Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussion" Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussi

The word "professional" is up for debate here. I am fairly new here and I know there are guys here that aren't masters but have more knowledge then some here that claim they are. They without a doubt belong. Just dont represent yourselfas something you aren't.

Comment

Re: Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussi

I vote leave the forum the way it is.
      I know I have been one of the guys who gets into debates sometimes with the DIYers. But I don't see anything wrong with it. I welcome them, and even if we don't always get along perfectly and we don't always see everything the same...thats ok, its called life, get used to it.

As far as people giving advice who aren't 'experts'. I don't worry about them. I feel we are all (the regulars) are doing a great job of 'self-policing' or whatever you wanna call it.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yea, I kinda like it how it is. I am enjoying the friendly banter and learning a lot. It doesn't hurt to stir the pot every now and then.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

My opinion ranges between NHMaster3015 and Masterplumb. I want and respect information and experience from outside our trade. And I would hope that everyone is honest about their qualifications. Leave the forum as is.
          Mike

Comment

Myakka did you take that picture in you avator? Thats pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              The word "professional" is up for debate here. I am fairly new here and I know there are guys here that aren't masters but have more knowledge then some here that claim they are. They without a doubt belong. Just dont represent yourselfas something you aren't.
              I'm glad to here you say that.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                I'm glad to here you say that.
                Well its true. One may work as a plumber for a long time and CHOOSE not to be a master for whatever reason, it doesnt mean he isnt a good or great plumber.

Comment

If you do plumbing or pipe fabricating for a living you are a professional. While some are more qualified than others an apprentice is a professional as much as a master is. Hopefully an apprentice will feel just as comfortable in this forum asking questions as a master will feel answering them.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    If you do plumbing or pipe fabricating for a living you are a professional. While some are more qualified than others an apprentice is a professional as much as a master is. Hopefully an apprentice will feel just as comfortable in this forum asking questions as a master will feel answering them.

Mark
                    i tell my helpers that they are co workers helping me an a job that im doing and some day i will be on there job helping them so i am there helper

and i tell them to think things through before asking me because i dont always have some one to ask all the time
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Utah pretty much nailed it.

I don't know if arrogance and being a plumber go hand in hand but it sure seems so.

Leave the forum alone.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I for one am thankfull for the forums current running format.That does not mean that I would intentionally drift a serious O/P's thread.We have a full spectrum of professionals with varying ability levels.Most of which appear to have the interests of participating through advice and experience.Some of the most helpfull tips I have recieved from the forum has been from those without a pompous pedigree.It gives me great pleasure helping others who strive to be the best they can.Besides where are these guys going to learn with the decline of the trade dropping at this rate.

I work in the trade all day,I have for decades.The last thing I would look forward to is coming to a stuffy work only atmoshere.My peers here also have a welcomed,witty sense of humor mixed with a lot of attitude...My kind of town!!!!

I'll say it again...sorry.
                        A contractor/master license means nothing to me because so many have found a way to put more energy into acquiring a certificate than providing the community with a service they believe they are paying for.

Comment

Once again, I'm impressed with the integrity of the posters here. I like what's been said...expert can mean a lot of things, so keep the forum open and public. If some hack comes on here and starts spreading B.S., without a doubt they will be put in their place by some of us. For the most part, the people answering "expert" questions here seem to know exactly what they are talking about and I've learned a bunch from the guys here, both plumbers and non-plumbers, licensed and non-licensed.
                          Things will always get a little messy with an 'open' forum. But I think its fun. If an argument breaks out and it gets heated, you can always ignore it....or join in and have fun with it.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                            The key here is that you perform your craft legally, as per your post. You are probably more qualified than I am - I just want the discussion to be professional and on topic.
                            I agree, I have gone well over my quota of spats with non professionals in this forum.
                            In fact I'm pretty sure I have dropped myself a notch or two in the social scale in the past, but my top priority has always been that we keep the pro's only forum for pro's only.
                            A professional steam fitter or pipe fitter who works within the guidelines of the law fits that category, a software engineer or screenwriter looking for free tips does not.

Here's a thread where I wound up debating this with a computer programmer who objected with the idea of the plumbers having a hidden forum where DIY's and non licensed individuals wouldn't be able to drop in and spark some of the ugliest confrontations I've ever seen in this forum:

Are we saying to much? - RIDGID Plumbing Forum, Woodworking Forum, Power Tool Forum

In the end, it's not logistacally probable that a closed forum would work, as you said...this is a forum for Ridgids promotional purposes, but there are times when I really wish we had one.

Comment

Leave it as it is. A thread that is WOT can be moved to another forum if need be.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I find no problem with a professional only forum. I am a professional maintenance man and at times I can use advice. I post in ask the plumber. If not there it will take a bit of reading or research. I am only posting in this forum at this time to voice my opinion of thediscussion. Any time i have asked for advice in ask the plumber i have received good advice from the members of the forum. Good luck with your quest,even though it only takes a bit of respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X