X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad 1" Copper tee.

I got a call from my wifes friend explaining their new neighbor closed on his house today, and a fitting sprung a leak in the basement.

It turns out it was a 1x3/4x1 tee, some water softener person installed. Some of the fittings they used were the ones with the flux and solder built in. Anyway, I drained the system thru the water softener (which was installed poorly) and I had to sweat that fitting 4x before it would not leak! The last try, I brushed it with a fitting brush, and it did the trick. I am going back tomorrow to cut it out and give him a warranty. His realtor is picking up the tab, so I am going to ask to redo the softener issues as well. But I have to call her first.

I wish I could have rebuilt the whole thing tonight...as of now, I dont carry a huge assortment of 1" fittings, and the work kept growing, and I did not want to get in the middle of "who approved this bill" kind of thing.
    Oh well...just want to make the customer happy.

Re: Bad 1" Copper tee.

Not quite getting what you're saying about the T. Is it the type of T with the flux/solder already built in? If not and you finally got it to take solder and it is not leaking, how is it bad? Do you believe it to be out of specifications? Softener guys suck with their Qest fittings. Seems like they would at least give them a pair of pex crimpers. Nothing like four or more Qest fittings in a nice copper/pex water system. Definitely the weakest link.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      Not quite getting what you're saying about the T. Is it the type of T with the flux/solder already built in? If not and you finally got it to take solder and it is not leaking, how is it bad? Do you believe it to be out of specifications? Softener guys suck with their Qest fittings. Seems like they would at least give them a pair of pex crimpers. Nothing like four or more Qest fittings in a nice copper/pex water system. Definitely the weakest link.

Well, thats the difference between you and NIP. Your the guy that takes shortcuts (no license, no insurance, no bond), that will put a bandaid on a job, collect your money, and hit the road. NIP has gone to the trouble of working for his license, paying for insurance and a bond. He didn't have the right materials to do the job right, so he did a temporary fix to make the plumbing functional and returned to the job with the right material and did the job right. If he doesn't feel good about the job he did, how is the homeowner going to feel about it. Its called having pride in what you do, having integrity, and doing the right thing.

Hack, Hack, Hackkity, Hack
      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
        Well, thats the difference between you and NIP. Your the guy that takes shortcuts (no license, no insurance, no bond), that will put a bandaid on a job, collect your money, and hit the road. NIP has gone to the trouble of working for his license, paying for insurance and a bond. He didn't have the right materials to do the job right, so he did a temporary fix to make the plumbing functional and returned to the job with the right material and did the job right. If he doesn't feel good about the job he did, how is the homeowner going to feel about it. Its called having pride in what you do, having integrity, and doing the right thing.

Hack, Hack, Hackkity, Hack
        That is a load of crap. I just have never seen a bad fitting. Is it not made out of Cu, the same copper that is found on the periodic table. I have seen fittings bent, cracked, or just in general bad shape where I would not use them. But a fitting that is made out of copper that will not solder properly? Sounds like operator error to me. I am amazed that he did not just completely remove the T and use a fitting brush the first time, being the professional that he is. I would never put a temporary fix on anything. If I did not feel safe about a fitting, I would tell them to deal with no water and that I would be back in the morning. What if that "temporary" fitting floods the house overnight, while his customers are sound asleep, feeling confident in the fact that they have hired a professional. It is either done right or not done at all, no room for temporary in this business. Leaving your customers without water overnight, maybe a slight inconvenience, but that is called pride, integrity, and doing the right thing. The customer knows that you care enough about them and their home to not slap something together and hope it will hold until the morning. If I am turning the water back on to a customers home, they can be assured that there will be zero problems with everything I've touched, for a lot longer than overnight.
        Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-21-2008, 09:32 AM.

Comment

A bad original sweat job on the fitting. I had problems getting solder in it to seal. The softener supply lines were to long going into the bypass valve. In order to hook it up, you had to push down on the softener ports, then push it in. This will put stress on the computer board and the rest of the parts.
          My only solution is to cut the fitting out, and replace with new. Then shorten the lines to the softener, so they go together correctly and do not put stress on the plastic components.

I just spoke with the realtor, she was going to call the seller and find out if there is a warranty regarding the install.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            That is a load of crap. I just have never seen a bad fitting. Is it not made out of Cu, the same copper that is found on the periodic table. I have seen fittings bent, cracked, or just in general bad shape where I would not use them. But a fitting that is made out of copper that will not solder properly? Sounds like operator error to me. I am amazed that he did not just completely remove the T and use a fitting brush the first time, being the professional that he is. I would never put a temporary fix on anything. If I did not feel safe about a fitting, I would tell them to deal with no water and that I would be back in the morning. What if that "temporary" fitting floods the house overnight, while his customers are sound asleep, feeling confident in the fact that they have hired a professional. It is either done right or not done at all, no room for temporary in this business. Leaving your customers without water overnight, maybe a slight inconvenience, but that is called pride, integrity, and doing the right thing. The customer knows that you care enough about them and their home to not slap something together and hope it will hold until the morning. If I am turning the water back on to a customers home, they can be assured that there will be zero problems with everything I've touched, for a lot longer than overnight.
            It is operator error, whoever installed it. I never removed any fittings...I used the brush to rub around the outside cup of the fitting. Sometimes this helps to push flux in. It held, but because of the trouble, I decided it should come out.
            The homeowner has not moved in...he was not sleeping there...so he was instructed to turn the water off when he left last night. I thought about the flooding issue as well. That was also why it was decided to come back today.

Comment

I'll try to remove a leaking fitting and clean and resolder rather than run a cap. I've pulled some fittings appart that were soldered very poorly but had a thin rim of solder on the top of the fitting.
              Last edited by gear junkie; 06-21-2008, 01:26 PM.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

As most of them are simply o-ring seals good idea to make sure everything is lined up properly with no extra pressure being placed on plastic parts. I went to do a couple of small things on a new house yesterday. I need to bring my camera with me. Junk Lochinvar water heater was shoved in the back of a utility room, then the furnace installed. Only way to get it out would be to remove the furnace or cut your own door through the drywall and studs. 1/8" copper icemaker line was there, but the end was terminated somewhere up in the wall, maybe behind the refridgerator, maybe not. I ended up running a new 1/4" PEX line as opposed to cutting drywall trying to find the copper line. Frostless faucet was backpitched into the house. Gotta love some of new construction plumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  It is operator error, whoever installed it. I never removed any fittings...I used the brush to rub around the outside cup of the fitting. Sometimes this helps to push flux in. It held, but because of the trouble, I decided it should come out.
                  The homeowner has not moved in...he was not sleeping there...so he was instructed to turn the water off when he left last night. I thought about the flooding issue as well. That was also why it was decided to come back today.
                  Yea, sometimes I have luck resoldering, but usually the fitting must be just removed. At that point, I guess you're right, easier to just replace the fitting if you have one. It makes for an interesting dilemma if the authorization to repair is not in order yet. Went on a house that a realtor was trying to sell earlier this spring. The copper had split because of not being winterized properly. I was already there and they were having trouble getting the authorization to fix. I just said, screw your authorization, I am going to fix it as it was under $100, and we can figure out the rest later, as the new homeowner was willing to pay if the real estate company did not.
                  Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-21-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/pro...?do=ignorelist

This is really helpful feature, in case anyone might need it.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

Thanks, I'm sure that will come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

i like it and just did it to the person below you

now i dont have to read his BS
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Here is the pipe taken out of the fitting, no wonder it leaked!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Flux is cheap, leaks are expensive.
                            sigpic

Comment

Holy $hit!! Did you apply heat to the fitting befor you tried to take it apart?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X