X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While you're here.....

Went to look at someones pump today to adjust/replace/repair. As I was getting some gear out the nice lady says, "

While you're here will you look at my toilet in the master bath. My husband fiddled with it and made it worse. And now that I think about it, check the other one too. Also, one of the faucets is leaking. Could you repair that? And the back hosebibb has a drip. You have one of those on the truck don't you? One more thing, I saw some water under the kitchen sink. Take care of that while you're at it. Thanks!"

Anyone else have a 'While You're Here' day?

J.C.

Re: While you're here.....

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Went to look at someones pump today to adjust/replace/repair. As I was getting some gear out the nice lady says, "

While you're here will you look at my toilet in the master bath. My husband fiddled with it and made it worse. And now that I think about it, check the other one too. Also, one of the faucets is leaking. Could you repair that? And the back hosebibb has a drip. You have one of those on the truck don't you? One more thing, I saw some water under the kitchen sink. Take care of that while you're at it. Thanks!"

Anyone else have a 'While You're Here' day?

J.C.
    LOL-Yes and they always seems to happen on the days where you squeezed them in to begin with.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is classic!

I have had days in years past where the first service call is the only service call on the books for that day.

All of the sudden a "while you are in the neighborhood" happened.

I spent the whole day there and only moved the truck 20 ft.

NICE!!!
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Happened to me today. Went to unclog a toilet and as I handed the customer my card, she also saw I did hvac and had me do a maintance service on her unit. Good thing too, she hasn't changed her filter in over a year.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Happens to me all the time and it usually seems to be the same people who do it to me. Usually I will try to schedule some extra time for these customers. But If it is a new one and you are fairly well booked that day I will tell tham that I will have to order a part or something that will enable me to reschedule the other repairs for a later time but I wont bill them untill all the jobs are complete. They usually seem OK with this.

Comment

Those kind of calls paid for my bass boat.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Those kind of calls paid for my bass boat.

did you say we are going fishing
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I love "while you're here's" They are the best money-makers. More work at one house equals less downtime and less gas. It saves the customer money too.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

How 'bout the ones that have you spend a half hour looking at 50 different little things, you give 'em a price and they say..."I can't afford that!".

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    How 'bout the ones that have you spend a half hour looking at 50 different little things, you give 'em a price and they say..."I can't afford that!".
                    I give them an item by item breakdown. That way they can pick and choose which repairs to do or not. The other day I had a kitchen drain-stoppage, kitchen faucet replacement, lavatory faucet rebuild and a kitchen drain repair....I started on the drain stoppage, while 'she thought about it' and she ended up doing ALL the work since I brought in the faucet for her to look at and reminded her that I take credit cards!....(I have to be a plumber AND a salesman! )
                    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      reminded her that I take credit cards!....(I have to be a plumber AND a salesman! )
                      Without the CC processing I couldn't imagine that you could do very well at upselling things like that. Not because of people not being able to afford it, but you need so little cash these days that you aren't going to have lots of it just around the house. My personal threshold is $200 or so in cash, but without advance notice I need to write you a check or pull out the plastic. Probably helps a bunch with emergency calls too.

Comment

Around 85% of my customers pay by check. The other 10% credit card and maybe 5% or less cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          Around 85% of my customers pay by check. The other 10% credit card and maybe 5% or less cash.
                          Hmmmm, about half of my customers just go in their bedroom and get the cash. The other half will write a check. I have never taken a credit card.
                          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

^

Comment

you never know what lurks behind door #1 pennies from heaven or the mother lode herself, and as someone said always seems to happen when you have too much to do and too little time, but these days ill make the time dont want to lose anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X