X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding rule

A while ago we were discussing layout for 45 deg. angle.A folding rule was mentioned.I have looked to some of the old time fitters on a couple of my jobs to no avail.

Can anyone explain how to use the folding rule for this application.

I'm always looking to improve.

Thanks
    Adam

Re: Folding rule

can u be a bit more specific. are you referring too the pythagorium theorum (a squared + b squared = c squared) of a right triangle to ensure squareness?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The Plumbers Rule. Not a Mason's or Carpenters Rule.

J.C.

Comment

Hi Adam.as a carpenter that used to cut hip roofs,a simple trick. draw a 1 ft square. Measure corner to corner,It's Very close to 17". Actually it's 16.97" to be exact. 2 ft'=34' 3ft. square is 51" ect. Hope in some way this helps. Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          can u be a bit more specific. are you referring too the pythagorium theorum (a squared + b squared = c squared) of a right triangle to ensure squareness?
          to check square on layout(ditches,walls etc.) I use 3,4,5 and multiples of them 6,8,10-9,12,15 and so on.

I use 1.41 to figure hypotenuse of offset.

I have heard that some use a folding rule to help when measuring a 45 or determining a true 45.

Sorry I'm not sure how to explain better

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            The Plumbers Rule. Not a Mason's or Carpenters Rule.

J.C.
            Or pipefitters.

Stoke...Spyder?

Comment

Lufkin 626L model.

J.C.

Comment

adam, i just about lost it at the roundup, propress maze when i saw a folding rule sitting there to use.

with cracks time, i think he actually used it

i think i have one buried under 20 years of stuff

rick
                phoebe it is

Comment

sorry i need more pork on the fork

Comment

This is done with a folding rule:

Step 1: Open up the rule so that the 1" mark is to your left and the 24" mark is to your right. You will use only the first 4 sections of the rule.

Step 2: Moving only the first two sections of the rule, swith the upper corner of the tip of the rule up and over until the tip lines up with the lower edge of the 20 1/4" mark on the 4th section of the rule. You have made a right triangle between the 1st and 2nd sections of the rule

Step 3: Make sure the 3rd and 4th sections are straight. Note that the 90 degree angle is on the exterior of the triangle, not inside the 1st and 2nd sections.

Step 4 While holding the corner of the 1st section in place against tthe 20 1/4" mark, you can place the triangle near the obstruction to visualize the rest.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      to check square on layout(ditches,walls etc.) I use 3,4,5 and multiples of them 6,8,10-9,12,15 and so on.

I use 1.41 to figure hypotenuse of offset.

I have heard that some use a folding rule to help when measuring a 45 or determining a true 45.

Sorry I'm not sure how to explain better
                      I learned the 3,4,5 rule from an old carpenter when I was in my teens...thought nobody knew that trick.

Also, the 1.41 gives you a 45 degree cross sectional distance, but you really need to be accurate from center to center on the fitting, and that can be very tricky.

Comment

For a brief period, I used a rule almost exclusively, problem is I broke them faster than I could buy 'em.
                        I think Ridgid makes a more flexible plastic (yelloow) rule, but I managed to break a few of them too...finally I just went to tape.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          For a brief period, I used a rule almost exclusively, problem is I broke them faster than I could buy 'em.
                          I think Ridgid makes a more flexible plastic (yelloow) rule, but I managed to break a few of them too...finally I just went to tape.
                          So you used one on a regular basis?
                          Do you think I should have one in my "BUCKET" anyway?
                          Sometimes when I'm all twisted up sideways and down in a soffit or drop cieling it's hard to shoot a reasonable close visual 45.Are they an advantage especially on cast waste?
                          Copper's not as hard to get as the fittings set on the pipe in the sockets.

Comment

I don't see how the folding rule trick would help with cast but not copper,why would you need a visual aid to see where a 45 would end up anyway?...The math will tell you exactly.

And also...not trying to be a smart *** here,but whats so tricky about getting center to center measurements?

Comment

I do not practice my math on a regular basis.Pretty much an idiot because I was not taught.The non union sector out here knows a lot less than I have taught myself to date.
                              You are not a smart ***.I would like to be more capable with my math.It would make me more efficient.I think NHM suggested a book on plumbing math.Do you have any suggestions for reading/reference for those of us on the forum who did not have the option to go to the unions classes.

I know PHCC offers classes.I might even pay to go if they had something for math only.
                              I already know how to solder

I've ran jobs where we were mandated to use union guys.
                              Last edited by drtyhands; 06-13-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X