X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get A Lawyer

I'm not sure even a lawyer can do anything.

So today I'm going to complete a charity project a couple of contractors,one concrete the other landscaping,we are doing for our organization.

We started it early spring and haven't been able to get back together to finish up.In the interim a person who is trying to make a living has taken residence on the property.There are approximately 600 people in this organization that gathers weekly on this said property.So it is some great exposure for this person to do some handywork.

My concern is.
    1.He is not licensed.
    2.Voicemail greeting announces "Such and Such-Properties"
    3.Stated to me he started the company and says "It has insurance"

Is it possible for an unlicensed entity to get insurance to cover their work,i.e. water or fire damage?
    Does a homeowner's insurance cover his work if the homeowner allows him to alter plumbing or electrical,causing flood or fire?

I've seen the quality of work and it is typical of what we have all seen here on the forum,"Lick and Stick Construction".No way would it pass city scrutiny.

Big deal if a flat 20' 1-1/2" with no vent washing mashing drain backs up.It is an inconvienience the homeowner pays for it in P.I.T.A.If the concrete is uneven,doors are crooked or paint on the carpet,no one gets hurt and there is no reason for a claim.

But if the is damage or harm in need of one?

What is going to happen to the nieve people who allow him to work on their homes when he screws up big time?

Re: Get A Lawyer

I must have taken a stupid pill this morning. I read, read twice and then read a third time your post and it did not make any sence to me. I am a little at loss, could you detail it a little more so I can fully understand the orginization, the property, everyone's involvement. Thanks

Comment

I believe I understand what is going on. If I am reading it right Adam belongs to a para-military group which is building a secret compound in the mountains above Santa Barbara. One of the individuals who is working on the project is an unlicensed contractor and has taken up residence on the compound. Now the 600 members of Adam's dooms-day militia group are starting to interact with the unlicensed contractor and Adam is worried they will start hiring this unscroupulous individual. As far as Adam's concerns regarding the home owners insurance I believe the home owners insurance will cover flood or fire but will not cover the fact the work does not preform or the fact that it looks like heck. After the fact if there was a flood the insurance company would pay the damage and then file a subrogation against the unlicensed contractor.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I believe I understand what is going on. If I am reading it right Adam belongs to a para-military group which is building a secret compound in the mountains above Santa Barbra. One of the individuals who is working on the project is an unlicensed contractor and has taken up residence on the compound. Now the 600 members of Adam's dooms-day militia group are starting to interact with the unlicensed contractor and Adam is worried they will start hiring this unscroupulous individual. As far as Adam's concerns regarding the home owners insurance I believe the home owners insurance will cover flood or fire but will not cover the fact the work does not preform or the fact that it looks like heck. After the fact if there was a flood the insurance company would pay the damage and then file a subrogation against the unlicensed contractor.

Mark
        Adam can i join
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

lol................what the F?!

Nice avatar Hawk!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I believe I understand what is going on. If I am reading it right Adam belongs to a para-military group which is building a secret compound in the mountains above Santa Barbara. One of the individuals who is working on the project is an unlicensed contractor and has taken up residence on the compound. Now the 600 members of Adam's dooms-day militia group are starting to interact with the unlicensed contractor and Adam is worried they will start hiring this unscroupulous individual. As far as Adam's concerns regarding the home owners insurance I believe the home owners insurance will cover flood or fire but will not cover the fact the work does not preform or the fact that it looks like heck. After the fact if there was a flood the insurance company would pay the damage and then file a subrogation against the unlicensed contractor.

Mark
            that was awesome

Comment

sounds like another Cult thing???
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                lol................what the F?!

Nice avatar Hawk!
                thanks i will have to take of picture of my van and use it like some others
                Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM.
                Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                  I must have taken a stupid pill this morning. I read, read twice and then read a third time your post and it did not make any sence to me. I am a little at loss, could you detail it a little more so I can fully understand the orginization, the property, everyone's involvement. Thanks
                  You did not take any pill.It's just the way I post.All over the place.You're not the only one frustrated with reading my posts.

To simplify:

A guy is telling people he does not need a contractors license to do their work.He says his company is insured.

Can he be insured as a handyman?

Will the homeowners insurance cover fire/flood.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    sounds like another Cult thing???
                    Close

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      Adam can i join
                      Sorry Hawk,
                      You're a great guy.We had a lot of laughs in Ohio.
                      Unfortunately your BACKGROUND is tainted
                      I'm thinking this group frowns on certain preferences of this nature.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        You did not take any pill.It's just the way I post.All over the place.You're not the only one frustrated with reading my posts.

To simplify:

A guy is telling people he does not need a contractors license to do their work.He says his company is insured.

Can he be insured as a handyman?

Will the homeowners insurance cover fire/flood.
                        He can be insured as a handyman but then he must work as a handyman. If he is representing himself as a licensed contractor the insurance company can deny a claim. However, the owners home owners policy should still pay for covered repairs and then file a subrogation against the unlicensed contractor.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Sorry Hawk,
                          You're a great guy.We had a lot of laughs in Ohio.
                          Unfortunately your BACKGROUND is tainted
                          I'm thinking this group frowns on certain preferences of this nature.

Adam

thanks rick you did this to me
                          Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

I know the limitations of my license.

Is there anything I can research to define the tasks permited to a handyman?

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

thanks rick you did this to me
                              But he'll never have anything like Rosie

Comment

Working...
                              X