Get A Lawyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get A Lawyer

There is an ad that ran during the nascar race in kentucky tonight..

I've seen this before during the events regarding a home and garden show in my area..

It's a handyman showing/implying new faucets and sinks being installed, referring to the product as they replace it.

Now....in my area....you're not supposed to touch a replacement...only repair if you are not a licensed plumber.

I'm sure the guy will get away with it because no one will complain to make it stop.

I'd say he's doing the work of a plumber....implying as a handyman that he's surely cheaper.

Should someone rain on his parade.....just like dirtyhands wants to do?

I say yes.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I know the limitations of my license.

Is there anything I can research to define the tasks permited to a handyman?
      2. Who must be licensed as a contractor?All businesses or individuals who construct or alter, or offer to construct or alter, any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and materials) of one or more contracts on the project is $500 or more. Contractors, including subcontractors, specialty contractors, and persons engaged in the business of home improvement (with the exception of joint ventures and projects involving federal funding) must be licensed before submitting bids. Licenses may be issued to individuals, partnerships, corporations, or joint ventures. The CSLB does not issue licenses to Limited Liability Companies (LLCs).
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is going to be a bigger and bigger problem with the slowdown in new construction.
        Laborers, subs and inexperienced hacks migrating to any work they can find.
        The end result is heartbreaking for homeowners and degrading to the trades.

Comment

What is hell is a "handy man" anyway. To me it's just a way to get around being licensed. Why can these fools do wiring, plumbing, carpentry, masonary, etc without having a license? They should all be rounded up and prosecuted.

Handy man my ***. More like cheap-o hack
          sigpic

Comment

I know the limitations of my license.

Is there anything I can research to define the tasks permited to a handyman?
            I might talk to my insurance agent to see his view. If he won't insure it it would be a good time to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
              I might talk to my insurance agent to see his view. If he won't insure it it would be a good time to know.
              I thought about calling mine.But what would he know about Homeowners Ins.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

thanks rick you did this to me
                charlie, it's the pink monkey that did you in.

can't even recognize you from the front view

rick.

you can thank jake, as he took the photos.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  charlie, it's the pink monkey that did you in.

can't even recognize you from the front view

rick.

you can thank jake, as he took the photos.
                  i dont want to hijack this thread but i did not give him permission to use that photo

but i do look cute dont i i did see some girls say i looked cool

take this back to the other thread
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Now that the stupid pill has worn off I get it.

$500.00 is the magic number in CALIF. If he does any work that equals more then that he us violation of CA. State Contractor law, (as been said prior) Oh, and $500.00 is not a total for one job. For example Woody the Wing Nut Mechanic comes in to replace 30' of wood fence, for $430.00 and the owner says hey my Garbage disposal is on the fritz. Another $175.00 later. Guess what Woody is now in violation of state law.
                    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

500? I thought it was $600...
                      my personal opinion, it should be lowered to $150.00, but it would have to be inforced......thats the other problem, no one cares enough.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post

$500.00 is the magic number in CALIF. If he does any work that equals more then that he us violation of CA. State Contractor law, (as been said prior) Oh, and $500.00 is not a total for one jumb. For example Woody the Wing Nut Mechanic comes in to replace 30' of wood fence, for $430.00 and the owner says hey my Garbage disposal is on the fritz. Another $175.00 later. Guess what Woody is now in violation of state law.
                        Is that per day?
                        What if he invoices separately?

Comment

Is that per day?

I believe that is per job.
                          The Other Rick

Comment

Is that per day?

This should answer your questions.

When you read the first paragraph they make a point of using the word project. That means any work performed at that project.l The only loop hole would be if a guy put up a fence one week for $430.00 at homeowner #1 When he was done he down the street to work on homeowner #2's property. When he was done that project homeowner #1 had him come back. If the work is consecutive at one property the CSLB see's that as a license requirement when the total amount of labor and materials exceeds $500.00.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Rep...orActivity.asp
                            Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-16-2008, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post

$500.00 is the magic number in CALIF. If he does any work that equals more then that he us violation of CA. State Contractor law, (as been said prior) Oh, and $500.00 is not a total for one job. For example Woody the Wing Nut Mechanic comes in to replace 30' of wood fence, for $430.00 and the owner says hey my Garbage disposal is on the fritz. Another $175.00 later. Guess what Woody is now in violation of state law.
                              Just like the loophole fopr GC's where they can do up to 3 trades on one job, I imagine handymen can just have customers break up larger jobs into smaller pieces and call them seperate jobs.
                              I really think Cali needs to ask the pro's when they impliment laws like this...seems like too many pencil pushers call the shots.

Comment

Note to self: Read all posts before commenting...I see you guys pretty much just said the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X