Everything. He then stocked his store with items he figured people would need to replace.

Years later if you had a roller go out on a screen door you knew you could walk into Denton's hand him the part and he come out of the back with a brand new one.

Builders Emporium out here on the west coast was the first true Big Box. They opened up about a mile down the same street as Dentons. There sales were so bad after a couple of years they closed the place. They just could not compete with Denton's. It was only after HD opened that the place went out of business.

We have an ACE hardware around the corner from the office. The only time we go in their is because they have the largest selection of nuts/bolts/fasteners I have ever seen. We use alot of stainless steel nuts, bolts in our business. Great to know we can zip in and out and get what we need as opposed to ordering it.

For everything else, you need a high limit credit check to buy there.

Comment

Working...
                      X