Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad 1" Copper tee.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Holy $hit!! Did you apply heat to the fitting befor you tried to take it apart?
    LOL...thought the same thing as soon as I saw how mangled it is.

    Point is you can see a strip of solder that runs around a small strip at the center of the hub where the pre-soldered ring was in that crappy fitting...the bone head that did the soldering in the first place never added solder...probably skipped the flux too.
    Watts is disappointing me of late...they make these fittings for HD, as well as those stupid flood safe feeds.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

      I effin hate those flood safe hoses

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        LOL...thought the same thing as soon as I saw how mangled it is.

        Point is you can see a strip of solder that runs around a small strip at the center of the hub where the pre-soldered ring was in that crappy fitting...the bone head that did the soldering in the first place never added solder...probably skipped the flux too.
        Watts is disappointing me of late...they make these fittings for HD, as well as those stupid flood safe feeds.
        I cut the sucker in half, then gave it the ridgid pipe vise crush. I can see exactly where the leak started. This was a job done by the previous owner, before they moved.

        Kind of weird...I could almost picture it before I saw it.

        I was at the call for two hours. Everything looked good when I finished. Get this...the guys realtor paid the bill, after the closing. I did a special price for her, with hopes for referrals in the future. I also picked up a battery backup appointment from a neighbor who was observing me last night on the initial call. The guy that bought the house plays for "Da Bears." So I got his autograph on the receipt...LOL
        Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 06-21-2008, 10:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

          Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          I effin hate those flood safe hoses
          I love this forum...Right there with me step for step.
          Just ripped them out of my organizations sanctuary today.

          Boy handymen make me look good.For the record...
          Thanks

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

            i have had to destroy some fittings to get them off at times

            if i cant get it off the first time i cut it out and use some couplings
            Charlie

            My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


            http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

            new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

              Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              I got a call from my wifes friend explaining their new neighbor closed on his house today, and a fitting sprung a leak in the basement.

              It turns out it was a 1x3/4x1 tee, some water softener person installed. Some of the fittings they used were the ones with the flux and solder built in. Anyway, I drained the system thru the water softener (which was installed poorly) and I had to sweat that fitting 4x before it would not leak! The last try, I brushed it with a fitting brush, and it did the trick. I am going back tomorrow to cut it out and give him a warranty. His realtor is picking up the tab, so I am going to ask to redo the softener issues as well. But I have to call her first.

              I wish I could have rebuilt the whole thing tonight...as of now, I dont carry a huge assortment of 1" fittings, and the work kept growing, and I did not want to get in the middle of "who approved this bill" kind of thing.
              Oh well...just want to make the customer happy.
              Question - Would the propress system been a good fit for this application?
              spodelee

              Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                I do not own one. Not legal currently in NC. However, I think the right answer is yes. You can crimp/connect the ProPress fittings with the water in the line. Possibly with the water moving through the line with some flow.

                PlumberRick owns several. He'll give you better answers.

                P.S. Thanks for getting the forum moving back to Professional Plumbing.

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                  Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I do not own one. Not legal currently in NC. However, I think the right answer is yes. You can crimp/connect the ProPress fittings with the water in the line. Possibly with the water moving through the line with some flow.

                  That is true, I still don't care for it though. We used Pro Press to hook up water lines to machinery, we have to go back every other month and re-press the joints because they work loose and leak. This winter when they shut the plant down for a few days we will be ripping all the Pro Press out and installing conventional copper water lines.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                    It's harder to unsolder fittings with the newer solder than back when we used 50/50, but most of the time you can still do it. Just every now and then you get a fitting that somebody probably had to hammer it in or something, or cut w/a dull blade or saw, or who knows? Any solder joint but a brand new one that leaks probably is like that inside, not cleaned all the way or fluxed or something. Guys do hundreds a day, get sloppy. And then there's dyi's and wannabe's...
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                      Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                      That is true, I still don't care for it though. We used Pro Press to hook up water lines to machinery, we have to go back every other month and re-press the joints because they work loose and leak. This winter when they shut the plant down for a few days we will be ripping all the Pro Press out and installing conventional copper water lines.
                      What kind of machinery is this? Repressing solves the leaking, at least temporarily?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        What kind of machinery is this? Repressing solves the leaking, at least temporarily?
                        Printing presses, monstrous printing presses, Yes the repress works for a short amount of time, but it is all we can do since the machines run 24-7.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                          Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          What kind of machinery is this? Repressing solves the leaking, at least temporarily?
                          Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                          Printing presses, monstrous printing presses, Yes the repress works for a short amount of time, but it is all we can do since the machines run 24-7.
                          Interesting - Is there a vibration in the pipe?
                          spodelee

                          Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                            Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                            Printing presses, monstrous printing presses, Yes the repress works for a short amount of time, but it is all we can do since the machines run 24-7.
                            I found this interesting as well. I thought the crimping process kept the pipe together but the o ring provided the seal. These presses don't have vibration isolators?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                              Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                              Interesting - Is there a vibration in the pipe?
                              These presses are twice as long as a football field, the entire building vibrates.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

                                Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                                Question - Would the propress system been a good fit for this application?
                                Yes!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X