X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Your Insurance?

So the building I've been working on is possessed.Actually not,The developer is a cheap S.O.B.

This is one of Utah's buildings he's an expert witness on for the "Green Hair Syndrome"

Anyway...
    The firesprinkler company has been doing all the improvements in the units as the tenants do their individual buildouts.

Three weeks ago they flooded on the tenth floor so bad it ended up doing major damage all the way down and included the multi-million dollar lobby.To refresh your memory the lower end units go for 4 million bucks,our 23 floor penthouse went for 8.9 million as a shell.

They have something that looks like it belongs in a movie about an anthrax attack in the lobby with all the heavy plastic they got hanging(mold freaks).

The elevator company was using our suite to overhaul the unit."Nothing likes water" the mechanic said.Bearings,sensors,switches computer boards.He told me wait till next week when we have to pull new cables.
    The shaft has been contaminated with soaking water and won't stop condensing.You can see the smallest bolt is gathering rust.

Can you imagine how many heavy hitting lawers live in this building.I'll bet they don't get out of bed for anything under $10,000,000.

I don't think my two million dollar policy could come close to touching what this guy is up against.

Re: How's Your Insurance?

Ouch.

I for one like to stick to the small stuff.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

No lie, not exaggerating...I WILL have a nightmare about this.
      I just increased my policy to $2mil 8 months ago.
      Whoever gets hit with this is done if his policy isn't huge.
      I wouldn't so much as bid a job if I didn't have a policy big enough to refinish everything under my work.
      This is why the "beloved" NYC fella everyone hated used to mention he charged $1K per roof drain on a high-rise...one small dribble and there goes a $10 mil computer mainframe.

Comment

I stop at 3 million.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

wow does he use cheep labor

what went wrong
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Ouch.

I for one like to stick to the small stuff.
            Me 2.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What happened?

I can't stand working around people that have moved in.

I understand that's how the cookie crumbles though.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                wow does he use cheep labor

what went wrong
                It was actually the Foreman who stayed back in the building after it was completed to do all the improvements for the tenants buildouts.You know,they want to move walls,ceilings etc..Anyway,he fired up one of the units at 3:00,watched it for a while while he was rolling up,then went home.At 6:00 a 1"CPVC(the whole building is done in it)blew.

It's scarry that he had mentioned to me ealier before the leak how you really have to watch the glue cause it coagulates so quikly if the lid is left off.

Upon inspection of the fitting one could see where the solvent had penetrated only a part of the pipe.When it blew it only took that part of pipe with the fitting.The rest of the joint was glue only.

So now we have another example of how much it takes to keep our butts covered.

Comment

Did this pass the pressure test/inspection? If so, who pays? The plumber, pipe manufacturer, fitting manufacturer, glue company?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Did this pass the pressure test/inspection? If so, who pays? The plumber, pipe manufacturer, fitting manufacturer, glue company?

J.C.
                    It should go to the contractor first.Then the insurance companies go down the pyramid to try to retrieve anything they can get.

A contractor friend of mine got sued for a pinhole in a drop-eared 90 for a shower head that was never put under pressure before drywall.The insurance companies finally got the manufacture to take responsiblity but it still marked my friend as a liability.

Sorry,Pressure test was only turning on to building supply
                    Last edited by drtyhands; 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                      I stop at 3 million.
                      I have 2 mil. andI THINK I NEED MORE.

Comment

adam and i had lunch together the other day. he wrapped up early and i was down the street at my project.

adam showed up just in time as i was about to scale down a column 20' to inspect a deck drain line.

well before i suckered adam into the column, we went for lunch.

2 double, doubles, fries, soda, and shake and that was just for adam

anyways, adam scaled the column, took photos and came back all dirty

adam what's your deductible

you left my new gloves in the ceiling or column

hope you can cover the replacement cost $1.08

morrow of the story, even your friends can sue you

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

My Insurance Is only 1 mil and we dont do the larger jobs like that. But if I was going to do a larger job like that I would call up my Insurance agent and get a rider on my policy first or a bond that would cover any possible damage. If I couldnt charge that back to the customer I wouldnt take on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            adam and i had lunch together the other day. he wrapped up early and i was down the street at my project.

adam showed up just in time as i was about to scale down a column 20' to inspect a deck drain line.

well before i suckered adam into the column, we went for lunch.

2 double, doubles, fries, soda, and shake and that was just for adam

anyways, adam scaled the column, took photos and came back all dirty

adam what's your deductible

you left my new gloves in the ceiling or column

hope you can cover the replacement cost $1.08

morrow of the story, even your friends can sue you

rick.
                            rick is why when your shorts were wet at the park and you were getting diaper rash i asked if you wanted to use my extra bathing suit you said no .that way i could sue you if you did some thing to them
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                            X